• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

canisterectomy How?

Do not overcomplicate this.

1. Reroute the tank vent line to beside the overfill drain line by the right foot peg.
2. Remove the lines to each stub-pipe on the bottom of the throttle bodies.
3. Install quality caps on the stub-pipes on the bottom of each throttle body. (The BMW ones used on K75 and K100 throttle bodies last 5 years. The plastic ones from auto stores last maybe one year)

4. Take the canister and hoses attached to it off and carefully put it on a shelf or in the trash - your choice.

5. There is a little valve on the left side of the bike under the seat. I removed all the hoses and left it hooked up to the wires. With no hoses it doesn't do anything whether it is open or closed.

Do not overcomplicate this.

1. Reroute the tank vent line to beside the overfill drain line by the right foot peg.
2. Remove the lines to each stub-pipe on the bottom of the throttle bodies.
3. Install quality caps on the stub-pipes on the bottom of each throttle body. (The BMW ones used on K75 and K100 throttle bodies last 5 years. The plastic ones from auto stores last maybe one year)

4. Take the canister and hoses attached to it off and carefully put it on a shelf or in the trash - your choice.

5. There is a little valve on the left side of the bike under the seat. I removed all the hoses and left it hooked up to the wires. With no hoses it doesn't do anything whether it is open or closed.

Thanks I like tings kept simple

FYI:

On my 1100, did the same, and found that if the bike falls over, you will get fuel leakage. Be prepared for that, as the fuel no longer has a place to go, but out the breather hoses.

If you don’t drop your bike like i tend to do, no issue. But if you aspire to my level of mediocrity, then be forewarned:banghead

FYI:

On my 1100, did the same, and found that if the bike falls over, you will get fuel leakage. Be prepared for that, as the fuel no longer has a place to go, but out the breather hoses.

If you don’t drop your bike like i tend to do, no issue. But if you aspire to my level of mediocrity, then be forewarned:banghead

The counter to this is that if you dump your bike with the can of charcoal in place the fuel can then saturate the charcoal, clogging vent lines and even contaminating the throttle bodies themselves. The thus ingested carbon gunk can disable the engine. Pluses and minuses always lead to tradeoffs.

Last edited:
Cannister gone!

Picked up an ‘02 R1150R with good documentation, newest bike I’ve owned. Having heard nothing good about the cannister and seeing it was beginning to rust anyways, I decided it had to go. After watching Chris Harris do it on YouTube, I had no problems doing this! I was very surprised at what came out of the output tube, before it made it to the vacuum pump - convinced me that this was the right call!47DA4529-D0C1-440E-8677-91FD37BD5B61.jpeg

Picked up an ‘02 R1150R with good documentation, newest bike I’ve owned. Having heard nothing good about the cannister and seeing it was beginning to rust anyways, I decided it had to go. After watching Chris Harris do it on YouTube, I had no problems doing this! I was very surprised at what came out of the output tube, before it made it to the vacuum pump - convinced me that this was the right call!View attachment 76532

Great!
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Glad I am not the only klutz here.
I dropped it twice once.
On the crown of a road trying to find the rally.
Put my foot down and the crown was so steep down I went.
Didn't know that was why, it was very dark.
Picked up with help and dropped it again, then I realized what was happening.
:banghead

Canisterectomy question

I've had two 1150RT's, both with their charcoal canisters removed. With both bikes, the garage often smells of gasoline. Is that typical after a canisterectomy or should I try harder to find a gasoline leak. I've looked and felt everywhere and haven't found a leak.

Al

Back