• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Glare from handlebars on instrument panel

thumpower

Has anyone found that it is hard to read the instrument panel due to glare bouncing off the handlebars onto the instrument panel on their 1200RT? The glare makes it really hard to read the readouts, such as trip, temp, gas gauge, etc. I have attempted a fix via electrical tape on the front of the bars, but thought there might be a more elegant fix?

I've not experienced that problem, but have you tried adjusting the screen? You can change the tilt/angle of it on Wethead RT's.

I've had the same issue in the past from time-to-time. Depends on where the sun is coming from.

I've not done anything about it but figured that something matte (least reflective) would be best, possibly even a matte faux carbon-fibre tape. IIRC, it was as much or more from the inner-sides of the handlebars as it was from the fronts, but could be wrong on that.

I have had that same problem also. I’m working on making a pattern of the front of the bars. I have some matte black 3M that I’ll use to cover the front of the bars with. If it works I let you know.

I have not noticed it on my '18 RT, but we are headed out for a run any minute and I suppose it will bug the heck out of me now!:banghead

I will post back my findings. One other thing, I wear polarized riding glasses all the time. Perhaps the polarization is cutting the glare.

I used newspaper and tape to surround culprit reflective areas, then used black Plasti-Dip to address the
problem. Took about four coats to get a nice non reflective finish. And it you wish to change, just peel it off.

Last edited:
Depending on the year of your RT, some have installed the gauge pod from a late model GT to help reduce the glare....
GT dash.jpg

Has anyone found that it is hard to read the instrument panel due to glare bouncing off the handlebars onto the instrument panel on their 1200RT? The glare makes it really hard to read the readouts, such as trip, temp, gas gauge, etc. I have attempted a fix via electrical tape on the front of the bars, but thought there might be a more elegant fix?

I have. I only notice it occasionally but find it quite annoying when it happens.

Thanks for posting this; it's been the reminder I needed to put some tape on my bike.

Ride long and prosper!

Glare solution

As was mentioned previously in this thread, I too used the Plasti-Dip solution which has held up for me quite well. It also has a factory looking finish which was surprising to me as I had never used this or done any paint work before. Really cool stuff for areas without friction as this stuff will rub or peel off with any friction. Here is a link I posted a while back with pictures, if I did this correctly.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...-dash-of-RTW&p=1094143&viewfull=1#post1094143

On a multi day cross country trip

I noticed the glare issue just last week on a long trip, and I’ve had this 2016 bike since new. I found dealing with this annoying because, in my latest experience, the information on the bottom right corner of the dash is in the brightest part of the reflected handlebar - right where customized information (tyre pressure, etc.) appears, and where the fuel range is automatically displayed. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but could be better.

Back