• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post here if you've had prematurely worn cam lobe(s) in your wethead

cams

just did a check on valves because one had been tighter than i liked i had Grassroots in MO set to mid specs! i was sitting there waiting when tech came out holding cams and i said on know and he said yep! flaking on all lobes some worse than others so he started a PUMA ticket and will let me know if the mother ship steps up to the plate! he seems to think they will because of a known issue with some.... 41000 miles on the clock on a 14 RT. rode it home(200) miles and ran great as usual but i will leave is sit till i hear from them.....

Flaking on the lobes? That's a new one (at least to me). Love to see a photo of what he calls "flaking." Excess cam lobe wear on a wet head looks like someone turned the lobes down on a lathe, no surface flaking, the lobe is ground away. Flaking is when a hardened surface comes off in little thin fragments. Early 4 valve Ducati chrome surfaced rocker arms are famous for flaking off the chrome harding. More recently, Moto Guzzi had serious flaking and wear on the first generation 4 valve (Or 8 valve, if you count both heads like Guzzi does) 1200's. The black DLC (Diamond Like Coating) would wear and flake off, causing premature tappet wear. To their credit, Moto Guzzi re-designed the valve train, going to roller tappets. Although the owners often got stuck with the repair bill!

worn lobes

Sept 2018
2014 R1200GSW
24k mile service
Service manager reported problem. BMW agreed to fix (cams replaced) at no charge. Prior to this service I had noticed a gradual degradation in acceleration. Following the replacement the difference in performance was significant. The bike has around 31k miles now with no noticeable problem.

I have heard a few 1000rr have an issue as well

Might be relevant or not. I saw one S 1000RR motor that destroyed the valves, cylinder, block and the piston was unrecognizable. 3,000 gentle miles on a clean bike and the cam lobes on the destroyed cylinder were ground down pretty bad. Maybe BMW should bring the a few things back in house before they lose all the loyal few.

cams

Just got the call from Grassroots, BMW is going to take care of flaking camshafts in my 14 RT!! Woohoo!! Can't say enough good stuff about grassroots! Wonderful people and great service....

Just got the call from Grassroots, BMW is going to take care of flaking camshafts in my 14 RT!! Woohoo!! Can't say enough good stuff about grassroots! Wonderful people and great service....

Grass Roots is an awesome dealership. Brian Hinton and I stopped in there on our way back from the Iowa rally. A very impressive old school dealership indeed.

Count me in

3,879 miles and all 4 lobes showing wear, left side intake bad enough you can feel the ridge. The service writer at Max BMW told me there is a service bulletin out for this issue and didnt think there would be any question on replacement of course one year remaning on warranty doesn't hurt either. They'll pickup the bike late next week and bring back when done. Now to decide once repaired if I keep it.

3,879 miles and all 4 lobes showing wear, left side intake bad enough you can feel the ridge. The service writer at Max BMW told me there is a service bulletin out for this issue and didnt think there would be any question on replacement of course one year remaning on warranty doesn't hurt either. They'll pickup the bike late next week and bring back when done. Now to decide once repaired if I keep it.

Outsourcing :hungover
This outsourcing of parts to assemble the end product seems to be bringing disappointment no one needs or expects.
Good luck.
OM

Grass Roots is an awesome dealership. Brian Hinton and I stopped in there on our way back from the Iowa rally. A very impressive old school dealership indeed.

Awesome, so there is hope for my '16 should it start shedding layers :clap I will have another look at the 48K service but so far so good, at 44K.

Oh no! When it slows down does it wobble? :dunno

This bike, "Gretchen", never! But then, I already had 100,000 miles on my '05 RT, "Ursula". The foundation supplemented, LEO training that the performance center conducted at the Lebanon Rally last year, was worth every penny. I do "top" like circles now every chance I get to keep the wobbles at bay.

I know you were being funny, but I jumped on the opportunity to plug good training; its how I roll... yo!

24K service on a friend's bike. The dealer had just completed it, but we wanted to make sure it was done right. It wasn't.

Jim :brow

Holy freaking ___! And a dealer just completed the service? No doubt I'd revisit that dealer ASAP and also report him to BMW.

My guess is they never removed the valve covers.

That is my guess. My friend took the bike in for the 24K a bit early because the warranty was about to run out.

He brought it over two weeks later and we took the valve covers off to check the cam timing and have a look. It was obvious this had been wearing for some time, so he took it back. The dealer changed out all 4 cams under warranty, even though it was expired two weeks before.

Jim :brow

Back