• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Overheat scare

jhocjr

Riding home from work on my 2008 R1200RT(with 74,000 miles) I got stuck in bad traffic. The temps were in the 90's and quite quickly the temp gauge started to climb. Just as the red light of death started to flash I did some hairy lane splitting and barged my way on to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge where I was able to bring the temp back to normal. My question: is there any way to control the temps in those conditions. Is there any after market Fan or something else to help this problem? Before someone suggests this, there was no place to pull over and let the bike cool down. The bike does not appear to have suffered any ill effects but it rattled me pretty badly. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

First of all, every time you nervously blip the throttle, you burn more fuel and create more heat. Let it just idle.

I recall reading in very early service literature for Oilheads, one should limit idling to 30 minutes.

Actually truly first of all, if you’re concerned about heat use full synthetic motor oil.

Clearly if it’s obvious you’ll sit for a bit, shut it off.

I bought a used RTP fan and shroud off Ebay way back for about $100 for my '09 RT. Very easy to install, especially if you remove the front end first. Didn't want it thermostatically controlled, so wired in a waterproof LED switch where the radio controls would be if I had them. It works great.

Back