• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schubert SC 1

Like many I purchased a Schuberth C4 helmet during last springs fire sale, I held off buying the SC1 or the SC1 Advanced Bluetooth system due to the many horrible reviews. My question now have they got the bugs fixed? Next question any new models coming that will fit the C4? The last question has anyone tried any of the Bilt helmets sold by Cycle Gear with the integrated Bluetooth? ( can buy one for the same ar less than SC1 )
Thanks for all opinions and advice useful or not so useful. :)

Last edited:
You may get more replies with the name "Schuberth"....

Be careful of discounted Schuberth helmets..... I see a lot of my students buy these off eBay that are only ECE approved. No DOT sticker.... No wonder they got them so cheap.

ECE helmets are tested with DOT standards and then some. More rigourous and up to date testing means the same helmet will protect heads overseas as well as the US. With all the faux helmets in use on the US roads these days, an ECE approved helmet will not be a bad choice. I purchased my Schuberth C4 from The Netherlands and have had no issue using it.

As to the OP query, I have used the SC1 to bluetooth music from my old phone when riding my 2000 R1200C and have also paired it for comms when my wife is riding. I bought her a Sena 20S to put on her Shark helmet. I have yet to pair my SC1 to my new RT. With the audio set-up that came with the bike (SirusXM,) I do not need to stream music from my old phone. I also have Nav V! and do not need audio for that either.

I have read a lot of issues involving different pairing to various sources, which include the SC1, but most of the issues involve the precise sequence to pairing; they must be followed to a T from the paring guides. These happen a lot with non-SC1 helmets, too. The main reason I purchased the Schuberth C4 is due to the built in mic and speakers. Good combo, IMO.

Cheers,
William

Schuberth

You may get more replies with the name "Schuberth"....

Be careful of discounted Schuberth helmets..... I see a lot of my students buy these off eBay that are only ECE approved. No DOT sticker.... No wonder they got them so cheap.

Nope I got the big old melon head sized one with DOT sticker, I am considering getting the sc1 or sc1a from Europe but not sure of the radio band on the European version of the sc1a
As for spelling I took apples word for it.

I've had the SC1 Standard for about 11 months. The V2 upgrade fixed many of the issues you find in reviews done when the SC1 was first released. Audio multiplexing for instance, so nav voice plays over music rather then interrupting it. I find it pretty good at this point, though multiplexing isn't 100%.

I ride solo 99% of the time so I have only used the intercom once with another rider who was using a Sena 20S. Worked great. I have it paired to my Nav 6 and the BT audio on the 1250RT. Once in a while when I power up both the bike and helmet the BT audio doesn't connect and I have to turn off one or the other to get it all working. Not sure if that's the bike or the SC1 though. I'm happy I own it. I got my C4 right when RevZilla put them on sale, so I paid $349. For that price and the cost of the SC1 standard, I'm happy. Not sure I'd be as happy if I paid full price for the helmet though.

Last edited:
Sc1

Yes also got my C4 for $349 purchased at cycle gear so I could return to local store if needed. Also ride alone over 99% of the time and never have had a passenger, I just want to hear the directions from the phone or gps the last few miles of a trip ( I find I am not good at remembering turn by turn directions usually I forget the first turn I am supposed to make)
Thanks to all for advice

Navigation

I trust you aren't relying on them for navigation as well. ;-)

Yes I was, and by the time I stopped to see where I missed the turn I was supposed to take the Apple would calculate a new route. :banghead
I made a 200 mile trip from Staunton, Illinois to Braidwood, Illinois a 225 mile trip but road on no interstate highways few state highways and many county and township roads. Large urban areas, I passed through Clinton, Illinois ( less than 8,000 people) Gibson City ( less than 4,000 ) and Farmer City ( less than 2,000 ) it was a fun ride but who knew that I would not hear very well the iPhone in my shirt pocket under a mesh jacket while wearing a Shoei Neotec helmet and custom fit ear plugs while riding :scratch

Yes I was, and by the time I stopped to see where I missed the turn I was supposed to take the Apple would calculate a new route. :banghead
I made a 200 mile trip from Staunton, Illinois to Braidwood, Illinois a 225 mile trip but road on no interstate highways few state highways and many county and township roads. Large urban areas, I passed through Clinton, Illinois ( less than 8,000 people) Gibson City ( less than 4,000 ) and Farmer City ( less than 2,000 ) it was a fun ride but who knew that I would not hear very well the iPhone in my shirt pocket under a mesh jacket while wearing a Shoei Neotec helmet and custom fit ear plugs while riding :scratch

Gibson City...my hometown. Grew up on a farm a few miles east of Gibson City.

Next time through, the little German restaurant downtown has awesome food.

German Restaurant

Larry would this be the place from the name it looks German :)

299F3AEC-E91D-4D59-9F65-0A8801AB40AE.png

Map of Gibson City

The ECE standard might be good.....

ECE helmets are tested with DOT standards and then some. More rigourous and up to date testing means the same helmet will protect heads overseas as well as the US. With all the faux helmets in use on the US roads these days, an ECE approved helmet will not be a bad choice. I purchased my Schuberth C4 from The Netherlands and have had no issue using it.

I'm not arguing with your assertion about the relative rigor between the ECE and DOT standards, but there may be some instances where a ECE only certification could cause some problems. As an example, in PA you can't participate in the BRC or take the DMV riding exam with a non-DOT stamped helmet.

Back