• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So, my K1200S left me stranded today

ortizfja

I was on my way back home, and about 1 mile away. I kept thinking, do I push it home, or call AAA. AAA it was.

I’ve always had a bit of an issue starting it from cold, it would take about 3 or 4 times to start. But this time it just shut off on me while cruising. I release the clutch a couple of times, but it didn’t start. Glided to a stop on the side of the road, then tried to start it. It wouldn’t crank.

It sounded as if the battery did not have enough amps to crank the engine. About an hour later, when the AAA guy came around, I tried again. This time it did crank just fine, but it wouldn’t start.

I am starting to think its the fuel system.

Ideas?

Year of bike?
How old is the battery?
Fuel level in tank?
Last time it was fueled up?
OM

Year of bike?
How old is the battery?
Fuel level in tank?
Last time it was fueled up?
OM

Hi OM,
Bike: 2008
Fuel level: about 1/2 a tank
Last fuel: November last year. Bought it at Dunbar at the end of October last year, so it had some gas in it

Thanks,

Jose

I would check the battery condition first- especially if was not on a maintenance charger. I would also give it a good dose of Techron once it’s running.

It’s sounds like you are in the area, I’m wondering if you are the Jose looking to register for the YB forum?
If you are, I will check you in later.
Good luck.
Gary

Here is what I keyed on. It died. It wouldn't crank. An hour later it would crank, but not start.

I think the battery and or charging system allowed the operating voltage to drop to the point that ignition or injection or both was cut off. Then after sitting for an hour the battery rebounded a little bit - they do that - so it would crank but the voltage was still too low to allow the bike to start.

First charge the battery. Then test the battery. Then with a charged battery see if the bike will start and run. If so, test the charging system.

9 month old gas:hungover I would get fresh gas too.

Eugene,
You maybe onto something. Yesterday when I checked the bike, I looked into the tank and it was dry.

I was surprised because the gauge was telling me it had half a tank. Now I’m concerned that the gauge has malfunctioned.

Have you heard of fuel gauge malfunction on K1200s?

Here is what I keyed on. It died. It wouldn't crank. An hour later it would crank, but not start.

I think the battery and or charging system allowed the operating voltage to drop to the point that ignition or injection or both was cut off. Then after sitting for an hour the battery rebounded a little bit - they do that - so it would crank but the voltage was still too low to allow the bike to start.

First charge the battery. Then test the battery. Then with a charged battery see if the bike will start and run. If so, test the charging system.

Paul,
I think you are right. The current battery has always given me some trouble. Starting it from scratch takes me 3 to 4 tries. I ordered a new Odyssey battery.

About the gas. I believe that my fuel gauge is bad. It indicated half tank, but when I looked inside it was empty.

Jose

I would check the battery condition first- especially if was not on a maintenance charger. I would also give it a good dose of Techron once it’s running.

It’s sounds like you are in the area, I’m wondering if you are the Jose looking to register for the YB forum?
If you are, I will check you in later.
Good luck.
Gary

Yep, it must be me

Back