Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Starter or Battery Redux

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Is there a max current specified for recharging Roger? Just wondering if current limiting should be applied when doing constant voltage charging. Your posts have me thinking about a winter maintenance project for my Odyssey batteries.
    None mentioned in the Odyssey technical info. I think the bike’s alternator could source 40-50 amps. My experience is that the better conditioned the battery is, the greater the current they absorb initially. On my bike within about an hour the charging current was under 10 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Roger, after all this, what battery maintainer would work the best for the PC680 if an owner wanted to just hook up a battery for the off-season and “catch it in the spring”?
    OM
    This also from Odyssey:

”For seasonal applications (non-daily use applications that set for more than 3 days in a row frequently) regular use of an approved maintainer that meets the charge voltage requirements noted in the previous paragraph is highly recommended during the season and/or a disconnect switch.The preferred storage method is to fully charge the battery before storing and disconnect the battery from the application (shelf storage mode). Stored in or out of the application with no loads, the battery would not require charging for up to 2 years at 77°F or until it reaches 12.0V, whichever comes first.”
    Last edited by roger 04 rt; 08-11-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Good, detailed information Roger
    “Tags” for the “Tag Cloud” have been added for easy searching.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    You guys and your Oddity (oops, Odyssey) batteries. :-)

I've run cheap and unsophisticated AGM batteries for the last 10 years, have never had an issue, and the one I put in 9 years ago is still going strong. Somehow, I feel diminished in the presence of all this high-end info - but my wallet is thicker!

Just kidding about feeling diminished. Lots of good information for those who can use it, guys.
    No volts for you - 1 year.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    No volts for you - 1 year.
    Haha...! The Battery Nazi !

Last week, I started to see the same behavior that I reported at the start of the thread: ABS errors and dips in the starting voltage. The battery seems fine, as it did at the beginning, and the bike cranked well too. I considered trying reconditioning one more time but ran out of energy for the project. I bought and installed a new PC680, which will be a good match with the Vreg mod to 14.6V and my AGM charger.

After I installed the new battery, I called Odyssey to ask how to identify the manufacturing date. It's the 4 digit code in the white box, on top of the battery. The code is 1111 which means November 2011. I had thought I was working on a 4-5 year old battery that turned out to be nearly 8 years old. For the first 6 years it was charged at a low voltage, so I'd say 8 years is pretty good lifetime.

E7E43E28-5956-42EE-96FA-99320D3D988F.jpg

Here is the plot of starting with the new battery. Note that it dips to about 10.6V for a few hundred milliseconds and then cranks at 11V--much better than the reconditioned results from earlier in the thread. I've added this graph so that others have it as a reference point. Early in the thread you can see my sulfated battery, middle of the thread an 8 year-old reconditioned battery and below, a new PC680.

Bottom line: the problems were the battery, the starter is fine

E568B2DA-D199-4399-A359-731082501F74.jpeg

Manners

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Routinely, I get called worse and I have never apologized for it. That make me bad man being Canadian and all.

Spreadsheets are just a way to collect and organize data for dissemination. I hate them. I call them the "devil's method of keeping me from doing my job." I have a lot of spreadsheets.

Last time I checked, a scan tool and a spreadsheet don't have jumper cables to get you home.

Demonstrating how smart you think you are, generally, po's those that know you aren't.

If you are allowed to come to Canada and your car won't start at -40C, you gonna create a spreadsheet and hook up a scan tool or you gonna go KISS?
    Many of us wouldn't have the "common sense" to diagnose our computer equipped Oilhead's without Roger's contributions here and BMWRT.com in the past. I've sent him many data logs over the years and he's been nothing short of a God in terms of his free time and advice.

Get some manners sir. You're giving BMW riders a bad name.
    RPGR90s

Starter or Battery Redux

Hello Roger,

I currently have a pair of 01 R1150GS's. what is the Vreg mod to be done to aid in maintaining the PC680? I use a noco genius 7.2 amp to maintain at home and it seems to be doing well.
    recently have had to reset plunger failed a couple of times on one bike with a less than 1 year old PC680.

Thanks, Rick

VR upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mckgtrgs View Post
    Hello Roger,

I currently have a pair of 01 R1150GS's. what is the Vreg mod to be done to aid in maintaining the PC680? I use a noco genius 7.2 amp to maintain at home and it seems to be doing well.
    recently have had to reset plunger failed a couple of times on one bike with a less than 1 year old PC680.

Thanks, Rick
    This is the one I installed a few months ago.
    https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BO...alt-reg365.htm

RPGR90s

Two months later...................and it's the battery.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

FYI I just saw an Odyssey battery charger on the Market place.

Quote Originally Posted by mckgtrgs View Post
    Hello Roger,

Thanks, Rick
    Here’s how I’ve done it on two different R1150s: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...=1#post1132701

The replacement part RPG mentioned is a good one.