Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads 2005 R1200GS

davemulac@yahoo.com

Brake pads 2005 R1200GS

I just turned over 20,000 miles on my 2005 gs and need to replace the break pads. I was looking for some advice brand and type of pads to install. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Semper_Fi; 03-25-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Fixed title 2005 GS

Do you by any chance mean Brake Pads?

If so I highly recommend the "HH" pads by EBC
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Fixed title and added year/type

+1 on EBC
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Great article! Seems like the folks who posted comments after the article were having trouble finding anything but OEM and EBC in the USA. Anyone in the U.S. find a good source for the Brembo or Lucas pads?
    14 R1200GS, 02 R1150RT (retired)

Another great pad is Carbone-Lorraine. These are almost exclusivly used in Nascar,
    and I'm very happy with them on my RS. Low dusting too.

they did take about 1000 miles to really seat in and work well however.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

EBC HH fan. Work well. A bit harder on the rotor then BMWs pads, but they also last longer..

dmulac, please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I've added that info to the thread title. It's useful info that may help get someone with something to add to look at your thread.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I use EBC hh on the RT. Is there any reason that pads for an R12RT would be different from R12GS? Serious question, just curious.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I use EBC hh on the RT. Is there any reason that pads for an R12RT would be different from R12GS? Serious question, just curious.
    When I order them, they don't break down by specific model, just R12XX series...have used on RT's and GS's for some time.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Speaking of pads, what is everybody's experience with the BMW R series oem pads? How many miles they lasted? Let's hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
    Speaking of pads, what is everybody's experience with the BMW R series oem pads? How many miles they lasted? Let's hear.
    06 r12gs, front pads still oem at 67,000 miles. Rear have been replaced 3 times. And I apply both the brake pedal and the brake lever when slowing down.
    max

Brake pad distances are going to be totally rider and roads dependent. If you like to play and generally ride twisties fast (or double) you'll chew up pads a lot faster than guy doing straight line commutes at lower speeds.
    With that caveat here is some info from my 08 RT
    1) Stock rear ( a lousy pad, no feel,no bite) low 20K miles
    2) EBC HH rear pad 7-10K miles shorter life caused by the fact that it actually works half way decent so get used a lot more
    3) Stock front pad low 30s K miles. Pads are OK but a bit low on inital bite
    4) Front EBC HH - Don't know haven't worn out yet. Have more bite that stock but decent linear feel. A cheaper and worthwhile improvement over stock IMO. Dealer sells and recommends them.

By and large, the factory setup seems to be built around the premise that riders are unskilled fools who need to be protected from themselves so utility is compromised in stock trim in the name of perceived safety. I prefer the brakes on a K1200RS I ride to those on the R1200RT by a big margin.

Inside pads wear fastest by design, front and rear- so don't just look at the outside or you might end up with a scored rotor.

I am not one to worry too much about rotor life- as long as its decent that's good enough- don't expect them to last forever. Main thing about brakes to me is effectiveness and feel so one can trail brake and brake aggressively with confidence. I'd be interested in trying the Brembos if I ever come across a set....

I've had no serious issues with BMW stock rotors on mine probably because I keep them clean and use them hard enough and my wheels didn't come with any machining problems.

The EBC bike pads seem pretty good but I've had nothing but bad experiences with a whole range of EBC car pads when students brought cars to the track that had them. Ended up changing a few sets to Hawks carried at the trackside store to keep students running. For my money, only Performance Friction makes first class pads for car racing but they need to be used on cars fully set for the track as they can spike extremely high rotor surface temps and therefore demand excellent brake cooling setups.

Brake pads a TAD early?

My GSA1200 @ 80000m has the originals. I do all the above canyon carving, hard riding on and off road! Boy, some are different indeed! The pads on mine still look to do 100000m before I change them. Came to this thread, because I'm starting to look myself for pads. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Great article! Seems like the folks who posted comments after the article were having trouble finding anything but OEM and EBC in the USA. Anyone in the U.S. find a good source for the Brembo or Lucas pads?
    I have an answer to my own question. I had no luck in the US finding any Brembo motorcycle pads, which were the top rated ones from the article LCampbell mentioned. I ended up taking the part number from the article and ordering them from CarpiMoto in Italy (http://www.carpimoto.it/EN/). I think all in it was about $158 with two-day shipping (the only option). I've fitted the rear pads so far and like them. I don't really notice a difference from the OEM pads but that is fine because I was happy with the OEM pads and these are much cheaper. I will probably fit the front pads in a few thousand more miles. Anyhow, I was very happy with CarpiMoto, so check them out for Brembo pads.
    14 R1200GS, 02 R1150RT (retired)

$158.00 for a set of pads??? What do they do, self install? That's a whole bunch more than what I paid for the EBC "HH" pads and they work great.

Motorcycle superstore has the EBC HH pads for R1200s for $35.99 a set, front or rear and they're in stock.
    Last edited by MPMARTY; 06-25-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: add pricinf info
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)