Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wild Fire!!

Wild Fire!!

This was taken from my daughter’s deck this morning. A growing fire north of Helena, MT. It is threatening some residential areas and is zero percent contained.

3-DCDB1-F7-B55-D-4651-A700-9-B70-CAE23145.jpg
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

This is called the North Hills Fire.

That it is. Grew in size by over 60% from Saturday to Sunday.
    Kevin Huddy

Dang! Does it appear that your daughters home is in any danger right now? Wishing the best outcome from Mississippi.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Don't know which way your daughters deck faces, but looks like the wind is blowing from left to right and not towards your daughters house. And that's the good news.

Anyone who has lived in an area than is impacted by a wildfire knows how quickly these things take off and change direction. I sure your daughter has an evac plan already in place and is monitoring the situation very closely. Wishing her and everyone else up there the very best.
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

We had a similar situation here last summer at this time. Our home is the white roof at the lower left:

IMG_0239.JPG

The fire burned onto our property, pretty much to our back door. We were prepared months before by clearing brush, thinning and limbing trees and cleaning gutters. I also installed stand pipes in several places around my yard that connect fire hoses to my irrigation system. We didn't lose so much as a piece of firewood.

P1010002.jpg
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '00 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by 6322 View Post
    We had a similar situation here last summer at this time. Our home is the white roof at the lower left:

IMG_0239.JPG

The fire burned onto our property, pretty much to our back door. We were prepared months before by clearing brush, thinning and limbing trees and cleaning gutters. I also installed stand pipes in several places around my yard that connect fire hoses to my irrigation system. We didn't lose so much as a piece of firewood.

P1010002.jpg
    It helps to know what you are doing. Many folks do not create defensible space. Sometimes, like in Paradise, CA it barely matters.

It does look like a meadow between the camera and the flames in Kevin's photo could help a lot.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

As much as we do, I still chalk it up to divine intervention, as some places with all of the right things done still burn to the ground. Just another summer in the west, living in a fire adapted ecosystem.
    Gary Phillips - #6322

The fire is moving north and east towards the Missouri River, my daughter’s home is 4 miles west of the fire and we are another 3 miles west of her. My son-in-law is a Lieutenant in a local city fire department and a former wild lands fire fighter. He has spent years thinning their heavily wooded land. Our place is mostly grassland with some wetlands; much less threat to us. It does not appear they are in any immediate danger, nor are we worried about this fire. The problem is the next fire, which shall surely come.

Much of the west is a tinder box waiting to ignite. Every effort by a state or federal agency to take steps to manage government forests and mitigate the fire hazard is met with lawsuits filed by various, evidently well funded, groups. They seem to successfully judge shop and draw the suits out for years. Last count there were 26 active suits against forest management projects in Montana alone.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    They seem to successfully judge shop and draw the suits out for years. Last count there were 26 active suits against forest management projects in Montana alone.
    With due respect or not, to the esteemed lawyers on this forum, I have maintained for 20 years that we should re-administer the bar exam, grade on the curve, and only pass the top 50%. Since all on this forum would pass this should help, not harm their practices. I am only half kidding.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

It's interesting that the origins of justice had to do with right and wrong...
    Gary Phillips - #6322

45% contained now.

Several more fires are going. This one is called the Nevada Mountain fire and is about 20-25 miles NW of us. Picture taken from our place. So far no smoke in our area, thankfully.

1-BBAFAC1-ADC3-41-D1-9-B27-7-C9-EA602-EC1-E.jpg
    Kevin Huddy

We're getting nowhere near the smoke that we usually get, summers; quite pleasant really. The extensive rains over the last several months must have kept things nicely dampened. Even here in Calgary, where the climate is quite dry, I haven't run my lawn sprinkler system at all this summer.
    Rinty

Hey Kevin,
    Not sure if you've seen this or not. As a professional, drives me nuts seeing stupid people doing stupid things.
    https://helenair.com/news/state-and-...87d3ec9.html#1
    Gary Phillips - #6322