• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 F650 Funduro

mrmayhem

So I'm going to take a look at this cycle on Friday because I would like a ride that does better on gravel and dirt roads better than my R1100RT. I OK with having a project bike but don't want to have to invest a small fortune to get it up to speed. He's asking $1500 for the bike and it's got 45K on it.

The ad states;

"2000 BMW F650. Runs rough and don’t have time to work on it, just bought a new bike. Hard side panniers, heated grips, Remus exhaust, bark busters, only 1k miles on new tires."

After corresponding with the owner about what the symptoms are he says "I have not had it looked at, not sure what’s going on. Starts fine when cold but is harder when it’s warm. And have to keep a bit of throttle to keep it running."

Has anyone had similar problems with there F650 and what did you do to solve the problem?:scratch

Sounds like a decent price (for what I've been seeing around here) as it has a lot of nice accessories (bags, heated grips, bark busters, etc.).

However - you are getting a bike with that has that dreaded four letter word... "CARB"

A good carb cleaning and a general tune up is where I'd start. If you're not into doing that type of work, a 2001+ F650GS with fuel injection isn't that much more money.

There were after-market carb parts that were supposed to "enhance" the motor's performance. The 2000 Funduro I have used to have some of those, but the owner before me changed everything back to original parts.

I'm really fortunate that mine runs well, but I like drneo66's suggestion to get one with fuel injection :^)

Go for it. Clean the carbs. It will be a great bike. We did two to Alaska and back and had a ball.

The newer fuel injected bikes get better fuel mileage but the Funduro bikes remain among my favorites.

Back