Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Here's to quality design and construction! (and just good luck)

Here's to quality design and construction! (and just good luck)

I used to ride a 1999 BMW R1100RT. I absolutely loved it. Everything I wanted in a bike. It was just broken in (21k miles) and purring.

I was rear-ended by a car two days ago. I was stopped at a traffic signal and the car hit me from behind at full speed (25 to 30 MPH). The impact drove me and the bike forward into the stopped SUV in front of me. Parts all over the road. I'm pretty sure the bike is totaled. But the really amazing part? Except for minor abrasions I appear to be perfectly OK! I've been to the hospital, had all the tests and imaging. No broken bones, nothing. Looks like the R1100RT absorbed most of the energy. Plus, I was sitting high enough so the impact of the car behind me (Mustang) was below me at the rear wheel level. Of course, I was wearing a Shoei helmet, which helped, too.

So, here's to excellent design and construction!

This was my first BMW motorcycle. Now I have another reason to love it. Already looking at the new R1250RT. Beautiful bike.
    An evil barbarian with a wrench in his pocket

Sorry to hear about the incident. Most importantly, glad to hear you're doing OK!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Wow, glad you seem to be fine! Hopefully just some sore muscles the next few days

Terrible method to new bike shop however
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

As it turns out I have concussion symptoms. Pretty awful. At least I don't have any broken bones I guess.
    Last edited by discoboy; 08-07-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    An evil barbarian with a wrench in his pocket

Quote Originally Posted by discoboy View Post
    I used to ride a 1999 BMW R1100RT. I absolutely loved it. Everything I wanted in a bike. It was just broken in (21k miles) and purring.

I was rear-ended by a car two days ago. I was stopped at a traffic signal and the car hit me from behind at full speed (25 to 30 MPH). The impact drove me and the bike forward into the stopped SUV in front of me. Parts all over the road. I'm pretty sure the bike is totaled. But the really amazing part? Except for minor abrasions I appear to be perfectly OK! I've been to the hospital, had all the tests and imaging. No broken bones, nothing. Looks like the R1100RT absorbed most of the energy. Plus, I was sitting high enough so the impact of the car behind me (Mustang) was below me at the rear wheel level. Of course, I was wearing a Shoei helmet, which helped, too.

So, here's to excellent design and construction!

This was my first BMW motorcycle. Now I have another reason to love it. Already looking at the new R1250RT. Beautiful bike.
    Praise the Lord! Enjoy your next RT they are amazement on wheels

I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

Glad your , mostly alright .. I have been looking at the RT also..
    Ride Well, Mark
    BMWMOA #215490, BMWRA #44275
    2016 BMW R1200RS,2013 KTM 250 XCFW
    some previous bikes, 2014 Suzuki 1000 V Strom, KTM SMT 990, Suzuki DR650, Triumph ST1050

Glad to hear you're OK

Sorry to hear about your bike's destruction but glad to hear you've got minimal damage to yourself. Bikes are replaceable. Heal up and enjoy shopping for your next ride.
    Richard
    2013 R 1200RT (90th Anniversary)

Quote Originally Posted by discoboy View Post
    As it turns out I have concussion symptoms. Pretty awful. At least I don't have any broken bones I guess.

Even though you were wearing a helmet ? Do you know what your head hit?

Sorry this happened to you ! Hope you heal quickly & completely.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

"it confirms my ATGATT attitude"

Did you read the part about his concussion?
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post

Better concussed than unconscious with a skull fracture or dead.

Protective gear reduces injuries, it cannot eliminate them all.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

As a matter of fact, I did...30 MPH rear end no road rash or broken bones blah blah...possible concussion. Makes me think: I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

Did you have an observation? Would have been the same result with little or no gear? I don't think my {personal, honest} response was out of line- it was how I felt.

As a matter of fact, I did...30 MPH rear end no road rash or broken bones blah blah...possible concussion. Makes me think: I am always grateful when riders share these stories...it confirms my ATGATT attitude and strengthens my resolve to not lapse or skimp; it also reminds me constant vigilance and a "what if..." attitude are essential to riding. And finally, it confirms that in spite of all the above, I am accepting a certain risk every time I ride so I darn well better enjoy every moment on two wheels! Thanks for sharing. I hope everything works out for you .

Did you have an observation? Would have been the same result with little or no gear? I don't think my {personal, honest} response was out of line- it was how I felt.

I did not mean to imply that your response was out of line. It certainly was not. You & everyone are entitled to state your view on anything.

My view on the whole thing is long , and goes against the tide here. So I'll just keep it to myself.

My standard opinion is ....there are so many,many ways to enjoy a motorcycle, no matter the size, the brand or where they are ridden. What ever that is, for whomever they are , I hope they enjoy their's as much as i have enjoyed mine......jmo.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

I did not mean to imply that your response was out of line. It certainly was not. You & everyone are entitled to state your view on anything.

My view on the whole thing is long , and goes against the tide here. So I'll just keep it to myself.

My standard opinion is ....there are so many,many ways to enjoy a motorcycle, no matter the size, the brand or where they are ridden. What ever that is, for whomever they are , I hope they enjoy their's as much as i have enjoyed mine......jmo.
    I have a feeling we share a brand agnostic appreciation of motorcycles I’m a little embarrassed to admit I have gear to “match” each of the three brands I own. (Harley Triumph and BMW) leather fabric denim (patches aerostich etc) etc. full face modular 3/4- I’m also opposed to any regulation thereof (helmet laws). My son thinks he’s bulletproof and gears up accordingly- I don’t interfere (as of that would do any good! Ha) Anyway, I’m oldish (72) and relatively newish to riding (15 years or so) for ME it’s probably a good idea to protect all the parts I can! The OP reminded me that FOR ME that’s probably a good idea.

AND- I’m having a blast!

I have a feeling we share a brand agnostic appreciation of motorcycles Iím a little embarrassed to admit I have gear to ďmatchĒ each of the three brands I own. (Harley Triumph and BMW) leather fabric denim (patches aerostich etc) etc. full face modular 3/4- Iím also opposed to any regulation thereof (helmet laws). My son thinks heís bulletproof and gears up accordingly- I donít interfere (as of that would do any good! Ha) Anyway, Iím oldish (72) and relatively newish to riding (15 years or so) for ME itís probably a good idea to protect all the parts I can! The OP reminded me that FOR ME thatís probably a good idea.

AND- Iím having a blast!

Well.......keep having a blast & ride safe for sure............
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster