• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav VI vs BMW Navigator Street GPS

GTRider
My 2018GS came prepped for the Nav VI and I’m doing a little shopping around on gps options. My go-to gps for the last few years has been a Garmin 590LM, which has served me well but which of course can’t be used with the Nav VI mount. I see that BMW has another gps offering, the Navigator Street GPS, which looks like it is based on the Garmin 390 series and is a lot less expensive. Will the 390 drop into the Nav VI prep mount? Interface with the wonder wheel?

If I go with the Nav VI is there available a cradle for it that can be mounted on a RAM mount so it can be used on older bikes? So far the only thing I’ve found is a car mount and I’m not sure that can be adapted to a RAM mount.

Thanks,
DeVern

I use the BMW Navigator IV on my RT, but I recently bought a Wunderlinq device.
(No connection/affiliation, but happy to promote an impressive product or share as an option)
https://www.blackboxembedded.com/home/wunderlinq

Essentially it's a device that clips into the GPS prep on the bike and allows your smartphone to function as not just the navigation, but also a much more complete digital instrument package, and it's all controlled by the wonder wheel.

I rented a GS this week-end and rode down the PCH with my device and connected my iPhone.
I found it amazing to be able to start a phone call with my Wonderwheel (phone inside my jacket), switch to navigation and have the ability to monitor the bike's functions all from my phone.

Andres

I use the BMW Navigator IV on my RT, but I recently bought a Wunderlinq device.
(No connection/affiliation, but happy to promote an impressive product or share as an option)
https://www.blackboxembedded.com/home/wunderlinq

Essentially it's a device that clips into the GPS prep on the bike and allows your smartphone to function as not just the navigation, but also a much more complete digital instrument package, and it's all controlled by the wonder wheel.

I rented a GS this week-end and rode down the PCH with my device and connected my iPhone.
I found it amazing to be able to start a phone call with my Wonderwheel (phone inside my jacket), switch to navigation and have the ability to monitor the bike's functions all from my phone.

Andres

Thanks, that looks interesting but with TFT display on my bike and phone & headset paired to the TFT I already have most of that functionality. And, I ride in a lot of areas where cell service is spotty or nonexistent so can’t really depend upon a cell phone.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks, that looks interesting but with TFT display on my bike and phone & headset paired to the TFT I already have most of that functionality. And, I ride in a lot of areas where cell service is spotty or nonexistent so can’t really depend upon a cell phone.

Best,
DeVern

Many cell phone apps store their maps on the phone, so that they can provide dependable navigation without the need for any cellular data, or even a SIM card. I'm still using my zumo, but I've spent my last dollar for a dedicated GPS.

Another cheaper option is to buy a used Nav V. They sell in the $300 to $350 range.

BMW sells a 4 button cradle.
Here's a used one. I don't remember what a new one costs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Mount-...008464?hash=item3651d2e050:g:SnYAAOSwTUpdLg1v

Edit: It looks like a new cradle costs $193.
https://www.ascycles.com/Products/ProductID/54067?txtSearch=+77+52+8+551+283

Thanks, Lee. I saw that cradle on the Bob’s BMW site late last night. That’s a turnkey setup for newer BMW bikes and will mount directly to a RAM mount; I’d have to see if I could find the wiring pinouts so I could cut the harness down to power wires only and end up with a portable cradle that could be jumped between my older and newer bikes.

Used Nav5 units are not far in price from the Navigator Street, but the NS will not fit the GPS Prep cradle so that’s a non-starter. I also ran across these on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Nav...Bmw+Navigator&qid=1565016945&s=gateway&sr=8-5

There are several vendors for these on Amazon. Reliability seems to be an issue—might be that these are being 3D printed instead of injection-molded. I do like the fact that they don’t require a separate X-holder to see the phone display, tho. At that price point I may experiment with one to see how the phone does in the back country.

Best,
DeVern

There's no mention whatsoever on BMW's website about this being compatible with the GPS Prep mount, and it comes with a mount, so I'd guess there's no way you're going to drop this into the mount on your GS, which is intended for a Nav V/Nav VI.

There's no mention whatsoever on BMW's website about this being compatible with the GPS Prep mount, and it comes with a mount, so I'd guess there's no way you're going to drop this into the mount on your GS, which is intended for a Nav V/Nav VI.

The 4 button cradle in my links would be used on his other bikes that do not already have a GPS Prep mount.

The Nav V VI will fit on the Garmin zumo 660 - 665 cradle. The cradle has been discontinued by Garmin but you can find used ones on ebay.

The answer to the cradle question..is no..the street will not fit in the Nav VI cradle. The street will not interface with the wonder wheel.

I believe the Nav VI shout fit right into the 590 or 595 cradle and power in just fine. With the Garmin mount, you should be abound tonout it in any other bike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back