Thread: Glare from handlebars on instrument panel

Glare from handlebars on instrument panel

Has anyone found that it is hard to read the instrument panel due to glare bouncing off the handlebars onto the instrument panel on their 1200RT? The glare makes it really hard to read the readouts, such as trip, temp, gas gauge, etc. I have attempted a fix via electrical tape on the front of the bars, but thought there might be a more elegant fix?

I've not experienced that problem, but have you tried adjusting the screen? You can change the tilt/angle of it on Wethead RT's.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    I've had the same issue in the past from time-to-time. Depends on where the sun is coming from.

I've not done anything about it but figured that something matte (least reflective) would be best, possibly even a matte faux carbon-fibre tape. IIRC, it was as much or more from the inner-sides of the handlebars as it was from the fronts, but could be wrong on that.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I have had that same problem also. Iím working on making a pattern of the front of the bars. I have some matte black 3M that Iíll use to cover the front of the bars with. If it works I let you know.
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

I have not noticed it on my '18 RT, but we are headed out for a run any minute and I suppose it will bug the heck out of me now!

I will post back my findings. One other thing, I wear polarized riding glasses all the time. Perhaps the polarization is cutting the glare.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I used newspaper and tape to surround culprit reflective areas, then used black Plasti-Dip to address the
    problem. Took about four coats to get a nice non reflective finish. And it you wish to change, just peel it off.
    Last edited by Motodan; 08-04-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    F850GS

MOA #46783

Depending on the year of your RT, some have installed the gauge pod from a late model GT to help reduce the glare....
    GT dash.jpg
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana
    Moderator of www.Chromeheads.org

Well, still riding, stopped for lunch. I noticed the reflection but it doesn't bother me.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by thumpower View Post
    Has anyone found that it is hard to read the instrument panel due to glare bouncing off the handlebars onto the instrument panel on their 1200RT? The glare makes it really hard to read the readouts, such as trip, temp, gas gauge, etc. I have attempted a fix via electrical tape on the front of the bars, but thought there might be a more elegant fix?
    I have. I only notice it occasionally but find it quite annoying when it happens.

Thanks for posting this; it's been the reminder I needed to put some tape on my bike.

Ride long and prosper!
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    You can change the tilt/angle of it on Wethead RT's.
    This little nugget was certainly worth the price of admission. 6 months and 2800 miles and I had no idea until right now. Thanks!
    MOA#: 218327
    2019 R1250RT, Mars Red
    Retired: 2002 Kawasaki VN750; 1989 Kawasaki KLR650, 1980 Yamaha DT175

Quote Originally Posted by grumpysquatch View Post
    This little nugget was certainly worth the price of admission. 6 months and 2800 miles and I had no idea until right now. Thanks!
    You're welcome!
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Glare solution

As was mentioned previously in this thread, I too used the Plasti-Dip solution which has held up for me quite well. It also has a factory looking finish which was surprising to me as I had never used this or done any paint work before. Really cool stuff for areas without friction as this stuff will rub or peel off with any friction. Here is a link I posted a while back with pictures, if I did this correctly.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...=1#post1094143

On a multi day cross country trip

I noticed the glare issue just last week on a long trip, and Iíve had this 2016 bike since new. I found dealing with this annoying because, in my latest experience, the information on the bottom right corner of the dash is in the brightest part of the reflected handlebar - right where customized information (tyre pressure, etc.) appears, and where the fuel range is automatically displayed. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but could be better.