• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wacky Wonky Speedo

snookers

DBLUPPR
Been through quite a few hwy construction zones on my K1200S and today the speedo needle started dancing all about. I’m wondering if the cable got pinched within the sheathing as I cannot find any cuts. Thoughts anyone?

Dry, dirty, rusty cable. Take the cable apart, clean and lube it. Good chance it will cue the problem.

Is this on your new-to-you side hack?

Off topic but ...How do you like it?

As a matter of fact it is
The hack is amazing, I picked it up and drove it home , over three thousand easy miles,(the bike is actually in Kms), then I recently rode it to Couer d’Alene in Idaho for the USCA Rally. All with no troubles. Hopefully I’ll get it to a dealer soon and get it sorted out

Well I found out the problem with the speedo...…..seems that the sensor pick-up in the rear drive got worn away somewhat when the rear bearing decided to begin to corrupt itself. Funny thing is, I never noticed the movement in the rear drive when driving this bike. It wasn't until the bike's rear end was lifted and the rear wheel grasped on either side that you could plainly see tire/wheel sideplay. Anyways, a BIG thanks to Richfield BMW in Minnesota for the assistance and installing a fresh used rear drive on the hack. Considering the outcome had this rear drive totally disintegrated on the highway someplace, I feel I'm lucky, and now have a new to me bike that's a hoot to drive

Back