• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid Sept Run to the Maritimes from NC

RYD1WD

I'm planning on rolling north from the RA National Rally in VA to Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland... wondering if the collective here has some nuggets of goodness (roads, sites, lodging, eateries, things to experience) to share that may be along my way?

When you come to PEI you’ll find that most of the best riding is along the well-marked coastal tourist routes. You’ll find people friendly, the cops neither ubiquitous nor particularly zealous, and the pace pretty relaxed. Do watch out for a lot of very disconnected drivers (on bikes as well as in cars) who can be relied upon to do the unexpected, usually without signals!

There are lots of good eateries on the Island, from the exclusive and highly- priced to the cheap and good. When you’re in Charlottetown there is lots of choice on Queen St. If you’re in my home of Murray Harbour the Harbourview has the best chowder on the Island, while #5 Cafe has fine food in a lovingly converted former church.

Have fun!

Greg, let me know what your dates are going to be for Nova Scotia, and if you have any specific interests.

The BMW Owners of Nova Scotia (BMWONS) meets every Thursday evening (during the riding season) from 6 pm on, behind the Chicken Burger in Bedford, NS. Our Club is 40+ years old and we have several members who have been with us since the beginning and members scattered around Nova Scotia. There are, like many places, far too many great rides and sights to see than most trips will allow for.

Nova Scotia is home to five UNESCO-designated sites along with North America's first certified and UNESCO-supported, Starlight Tourist Destination.

If you haven't been here before, you will naturally want to do the Cabot Trailand the UNESCO recognized Bras d’Or Lake Biosphere.
bras-dor-lake.jpg

Many motorcycle magazines list the Cabot Trail as one of the Top-5 Motorcycle Rides in North America.
You sound as though you will be here a bit before our Annual Fall Colours Ride: https://www.facebook.com/events/2548213538557356/
Cabot Trail going into Cheticamp.jpg

Then there is Lunenburg and the surrounding areas:
lunenburg_harbour_fall-28329.jpg

Mahone Bay:
The_Churches_of_Mahone_Bay,_NS.jpg

There really is enough to keep you riding for a month, and tons of history.

https://www.novascotia.com/

There are also plenty of non-motorcycle Events to take in and enjoy while you're here. You've just missed our International Buskers Festival, but click here for some listings

(https://www.explorenovascotia.com/travel-tourism/festivals-events/?mid=9&rid=0):

halifax-banner-image.jpg

Just for your edification Newfoundland is not part of the Maritimes, it is part of the Atlantic Provinces. If you want more info on Newfoundland I can help you out, fell free to PM me.

Newfoundland also has a number of UNESCO sites and being the 13th largest island in the world you can get lost here for months. All of the Atlantic provinces are unique with very different landscapes and cultures. Newfoundlanders have the reputation of being some of the nicest people in the world and speaking from a biased standpoint our scenery is the best on the continent. In this perspective I speak from experience having lived and worked coast to coast, north and south in Canada and the US.

PEI is pretty but too many stop signs for me.

We are turning our place into a B&B for touring motorcycles so we will have space for you folks when you come through. Here's my build thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/newfoundland-two-wheel-inn-campground-under-construction.1234815/

As for Mid September I'll probably be gone as I'm aiming to hit the CroMag rally and R65 LS/R80 GS 40th anniversary rallies on the back end of my next work hitch.

Back