• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Here's to quality design and construction! (and just good luck)

discoboy

I used to ride a 1999 BMW R1100RT. I absolutely loved it. Everything I wanted in a bike. It was just broken in (21k miles) and purring.

I was rear-ended by a car two days ago. I was stopped at a traffic signal and the car hit me from behind at full speed (25 to 30 MPH). The impact drove me and the bike forward into the stopped SUV in front of me. Parts all over the road. I'm pretty sure the bike is totaled. But the really amazing part? Except for minor abrasions I appear to be perfectly OK! I've been to the hospital, had all the tests and imaging. No broken bones, nothing. Looks like the R1100RT absorbed most of the energy. Plus, I was sitting high enough so the impact of the car behind me (Mustang) was below me at the rear wheel level. Of course, I was wearing a Shoei helmet, which helped, too.

So, here's to excellent design and construction!

This was my first BMW motorcycle. Now I have another reason to love it. Already looking at the new R1250RT. Beautiful bike.

Sorry to hear about the incident. Most importantly, glad to hear you're doing OK!

Wow, glad you seem to be fine! Hopefully just some sore muscles the next few days:thumb

Terrible method to new bike shop however:eek

As it turns out I have concussion symptoms. Pretty awful. At least I don't have any broken bones I guess.

Last edited:
I used to ride a 1999 BMW R1100RT. I absolutely loved it. Everything I wanted in a bike. It was just broken in (21k miles) and purring.

I was rear-ended by a car two days ago. I was stopped at a traffic signal and the car hit me from behind at full speed (25 to 30 MPH). The impact drove me and the bike forward into the stopped SUV in front of me. Parts all over the road. I'm pretty sure the bike is totaled. But the really amazing part? Except for minor abrasions I appear to be perfectly OK! I've been to the hospital, had all the tests and imaging. No broken bones, nothing. Looks like the R1100RT absorbed most of the energy. Plus, I was sitting high enough so the impact of the car behind me (Mustang) was below me at the rear wheel level. Of course, I was wearing a Shoei helmet, which helped, too.

So, here's to excellent design and construction!

This was my first BMW motorcycle. Now I have another reason to love it. Already looking at the new R1250RT. Beautiful bike.

Praise the Lord! Enjoy your next RT they are amazement on wheels :)

I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

Glad to hear you're OK

Sorry to hear about your bike's destruction but glad to hear you've got minimal damage to yourself. Bikes are replaceable. Heal up and enjoy shopping for your next ride.

As it turns out I have concussion symptoms. Pretty awful. At least I don't have any broken bones I guess.

Even though you were wearing a helmet ? Do you know what your head hit?

Sorry this happened to you ! Hope you heal quickly & completely.

I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

"it confirms my ATGATT attitude"

Did you read the part about his concussion?

Better concussed than unconscious with a skull fracture or dead.

Protective gear reduces injuries, it cannot eliminate them all.

As a matter of fact, I did...30 MPH rear end no road rash or broken bones blah blah...possible concussion. Makes me think: I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

Did you have an observation? Would have been the same result with little or no gear? I don't think my {personal, honest} response was out of line- it was how I felt.

As a matter of fact, I did...30 MPH rear end no road rash or broken bones blah blah...possible concussion. Makes me think: I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

Did you have an observation? Would have been the same result with little or no gear? I don't think my {personal, honest} response was out of line- it was how I felt.

I did not mean to imply that your response was out of line. It certainly was not. You & everyone are entitled to state your view on anything.

My view on the whole thing is long , and goes against the tide here. So I'll just keep it to myself.

My standard opinion is ....there are so many,many ways to enjoy a motorcycle, no matter the size, the brand or where they are ridden. What ever that is, for whomever they are , I hope they enjoy their's as much as i have enjoyed mine......jmo.

I did not mean to imply that your response was out of line. It certainly was not. You & everyone are entitled to state your view on anything.

My view on the whole thing is long , and goes against the tide here. So I'll just keep it to myself.

My standard opinion is ....there are so many,many ways to enjoy a motorcycle, no matter the size, the brand or where they are ridden. What ever that is, for whomever they are , I hope they enjoy their's as much as i have enjoyed mine......jmo.

I have a feeling we share a brand agnostic appreciation of motorcycles I’m a little embarrassed to admit I have gear to “match” each of the three brands I own. (Harley Triumph and BMW) leather fabric denim (patches aerostich etc) etc. full face modular 3/4- I’m also opposed to any regulation thereof (helmet laws). My son thinks he’s bulletproof and gears up accordingly- I don’t interfere (as of that would do any good! Ha) Anyway, I’m oldish (72) and relatively newish to riding (15 years or so) for ME it’s probably a good idea to protect all the parts I can! The OP reminded me that FOR ME that’s probably a good idea.

AND- I’m having a blast!

I have a feeling we share a brand agnostic appreciation of motorcycles I’m a little embarrassed to admit I have gear to “match” each of the three brands I own. (Harley Triumph and BMW) leather fabric denim (patches aerostich etc) etc. full face modular 3/4- I’m also opposed to any regulation thereof (helmet laws). My son thinks he’s bulletproof and gears up accordingly- I don’t interfere (as of that would do any good! Ha) Anyway, I’m oldish (72) and relatively newish to riding (15 years or so) for ME it’s probably a good idea to protect all the parts I can! The OP reminded me that FOR ME that’s probably a good idea.

AND- I’m having a blast!

Well.......keep having a blast & ride safe for sure............:thumb

Glad you are OK

First and foremost, glad to hear you walked away. Concussions heal. Other types of injuries....

One has to keep alert at all times. Earlier this year I was coming up to a stop light with a vehicle in front of me and what I thought was a vehicle behind that was going to stop. I make a habit of checking my rear view mirrors every time I slow to stop. This older Ford Explorer behind me did not seem to be slowing down enough. When I looked closer, I saw the woman’s head pointed down (at her cell phone I assumed) with no idea what was in front of her.

I managed to scoot around the stopped car in front of me and got into the turning lane, just in time to hear tires squeal and the infamous “Crunch” of two cars colliding. If I had not been paying attention, I would have been the filling in that sandwich. Coolant and parts all over the road. When she hit, probably only doing 15-20 mph, but looked a lot worse from the damage.

When the police came, I shared my observations with them along with what I assumed was the cell phone distraction. Sad part is that the woman turned to me and asked me what I was doing there. She not only was distracted at the time of the crash, she was completely ignorant of her surroundings and others on the road.

It could have been a lot worse and I thank God that someone was watching out for me that day.

Even though you were wearing a helmet ? Do you know what your head hit?

Sorry this happened to you ! Hope you heal quickly & completely.

I think my helmet bounced off the back of the SUV in front of me. At the very least the impact caused whiplash.

The helmet protected me from visible damage (took an impact on the face mask too), but when you stop a helmet in motion the brain inside your skull is still moving and bangs up against the inside of your skull. Brain sheering I think they call it.

First and foremost, glad to hear you walked away. Concussions heal. Other types of injuries....

One has to keep alert at all times. Earlier this year I was coming up to a stop light with a vehicle in front of me and what I thought was a vehicle behind that was going to stop. I make a habit of checking my rear view mirrors every time I slow to stop. This older Ford Explorer behind me did not seem to be slowing down enough. When I looked closer, I saw the woman’s head pointed down (at her cell phone I assumed) with no idea what was in front of her.

I managed to scoot around the stopped car in front of me and got into the turning lane, just in time to hear tires squeal and the infamous “Crunch” of two cars colliding. If I had not been paying attention, I would have been the filling in that sandwich. Coolant and parts all over the road. When she hit, probably only doing 15-20 mph, but looked a lot worse from the damage.

When the police came, I shared my observations with them along with what I assumed was the cell phone distraction. Sad part is that the woman turned to me and asked me what I was doing there. She not only was distracted at the time of the crash, she was completely ignorant of her surroundings and others on the road.

It could have been a lot worse and I thank God that someone was watching out for me that day.

FWIW, I instinctively check my mirrors whenever slowing down, stopping or turning. I make every effort to let other drivers around me know what I'm doing (blinking the brake light, turn signals augmented by hand signals, direct eye contact), and I try to be aware of all possibilities for other vehicles around me (unexpected stops, unexpected turns, etc.). In this case I had already checked before stopping but, having been long (relatively) stopped I was not staring at the rear view mirrors, so I was caught unawares when this guy rear ended me. Not sure what I could have done to avoid this one other than not ride motorcycles at all.

He was playing with his cell phone. Just like the ******* that rear ended my car in March, also at a stop light. Cell phones are the real problem.

The operator of the cellphone is the problem. Hope you are doing OK. I had a young girl roll into me one day so slow I thought my clutch was giving out. That is when I noticed her thumb typing, so I laid on my horn and started screaming at her. I stayed upright. She started crying and said she was going to call the police on me. I advised her that she better call the police, and she drove off. By the way I grew up in Fitchburg so we used to go to Worcester a lot. Again I hope all is well with you and keep riding.

I have installed a TIR strobe light (red) on the rear fender of all of my bikes. This TIR light is similar to that found on law enforcement and emergency vehicles. Most of these types of lights have multiple blink patterns from which to choose. I use a blink pattern that is three rapid red flashes followed by a brief pause then the pattern repeats. This strobe light is set to illuminate while my brake light is on. I have aimed the light to be horizontal (versus slightly pointing upward as would be the case if directly mounted to the fender). I use some small plastic spacers and a grinder to set the angle for the strobe lights. My goal is not to blind the car directly behind me, but rather to get the attention of someone a hundred or more yards back. Such a continuously flashing light is not legal in some states; it is ok in NC where I now live. Many states have an ordinance prohibiting making one's vehicle appear as an emergency vehicle. I can make an argument that this supplemental brake light is not easily confused with an emergency vehicle, but is a safety feature in this age of distracted drivers.

It was a bit of a challenge to get this fitted to a bike using CANBUS. On my 2018 R1200RTW I discovered that the black-grey-yellow wire in the rear cowl does not use PWM to drive the brake light. This wire is used for the aux LED on the optional top box and works to drive the TIR strobe. Following is an image of one such light; there are many similar options available. Links are provided to a few examples -

81luaB-dCtL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-Emerge...rds=swift+tir&qid=1566330790&s=gateway&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/NanoFlare-Pa...r+lamphus+red&qid=1566331848&s=gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Abrams-T3-R-...CYC302N6Z2E&psc=1&refRID=M6WYCYWG4CYC302N6Z2E

https://www.amazon.com/Whelen-Engin...330730&s=gateway&sprefix=TIR3,aps,133&sr=8-31

Back