Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacement of low beam bulb on a 2016 BMW RT

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Unless the rumor has merit

I actually removed the initial oem H7 which was still good at ~14K miles because I was leaving on a trip and wanted to know how to change it in the comfort of my garage having heard the tales of woe. I happened to have a new PIAA high output H7 so installed it and it only lasted 4K miles. So at 18K miles when it failed I installed that BMW H7 long life bulb and it's still going now at almost 40K miles. It's one of those rumors that is vaguely plausible if highly unlikely and frankly we can't even say for certain that all RTW's, depending on where various components involved were source from, might not behave differently so the rumor could apply for some and not others. In general though I agree I'm most likely....just lucky I do know one thing--it's a very minor issue one way or another once you learn how to change it as needed which is why I say why bother w/ an LED conversion just not worth cost nor hassle. And that the system employs an automatic backup using the 2nd high beam is a very thoughtful feature. Destroyed u-joints, stators and soft cam lobes are quite another matter though!
    Your initial statement of "I've had exactly one H7 burn out now in 3.5y and 39,555 miles." sounded as if you had had the same bulb in the bike for all of that time. Since you've changed them out along the way, who knows how long the original would have lasted. 22K is pretty good on the second oem bulb, but I still think you've gotten lucky. Whether the full cycle rumor is true or not is pretty hard to tell.

I don't let my bike's electronics "fully boot" because of the light bulb rumor, I do it because I'm in the software business and figure that there's a reason for the self check and other things going on during that time, and it just makes sense to let that process complete before attempting to use the computer(s) embedded in your bike... its the equivalent of the old "Ready" prompt.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    Your initial statement of "I've had exactly one H7 burn out now in 3.5y and 39,555 miles." sounded as if you had had the same bulb in the bike for all of that time. Since you've changed them out along the way, who knows how long the original would have lasted. 22K is pretty good on the second oem bulb, but I still think you've gotten lucky. Whether the full cycle rumor is true or not is pretty hard to tell.

I don't let my bike's electronics "fully boot" because of the light bulb rumor, I do it because I'm in the software business and figure that there's a reason for the self check and other things going on during that time, and it just makes sense to let that process complete before attempting to use the computer(s) embedded in your bike... its the equivalent of the old "Ready" prompt.
    Iíve had one ( low beam) OEM bulb go in 58,000 km on my R1200RS - but fortunately itís a doddle to replace on the RS.

The road goes ever on and on

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post

Who knows if there's anything to it all I know is neither of the two OEM bulbs burned out and yet you hear stories of people needing to change them out many times. I would also have tended to let the electronics fully boot up anyway for similar reasons that you cite.

My 17 low beam just went while on a road trip.
    Bought a replacement, down on on knee, cover off, pull and pry and canít get the wire connector off the bulb, could pull bulb 1/2Ē out of housing but no success. Even wedged a tool between connector and bulb.
    Any ideas out there?

Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    My 17 low beam just went while on a road trip.
    Bought a replacement, down on on knee, cover off, pull and pry and can’t get the wire connector off the bulb, could pull bulb 1/2” out of housing but no success. Even wedged a tool between connector and bulb.
    Any ideas out there?
    I remember I was able to somehow get a a finger or two from each hand on it from the front of the bike, down on knee, and by rocking it to and fro it finally released. Try the rocking motion. As you know sometimes it doesn't seem like you're getting anywhere until by being persistent finally it moves.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of bulbs??

https://smile.amazon.com/Gohyo-Headl...ateway&sr=8-14

These work great in my Camhead.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition