• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Blue Ridge Parkway

don't think anyone has posted this link yet (?) all the info you could want on the BRP http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ and thier maps
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/maps.htm this site can't be beat for all the info they have on places to stay, things to do etc. They can send you a hard copy as well, that is what I used when I did the entire road and the Smokys back in 2000.
Go before the summer break, south to north always seems less conjested (which you will be doing anyway). My favorite place to stay on the south end is The Alpine Inn in Little Switzerland, NC just a mile off the parkway on alt 226. they have the most stunning views and sit at around 3500ft right on the very edge of the mountain so the whole valley opens up below, and are very motorcycle friendly, when I stayed there they brought out something to put under my sidestand to keep the bike from sinking into the pavement.
i ALWAYS recommend them to anyone who has the time to overnight there.

And yes, watch out for the deer in the early AM and late evening, they are ALL over the road!

RM

I book marked the Alpine Inn. That place is awesome ! Gorgous views, friendly service and a great price. Thanks RM.

RTRandy said:
I book marked the Alpine Inn. That place is awesome ! Gorgous views, friendly service and a great price. Thanks RM.

And... you gotta ride down the hill and back up NC Alt 226 while you're there ! :clap

If you take the Parkway be prepared for a "scenic" ride . . . and not a ÔÇ£spiritedÔÇØ ride. Speed limits are slow and they are enforced. Also, be prepared to get stuck behind long Harley ÔÇ£ConvoysÔÇØ. (The speed limit on the Parkway is low. The Harleys will be going slower than the speed limit.) The best time to ride is during the week.

Avoid DealÔÇÖs Gap on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The road is too crowded with kids on sports bikes. Someone crashes almost every weekend. Some of the kids think nothing of passing you on a double yellow line in a blind curve.

The Cherohala Skyway is a hoot ÔÇô with lotÔÇÖs of fast sweepers. I personally think that it is one of the best rides in that part of North Carolina/Tennessee.

Stop in Tellico Plains ÔÇô along the river ÔÇô and have some pork barbeque. I canÔÇÖt remember the name of the place but you canÔÇÖt miss it. The food is great.

gfspencer said:
If you take the Parkway be prepared for a "scenic" ride . . . and not a ÔÇ£spiritedÔÇØ ride. Speed limits are slow and they are enforced.
Alas, this is true, especially the enforcement part, even on New Year's Day. 'Tis a sad story. :violin

Fred

Nothing wrong with taking it easy and enjoying the scenery on the Blue Ridge or the Dragon Tail. If the sport bikes want to pass over the double line, so be it. I'm just not going to be in a hurry on those days. Hopefully with some sensible riding and the Valentine working overtime, I can avoid the cops.

Not a day goes by without thinking of this trip. I'm coming up on 90 days to "Clutch out" hopefully on July 6th. :brad

Blue Ridge

RTRandy,

My wife and I rode the BRP end to end and back two years ago in July. Never broke a sweat except when we came down for gas. Expect fog, heavy with a rain like fall at times. Need I say "deer"? Speeding fines are HEAVY.

It is a great ride I would do again in a heart beat. Also, check out the biker friendly Stations Inn.

Ride safe,
Dan

Just an FYI, I think I saw this on bmwbmw or advrider, but apparently speeding on the BRP is a felony because it's a national park, and there's allegedly no such thing as a federal misdemeanor. Food for thougth when planning times.

That being said.... guess I've committed a lot of felonies.

blued ridge info

I just moved bact to Vermont after 3.5 years in Hendersonville, NC. the firs two years i spent a lot of time on the BRP, but got sick of dodging travel trailers. When you enter a corner it is best to stay as far to the right as you can. Also, last year the rangers started clamping down on speeders

BRP ride

Do the southern portion if at all possible. From Cherokee to Linville Falls is the twistersÔÇÖ. I live in Memphis and normally stay the night in Athen, TN and the next morning do the Cherhola Skyway west to east, then Deals Gap east to west, then take the Foothills Parkway on the west side of the National Park and then back over the mountains to Cherokee and the beginning of the BRP. I can only make it to Ashville, NC from Athen, TN in one day doing it that way. The next day I make it to Roanoke, VA and then the next day to Front Royal via the BRP and Skyline Drive.
Weather can really slow you down, particularly the fog.

Koop wrote:
"You can ride the BRP in one day but you will not enjoy doing it that way. You do want to ride both of the ends however and the middle is pretty cool too. I am not sure if the detour up close to Mt Mitchel is open or not yet."

It wasn't open 2 weeks ago when I was there.

Back