Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement of low beam bulb on a 2016 BMW RT

Replacement of low beam bulb on a 2016 BMW RT

My left low beam is burnt out at 13,000 miles and less than 3 years of use.

There does not seem to be a good tutorial on this. Is it easier to replace the bulb if you remove the speaker?
    "The universe is made of stories. Not of atoms."
    MOA 7935

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Seems to come up regular. At the bottom of the page you will see some threads that will probably help.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I thought the left and right bulbs on the 2014 and up RT's was high beam. The low beam is the center. Am I wrong?
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    I thought the left and right bulbs on the 2014 and up RT's was high beam. The low beam is the center. Am I wrong?
    You are correct. (On a wet head) When a single high beam is on, it is because your low beam (center) bulb is what is blown. The bike switches to a single high beam so you can still see and so others can still see you.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

When looking at the bike from the front, the right bulb is the one that is out. It would seem that it is the one that is on when the engine is running so I assumed it was part of the low beam. Also looking from the front, the left bulb is on when the engine is running. Also I get the little exclamation point and bulb icon on the dash.
    MOA 7935

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Seems to come up regular. At the bottom of the page you will see some threads that will probably help.
    OM
    I looked at one of the videos but that bike seems very different from mine. I can't see the back of the bulb - not even close. Even reaching in from the front, I can't get a grip on the back of the bulb holder.
    MOA 7935

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    You are correct. (On a wet head) When a single high beam is on, it is because your low beam (center) bulb is what is blown. The bike switches to a single high beam so you can still see and so others can still see you.
    I see what you mean. When I switch on the ignition, the left bulb is lit, right bulb is out. Center is out. When I hit the high beam, both left and right come on. I assumed the right bulb was out because it didn't light up. Very important information!

Should I disconnect the battery before removing the horn? One of the threads recommended removing the horn for better access.
    MOA 7935

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    This was on page 3 in this forum. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...lace-Main-Bulb
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I didn't find it necessary to remove the horn at all when I did my 2018 RT. I have a Denali Sound Bomb which I believe is even bigger than stock and it wasn't in the way at all. I changed mine by sitting on a stool in front of the bike and reaching up from the bottom. Took about 5 minutes.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    I didn't find it necessary to remove the horn at all when I did my 2018 RT. I have a Denali Sound Bomb which I believe is even bigger than stock and it wasn't in the way at all. I changed mine by sitting on a stool in front of the bike and reaching up from the bottom. Took about 5 minutes.
    Definitely the best way to change the bulb. You might want to look in to changing the filament based bulb to LED or HID. After many bulbs in 3 years I went LED and haven't had to change it since. Check out either Cyclops or ADV Monster for great LED bulbs.
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 Suzuki XN85 D Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by dlowry View Post
    After many bulbs in 3 years I went LED and haven't had to change it since.
    I've had exactly one H7 burn out now in 3.5y and 39,555 miles. I religiously follow the internet rumor that letting the electronics FULLY boot up before hitting the start button helps reduce low beam burn out, and so far compared to similar stories like yours (many bulbs, and many similar stories) it seems to be holding up. Replacing the low beam is a simple matter once you understand how to do it which is mostly a case of understanding how to remove and replace the retention clips in their holds.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I've had exactly one H7 burn out now in 3.5y and 39,555 miles. I religiously follow the internet rumor that letting the electronics FULLY boot up before hitting the start button helps reduce low beam burn out, and so far compared to similar stories like yours (many bulbs, and many similar stories) it seems to be holding up. Replacing the low beam is a simple matter once you understand how to do it which is mostly a case of understanding how to remove and replace the retention clips in their holds.
    You've been lucky Noel. I always let my electronics fully cycle and I lost my first H7 at 12K miles. It just so happens to have occurred as I was starting up the bike to ride it to the dealer for the 12K service, so I had them change the bulb while it was there.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I religiously follow the internet rumor that letting the electronics FULLY boot up before hitting the start button helps reduce low beam burn out
    Pardon, can someone explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post
    Pardon, can someone explain this?
    Someone, in a previous discussion, suggested that not waiting for the bike's boot sequence to end, would cause a surge and weaken the low beam headlight causing premature failure.
    Whether this is true or not, as there is only some anecdotal evidence, some have had good results following that religiously, doing it seems to help. In other words, there is no scientific proof that it works but for some it seems it does.
    As it doesn't cost anything, just a few seconds of your time, why not do it.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    You've been lucky Noel. I always let my electronics fully cycle and I lost my first H7 at 12K miles. It just so happens to have occurred as I was starting up the bike to ride it to the dealer for the 12K service, so I had them change the bulb while it was there.
    Unless the rumor has merit

I actually removed the initial oem H7 which was still good at ~14K miles because I was leaving on a trip and wanted to know how to change it in the comfort of my garage having heard the tales of woe. I happened to have a new PIAA high output H7 so installed it and it only lasted 4K miles. So at 18K miles when it failed I installed that BMW H7 long life bulb and it's still going now at almost 40K miles. It's one of those rumors that is vaguely plausible if highly unlikely and frankly we can't even say for certain that all RTW's, depending on where various components involved were source from, might not behave differently so the rumor could apply for some and not others. In general though I agree I'm most likely....just lucky I do know one thing--it's a very minor issue one way or another once you learn how to change it as needed which is why I say why bother w/ an LED conversion just not worth cost nor hassle. And that the system employs an automatic backup using the 2nd high beam is a very thoughtful feature. Destroyed u-joints, stators and soft cam lobes are quite another matter though!
    Last edited by ncpbmw1953; 08-05-2019 at 10:42 PM.