• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Servo Assisted ABS Pump Repair!

mehrten

Mehrten
Recently I've had a change in the front brake feel and pull on the front brake lever of our 2002 K1200RS equipped with the BMW Servo Assisted ABS brakes.

I contacted Module Masters who are known for their ABS pump repair via their web site (www.modulemaster.com) to see if this indicates there is a problem in the ABS pump or in the master cylinder.

Tyler of Module Masters replied with several questions that I answered, and at this time the problem might be in the master cylinder not the pump. Good news.

Time for me to pull and check the condition of the front master cylinder piston, piston sleeve and the to-and-from brake lines.

But...the real good news!

Module Masters are now repairing the BMW Motorcycle Servo Assisted ABS brake modules, aka The Whizzy Brake Pump.

Tyler stressed they are just starting to do repairs on these modules and they already have a significant backlog with no relief in the immediate future.

To quote Tyler, "You are welcome to pass the info along, but please stress that we are extremely backlogged on the rebuilds and currently have no ETA as to when we'll be caught up."

Yes! The Whizzy’s are back!

Over the last two days I have done some serious work on the front brakes on Rotti, our 2002 K1200RS. As I previously stated I noticed on the last two times we have taken Rotti out for a ride the front brake lever felt mushy. So I removed the master cylinder from the bike, replaced the piston, and then carefully and methodically bleed the front brake systems on the SVO ABS pump - several times actually. I had my fingers crossed the problem was not in the ABS pump.

The problem it seems WAS in the master cylinder. The replacement piston came out of a damaged master cylinder of known heritage, and by comparison the inner ring on the replaced piston was worn down. I cleaned the cylinder bore with a lint free rag and put everything back together and on the bike. I ran two cans of brake fluid through the system to insure no air was added during the master cylinder removal and reinstall.

Today I rode Rotti around the block and gave the fronts a workout. The lever pull is back to where it should be and the brakes are again Right Now!

A major thanks goes to Tyler of Module Masters, www.modulemaster.com, who helped me diagnose the problem. Considering the cost of a replacement ABS pump $$$$, two cans of brake fluid and two days of me elbows deep in Rotti’s brakes was downright cheap.

When I pulled into the garage after Rotti’s test ride I almost broke my arm patting myself on the back ;)

Just throwing in a huge recommendation for Module Master when / if anyone needs an ABS pump. They do amazing work. We had our K1200S ABS pump rebuilt a few years ago and I recommended then to a guy at Lebanon, but unfortunately forgot his name. Spend hundreds vs new from BMW at a couple grand. :)

ABS ll fault

I was very happy to see the reference to module master, as the ABS on my 1996 K1100LT is in fault mode as of last week. I didn't see a reference to motos on the module master web page so I sent an inquiry this afternoon. I was a bit concerned about the service(s) offered when I followed a link to module master because it redirected into something about airbags. Has module master sold the biz to another firm? Re-purposed their services and excluded work on motorcycle components? I expect to find the answers to those questions next week.

I was very happy to see the reference to module master, as the ABS on my 1996 K1100LT is in fault mode as of last week. I didn't see a reference to motos on the module master web page so I sent an inquiry this afternoon. I was a bit concerned about the service(s) offered when I followed a link to module master because it redirected into something about airbags. Has module master sold the biz to another firm? Re-purposed their services and excluded work on motorcycle components? I expect to find the answers to those questions next week.

Skip the links when there is confusion. Try. https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/ Then click Motorsports

OM

There could be more failure modes, but every failure of whizzy brakes that I've seen has manifested itself first with a failure of the ABS to initiate, confirmed by the dash warning light. I'm not aware of any pre-failure change in hydraulic feel.
I believe the predominant failures are in the electronics, and as such won't impact the hydraulic characteristics we feel at the controls.

FWIW, I had contacted ModualMaster a month or so ago about a rebuild. They mentioned the large backlog, as well as quoted a $750 price tag.

Back