• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Recommendations / Upgrading from Garmin 395

pistol_pete

Hello all-
My Garmin 395 is no longer charging in the mount and I've read about problems/issues with the mount and cables charging the device. I've had it for a 3-4 years now and, instead of getting a new cable and troubleshooting, I think I may just upgrade to a new GPS.

Any recos? The 596 looks nice, but it's kind of expensive - let me know if any owners with the 596 have issues with charging in the motorcycle mount.

Thanks!
Pete

I've been doing similar research, though my Zumo is older than yours.
I'm going to get the 396, and save some money, compared to the 595. With TPMS already on my motorcycle, I don't see any advantage (for me) to get the 595. The 396 has most of the same connectivity; optional live traffic, etc. and has wifi map updates. I know nothing of the charging cradle, except that it is different than the BMW nav cradle/Zumo 550.

If your 395 isn't charging in the cradle you might have the same issue as the Zumo 590. My 590 wasn't charging in the cradle.

I did a search and saw this fix: http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.com/2017/06/garmin-zumo-590lm-battery-fix.html This took me maybe 5-10 minutes to do, and if I can do this anyone can. You might give this a try and see if it fixes your charging problem. This fix worked great for my 590.

Then again, if you really are looking for a new GPS I suppose non-charging is a good excuse.....

Welcome to the forum Pete

Do you happen to have a bike with the BMW GPS Prep cradle?
If you have this you may want to look at a used BMW Navigator V or new Navigator VI.
Your eyes might roll back in your head when you see the price of the VI.

Welcome to the forum Pete

Do you happen to have a bike with the BMW GPS Prep cradle?
If you have this you may want to look at a used BMW Navigator V or new Navigator VI.
Your eyes might roll back in your head when you see the price of the VI.

Don't waste your money on a Nav V. On my bike, a K1600GTL with the factory cradle and dash surround, it's too feeble and faint to be visible during the day. Virtually useless.

Don't waste your money on a Nav V. On my bike, a K1600GTL with the factory cradle and dash surround, it's too feeble and faint to be visible during the day. Virtually useless.
Both my wife and I use a Nav V.
We only ride during daylight hours.

Since your bike won't integrate with a BMW Navigator it's not worth buying one unless you find a good deal.
Anther Zuma like you have is probably the best bet.

Hello all-
My Garmin 395 is no longer charging in the mount and I've read about problems/issues with the mount and cables charging the device. I've had it for a 3-4 years now and, instead of getting a new cable and troubleshooting, I think I may just upgrade to a new GPS.

Any recos? The 596 looks nice, but it's kind of expensive - let me know if any owners with the 596 have issues with charging in the motorcycle mount.

Thanks!
Pete

Have you checked into replacing the battery, i’ve Had similar issues with devices that wouldn’t charge, fresh battery pack saved the day
Jim

Back