• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AccuMate Resurrection

VIEJO

I have a twelve year old AccuMate battery tender that will no longer go into the "float" mode after the battery reaches full charge.... appears to be normal in all other respects. I have already replaced the unit with a BMW charger/tender from Max BMW but I am curious if my AccuMate is repairable (at a reasonable? cost).... hate to give up on a faithful shop warrior too soon.

Thanks,

Viejo

I have a twelve year old AccuMate battery tender that will no longer go into the "float" mode after the battery reaches full charge.... appears to be normal in all other respects. I have already replaced the unit with a BMW charger/tender from Max BMW but I am curious if my AccuMate is repairable (at a reasonable? cost).... hate to give up on a faithful shop warrior too soon.

Thanks,

Viejo

At $31 and free shipping. https://www.amazon.com/AccuMate-TM-08-ChargeMatic-Battery-charger-maintainer/dp/B0001V0A94

I think the return shipping cost of the old unit would be similar to the cost of the new one. However, I have been faithfully served by one of these units for several decades.

At $31 and free shipping. https://www.amazon.com/AccuMate-TM-08-ChargeMatic-Battery-charger-maintainer/dp/B0001V0A94

I think the return shipping cost of the old unit would be similar to the cost of the new one. However, I have been faithfully served by one of these units for several decades.

I made a (evidently too) quick check of Amazon before I ordered the BMW charger/tender from Max BMW(at ~90 bucks..... although I do like the free M&M's) but didn't see the one you linked.... that price is good enough I may consider ordering for a back-up/reserve.

Mil Gracias,

Viejo

I made a (evidently too) quick check of Amazon before I ordered the BMW charger/tender from Max BMW(at ~90 bucks..... although I do like the free M&M's) but didn't see the one you linked.... that price is good enough I may consider ordering for a back-up/reserve.

Mil Gracias,

Viejo

It was my pleasure.

BTW - how did you determine that the "float" mode wasn't working? I have an old Battery Tender that started to blink erratically, which made me suspicious of it's health.

It was my pleasure.

BTW - how did you determine that the "float" mode wasn't working? I have an old Battery Tender that started to blink erratically, which made me suspicious of it's health.

I have 2 battery tender junior’s I decided one wasn’t going into float mode because whatever battery I put it on the steady read light would stay on, the other charger red light would stay on until battery was charged than the green light which I assume is float mode
I was keeping 4 motorcycle batteries and a lawn mower battery charged moving chargers from one battery to another no set schedule but tried to move them around every few weeks to another battery and I noticed the one battery tender never went to green.

It was my pleasure.

The AGM battery in my K1200RS is about 14 months old and has always been on the AccuMate when not being ridden and the AccuMate was only plugged in when in use. The Accumate had always gone from "charge" to "float" within about three minutes after I returned from riding and in the process never gotten more than slightly warm to the touch. After a ride of about 150 miles last week I connected the AccuMate, confirmed that it was charging, and then stayed in the shop to move crap from one pile to another for a bit..... which turned into about two hours. At one point I noticed that the AccuMate was still at full charge and was warmer than normal to the touch. I metered the battery and found- ~13.9v with the AccuMate connected, ~13.6v disconnected. I then moved the AccuMate to my garden tractor which also had a fairly new battery with the same (metered) results. When I received the new BMW charger/tender from Max BMW I connected it to both the bike and the tractor with positive results.... went to "float" in about three minutes.

It's difficult to meter the output of an AccuMate as it does not release charging voltage unless it senses ~2-3v at the receiving end so you're pretty much confined to metering the voltage at the battery with the AccuMate connected and then disconnected. I'm sure there's a better way to do this test but I don't know what it is..... electrics are not my strong suit. The indicator lights continue to function normally and the only maintenance I have ever done to the unit is to take an icepick and open up the prongs on the male terminals of the auxiliary power port plug charging cable connector and then pack both ends of the charging cable connector with dielectric grease. I did this after I noticed that the AccuMate indicator lights would blink out occasionally when/if I wiggled the connector between the auxiliary power port plug cable and the main charger output cable. This was done about two months ago and I doubt if it precipitated the problem, but I suppose it is possible although the AccuMate performed as expected from the time of the maintenance until last week.

I am not sure what the output amperage of the AccuMate was when I metered the voltage which probably would have been a good indicator of whether or not the unit was easing off on the charging rate as the battery neared full charge or was continuing to deliver full output (which would have eventually fried the battery and God only knows what else downstream).

Viejo

The AGM battery in my K1200RS is about 14 months old and has always been on the AccuMate when not being ridden and the AccuMate was only plugged in when in use. The Accumate had always gone from "charge" to "float" within about three minutes after I returned from riding and in the process never gotten more than slightly warm to the touch. After a ride of about 150 miles last week I connected the AccuMate, confirmed that it was charging, and then stayed in the shop to move crap from one pile to another for a bit..... which turned into about two hours. At one point I noticed that the AccuMate was still at full charge and was warmer than normal to the touch. I metered the battery and found- ~13.9v with the AccuMate connected, ~13.6v disconnected. I then moved the AccuMate to my garden tractor which also had a fairly new battery with the same (metered) results. When I received the new BMW charger/tender from Max BMW I connected it to both the bike and the tractor with positive results.... went to "float" in about three minutes.

It's difficult to meter the output of an AccuMate as it does not release charging voltage unless it senses ~2-3v at the receiving end so you're pretty much confined to metering the voltage at the battery with the AccuMate connected and then disconnected. I'm sure there's a better way to do this test but I don't know what it is..... electrics are not my strong suit. The indicator lights continue to function normally and the only maintenance I have ever done to the unit is to take an icepick and open up the prongs on the male terminals of the auxiliary power port plug charging cable connector and then pack both ends of the charging cable connector with dielectric grease. I did this after I noticed that the AccuMate indicator lights would blink out occasionally when/if I wiggled the connector between the auxiliary power port plug cable and the main charger output cable. This was done about two months ago and I doubt if it precipitated the problem, but I suppose it is possible although the AccuMate performed as expected from the time of the maintenance until last week.

I am not sure what the output amperage of the AccuMate was when I metered the voltage which probably would have been a good indicator of whether or not the unit was easing off on the charging rate as the battery neared full charge or was continuing to deliver full output (which would have eventually fried the battery and God only knows what else downstream).

Viejo

Thanks for the feedback.

Back