Thread: New member from The Free State of Idaho

New member from The Free State of Idaho

Retired Air Force Officer living in Mt Home. No, not an Academy grad. I currently own a Ducati ST3S and a R1200RS. Long distance riding is not my thing. I tried it and hated it. I like canyon carving. It appears a K1300S will shortly be joining the garage. Iím retired with two parrots, a cat, wife and grandkids.

Welcome to the forum! I was going to ask about the forum name, but you beat me to the answer...you must get asked that a lot!! Interesting order of preference with the "retired" things. Just kidding!

Spent a night in Twin Falls last year. Fascinated with the Evel Knievel jump site...can't get close to it anymore. But nice scenery in Idaho!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Welcome, zoomie, to the forum. Our son and daughter-in-law live in Boise area and we visit couple times of the year. Really nice place, I could live there. I am a retired Soldier, so we have that military thing in common also. Unlike you though, I have done, and love, a fair bit of two-wheel traveling: all the lower 48 three times on three different bikes over the years.

Glad to have you aboard.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

My long distance trip was from Vandenberg AFB (just north of Santa Barbara, CA) to Ellsworth AFB (Rapid City, SD) via Cheyenne, WY, in 1980, on a 1978 naked Honda CB 750 in July. My luggage was bungee corded to the seat. I lost my canteen somewhere west of Laramie. I thought I might die. Then, I wished I would. I tried again last year on a loaded 2016 R1200RS on a trip to Lewiston, ID, from Mt Home, ID. A motel and bed cut that trip short by 40 miles. Yes, I am a wuss!

Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    My long distance trip was from Vandenberg AFB (just north of Santa Barbara, CA) to Ellsworth AFB (Rapid City, SD) via Cheyenne, WY, in 1980, on a 1978 naked Honda CB 750 in July. My luggage was bungee corded to the seat. I lost my canteen somewhere west of Laramie. I thought I might die. Then, I wished I would. I tried again last year on a loaded 2016 R1200RS on a trip to Lewiston, ID, from Mt Home, ID. A motel and bed cut that trip short by 40 miles. Yes, I am a wuss!
    You are not a wuss, just not a two-wheel traveler. Lots of folks who love to ride are not interested in traveling longer distances on them. If you had "the gene" you would not even notice those small things that irritate you about the activity. Don't worry about it, just continue to enjoy the stuff you love about motorcycles.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Well, it starts as a great idea, but when you are extremely uncomfortable, tired, hot/cold and miserable, a cage starts to look good. Blasphemy! My problem is that I donít do long distances on the correct bike.

Hi Zoomie, just posted to your inquiry. My longest distance ride was to Alaska 2 years ago. Last year a week long trip to the badlands via every park/site both coming and going. It's a mindset. It got me through 20 years Military, 25 years Micron, 42 years marriage. Quitting not an option...I might miss something.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    Well, it starts as a great idea, but when you are extremely uncomfortable, tired, hot/cold and miserable, a cage starts to look good. Blasphemy! My problem is that I donít do long distances on the correct bike.
    That's sorta what I meant by "the gene". When/if you are a real long distance rider, you kinda enjoy being uncomfortable, tired, hot, cold and miserable. And you cannot imagine being in a cage instead of on a bike. Oh Ö and the kind of bike does not really matter either; I am a firm believer that a two-wheel traveler can do it on ANY bike. I have seen folks riding cross-country on a Vespa scooter, a 250cc sport bike, and a mid-size dirt bike. Most impressive, to me, was the guy riding coast-to-coast on an unmodified Hayabusa. (BTW, the most recent Iron Butt Rally had a finisher--yes, a FINISHER--on a 300cc bike!) I have done my longest rides, and longest trips, on an FZ1.

None of this is to suggest you are not a dedicated rider, just that you don't seem to have the gene for long distance travel. Most folks don't, and the majority of those few that do are probably members of this forum. Heck, most motorcycle owners probably only ride on nice weekends, and even then rarely outside their city limits. Take a look at all the almost-new, very low mileage bikes for sale.

If I get back to Idaho on a bike, I will try to look you up.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

On a 310 one?

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    On a 310 one?
    Not a BMW, but a Kawasaki Versys 300, I think it was. Rider's name was Kurt Worden Ö or something similar. Sorry I might have his name wrong. It must have been a terrific Rally for him. That has sorta been a dream of mine, to take a long ride all over the US (but not at an Iron Butt Rally pace!) on a smallish bike. I believe it would be way more fun than on something like a Goldwing or a Harley Glide or a 1600GTL.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Not a BMW, but a Kawasaki Versys 300, I think it was. Rider's name was Kurt Worden Ö or something similar. Sorry I might have his name wrong. It must have been a terrific Rally for him. That has sorta been a dream of mine, to take a long ride all over the US (but not at an Iron Butt Rally pace!) on a smallish bike. I believe it would be way more fun than on something like a Goldwing or a Harley Glide or a 1600GTL.
    We are in Utah, on our way to Nakusp, British Columbia from New Mexico, on our G310GSs.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    We are in Utah, on our way to Nakusp, British Columbia from New Mexico, on our G310GSs.
    Yeah, and you and Voni are sort of my motorcycle idols. Probably the same for lots of folks on this forum.

Good luck and have a great trip.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Cool, see you there again.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA