• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Couple of things

timburn

First off glad to know I have a Hexhead/Camhead bike. I have been calling it an oilhead. Just added the newest bike to the fleet. I have 4 airheads but wanted something w/less miles for some longer trips. 2011 R1200RT. So far really like it. I had a 2004 R1150Rt couple of years ago. Never got used to Servo brakes. OK, The Phone/elctronic compartment is VERY difficult to latch. I Kroiled it pretty well and don't need to use my knee anymore. Can the latch be adjusted? Next I want to wire in some driving/running lights. Are there any considerations for CAN wiring? I normally use a relay and just find a wire that is activated on circuit I want for the "triggering" wire. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim

If your going to run you own power from the battery, there are lots of triggering options using something like Posi Taps.

The CANBUS system on this bike is more about the communications between the electronic modules (ECU, ZFE - Body Control computer, radio, TPMS, and instrument cluster). All the wiring to any of the lights, or other powered devices, is analog +12V DC supplied by the ZFE computer. The switches provide the command signal for the ECUs which then supply analog DC power to whatever is being triggered. So, when you, say , push the horn button, the switch doesn't close a circuit directly to the horn, it closes a circuit that the ZFE detects and it then switches power on then off, to the corn circuit. In the case of all the switched items (turn signals, horn, brake lights, high beam, etc.), the ZFE acts like an all-purpose relay.

You can tap the power outlets (thought that will turn the lights on as soon as you turn the key and for one minute after you shut down) or the headlight harness for switched power. The low beams are on the yellow wires feeding the headlight housing plug (pins 4 and 5 according to my Haynes manual).

PS - The Haynes manual has a fantastic wiring diagram. Get one. They are invaluable.

Hex makes a Canbus-compatible controller (ezCAN) for your bike that can control driving lights, aux brake lights, an air horn and other accessories and is programmable, but a bit spendy... but does plug directly into your system so you don’t have to cut any factory harnesses:

https://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=HEXezCAN

I had one on my 2013 K1600GTL, and also installed one on my 2009 R1200RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hex makes a Canbus-compatible controller (ezCAN) for your bike that can control driving lights, aux brake lights, an air horn and other accessories

To me this is the way to go (I just installed one of the new GenII EZCans on my bike) but since he asked about directly wiring I didn't mention it.

The EZCan will allow you to:

1. Add switched power for accessories.
  2. Drive an aftermarket horn.
  3. Power two sets auxiliary lights (including changing the brightness on the fly).
  4. Can drive auxiliary brake lights both when the brakes are applied and automatically during deceleration (engine braking).
  5. Can be programmed to flash these lights when you triple-press the high beam (flash to pass) and when the horn is active.
  6. The new Gen II units use the same connector as Denali allowing you to just plug them in without splicing any wires.
Seriously, these things are da bomb (and they're $50 cheaper than the the EXACT SAME UNIT rebranded by Denali).

Back