• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Colorado; what was going on Saturday? (Aug 3, '19)

MountainRyder

Hi Everyone:

We went over Trailridge (Rocky Mountain Nat Park) for breakfast early Saturday (Aug 3) morning (not actually relevant, but wanted to make you jealous) and decided to head south to run Berthoud Pass.

We must have passed nearly 150 motorcycles all heading north towards Granby on highway 40, some in large packs of 10 or more and lots of smaller groups. We guessed at least half the motorcycles were BMW and there was an extraordinary amount of RTs, mostly wetheads.

We ride about 10k a year through Colorado and in the last 10 years I've never seen more than 1 or 2 wetheads a day. To see 20 or 25 in a span of about 30 minutes was extremely odd.

Where was everyone going? What was going on? Why so many RTs, and specifically wetheads? Yes, lots of GSs too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jeff:

It might have been the 20th annual 100,000 Foot Ride.

And welcome to the Forum.

Jeff:

It might have been the 20th annual 100,000 Foot Ride.

And welcome to the Forum.

That's exactly it! I should have known, thanks so much for the info, and for the welcome. I've been a long time lurker, only the other day had something to post.

I've long wanted to do some riding in Colorado, and I've had Steve Farson's guide book for a couple of years, so I could probably plan a pretty good route.

I can help

I've long wanted to do some riding in Colorado, and I've had Steve Farson's guide book for a couple of years, so I could probably plan a pretty good route.

I have the same book and have been working to ride every one of those rides that are appropriate for our wethead. We got back Monday from a four day, 1,200 mile ride around Colorado. I'd be happy to help you find a nice route if you come this way some day.

Back