• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Attaching a Cozy Rocket sidecar to an '01 R1100RL

chiroden

The problem is the bike has an upper frame but no frame underneath. I have been told I need a subframe. I think it would be easier to find a needle in a haystack. I have been all over the internet. The service manager at my cycle shop has talked to several other shops without any luck either. I am ready to send the sidecar back. If anyone has some knowledge as to how this can be accomplished, please let me know.Thank you, Dennis Keenan. Maywood, NJ MOA #148168

Welcome to the forum!
If you don't get any responses to your question that help, I'll move this to the Sidecar and Trikes part of the forum.
Good luck.
Gary

I would imagine that a commercially made subframe doesn't exist, or be extremely rare which you have found out. Time for someone with knowledge to fabricate one. Also all the plastic will be a problem. It may have to be removed to fit a sidecar.

Have you tried,
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com

Welcome to the forum

The Roadster 1100 is close to the GS which has a lot of sidecar users. As mentioned DMC would be a great source to check out. Pretty sure you will need to get bike to them to fabricate the subframe and set up the car.
One suggestion before you hang a sidecar is to service the transmission input shaft splines. I have removed and replaced two different 11GS sidecars and sub frames replacing trans seals and doing a spline lube...it's a PITA once the subframe and car are in place.

Check with Claud Stanley Motors (CSM), or DMC. Your '01 R1100RL isn't that unusual and they've mounted bunches of subframes on similar bikes. Don't give it up yet. Good luck.
http://freedomsidecars.com/

Last edited:
Thank you. Claude has told me that he is just home from the hospital and his shop is swamped with work. He also redirected me to DMC. :)

I would imagine that a commercially made subframe doesn't exist, or be extremely rare which you have found out. Time for someone with knowledge to fabricate one. Also all the plastic will be a problem. It may have to be removed to fit a sidecar.

Have you tried,
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com

" I am in contact with DMC. Thank you. :) "

Back