Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 76 R90/6 - missing stud bolt & tappet cover cap nut....

John D'oh

When drilling out the stud hole prior to re-threading for the insert -

Use a new drill bit and establish a limit on how deep to drill by wrapping the bit with tape. You don’t want to drill through into the combustion chamber.
    John D'oh

Actually there is a clearence area under the area of the stud. You drill the hole with a feel of very little resistance, the when you feel the bottom of the hole you stop. I have a head in hand. This head has a perfect stud, it does not need to be fixxed. Looking at the head from the side I see the bottom of the stud. That means there is an open area from where the stud is and the area of the combustion chamber, maybe a 1/2". So if your worried about drilling thru to the combustion chamber, you need to get some professional help.

John D'oh
    Barryg - as you said, “very little resistance“. Tape the bit.
    John D'oh

the OEM parts came last week and although i took a week to go down to the smokies / nashville for some hiking, beer, and music i had a chance to see if the bolt threaded into the head. it threaded in fine. i'll be reinstalling with loctite red later this week.

Once upon a time, the late lamented Oak noted that for some period of time BMW fitted too-short valve cover center mount studs. This was likely /7 or later.

BTW, there are no “tappets” under those covers. They are of course at the other end of those pushrods.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Once upon a time, the late lamented Oak noted that for some period of time BMW fitted too-short valve cover center mount studs. This was likely /7 or later.

BTW, there are no “tappets” under those covers. They are of course at the other end of those pushrods.
    so if i'm /6 i should be okay? i threaded the bolt in and out completely to make sure it went completely in, and still had enough threads exposed to install the wavy washer & bling cap nut nice and snug but not too tight.