• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Firmware Update

cap

Former Member
I'm sure that most of you know that our bikes have many computer-controlled functions. What some of you might be surprised to discover is that we can update our firmware. Your bike received current BMW firmware when it was manufactured. Firmware receives periodic updates, but unless you specifically request it from your dealer, you won't get the updates. I was curious, so I scheduled an appointment with my local dealer (not the one from which I purchased) and asked for an update.

This service cost $130; I was billed for 1 hour of labor plus tax. Actually, their first invoice charged me for shop materials and battery "disposal fee," but they decided to delete those charges. I did not receive any explanation of changes made to the bike -- just handed an invoice, told the process was successful, and handed my key. I've had interactions with this dealer for 20 years spanning multiple owners and multiple locations in town. This level of interaction is fairly typical.

The bike ran fine. I was expecting to need to reset a lot of the instrument panel defaults, but most of them were unchanged. For example, it remembered my bluetooth pairing to my helmet, and the time and date. It switched me from "Road" mode to "Rain." It switched my default units to metric. No big deal.

I ran GS-911 when I got home. I have attached the autoscan file to this post. There are 9 firmware dates listed. Four of them are updated to today's date. Three others are listed as 99/99/99. I am not sure what this means. And two other firmwares were not updated: the ABS system and the ESA suspension system.

Cap

Attachments

• AutoScan_2019-08-08.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 167
Usually referred to as “the latest and greatest”, it’s nice to see the printout of the actual process :thumb
OM

Firmware receives periodic updates, but unless you specifically request it from your dealer, you won't get the updates.

My BMW Service Agent in South Australia applies the software updates whenever my bike is in for a service, without a specific request.

The updates presumably correct deficiencies in the original firmware. So, I'd expect any cost to be covered under the warranty. Why would the customer have to pay?

The updates presumably correct deficiencies in the original firmware. So, I'd expect any cost to be covered under the warranty. Why would the customer have to pay?

Apparently, because the Customer requested this specific Intervention... The Big Question Is: WTF are the independent dealers selling us? Our Phones & Computers get updates all the time; so do our cars! Why NOT our Spensive BMW motorcycles???

Ugh?
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

I have heard it both ways, and had some hope that this dealer would do it for free. But they were quite clear that they would charge for the service. Actually, they acted suspicious about my request, repeatedly asking me how I had heard that updates were even possible, and why I thought that any updates were available for my 2017 bike. Some dealers are better than others. I just happen to live near one of the “others.”

I have a couple of requests to those members who have a GS-911:

1. Do any of you have firmware dated 99/99/99?
2. Anyone with a newer bike: what firmware date do you have for ABS and ESA?

Thanks, cap

I believe the dealer I go to does firmware updates for no charge if requested and IF the bike is being serviced and already connected to the BMW computer anyway. If I just drive in and ask them to just connect my bike up and update the firmware they charge for that, maybe it is an hour, I know after they have it connected and logged in the update starts and may take another 15 minutes or more.

Interestingly, my Ducati tech told me that they cannot hook the computer up and do anything without updating firmware. I had some recalls done, firmware updated...

Firmware should most certainly be covered under warranty. And you shouldn't have to ask for it if your bike is in the shop. Firmware is software that controls how the hardware functions.
Its probably too much to expect BMW to list the problems resolved, or enhancements added for any particular update.

One more thing. If the update was released before your bikes warranty expired, I think a case could be made that it should be covered retroactively.

Figured I'd reply here instead of starting a new thread. Trying to see if I have the latest firmware version in my 2019 R1250RT. Has anyone with a 2019 or 2020 received an update recently? Have a GS911 report handy? If so please check:

XBMS01
Engine Controller

Look under Factory I Level and Actual Level (will be different from factory if its ever been updated)

Firmware date

Mine is:

Factory I- Level - K001-19-03-501
Actual I-Level - K001-19-03-501

Firmware date - 19/03/22 (March 22 2019)

I purchased my bike at the end of Jan. 2020 and had its 600 mile service done early Feb. I have Original firmware and Im curious if there is an updated version.

Thanks

According to members of the R1200R forum, there is a new update for the R/RS as of August 2020.

"There seems to be a new software update for the TFT on the r1250, version 022 005 041."

So I would guess that there may be a newer version available for the RT as well.

According to members of the R1200R forum, there is a new update for the R/RS as of August 2020.

"There seems to be a new software update for the TFT on the r1250, version 022 005 041."

So I would guess that there may be a newer version available for the RT as well.

Could be... Looking into it. I have read about updates to the bikes with the TFT screen. 1250RT still has the old school gauges so complete different firmware I would assume.

I have a couple of requests to those members who have a GS-911:

1. Do any of you have firmware dated 99/99/99?
2. Anyone with a newer bike: what firmware date do you have for ABS and ESA?

Thanks, cap

On my 2019 R1250RT I have firmware dated 99/99/99 on
XRDC
XSLZ

XABS Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD): 19/05/07
XSAF Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD): 19/05/22

The ESA firmware may be different because the suspension is not the same (Settings are Road or Auto on my 1250)
The ABS system might also be different (ABS Pro)

For factory level I have this:

Factory I-Level: K001-19-11-512
Actual I-Level: K001-19-11-512

production date: 2019-05-22

Could be... Looking into it. I have read about updates to the bikes with the TFT screen. 1250RT still has the old school gauges so complete different firmware I would assume.

The R1250RT has a mix of Analog and TFT

Back