Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Post here if you've had prematurely worn cam lobe(s) in your wethead

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    I took a look at the cited notice https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65251-9999.pdf

A further sentence reads...

"Until further notice, continue to install the original rocker arms in all K02 (G210R), K03 (G310GS), K5x (R1200's) and K8x (F850/750GS) motorcycles".

This seems a bit contradictory with the "Always check ... and ALWAYS replace all 8 rocker arms" statement.

The way I read this, corrected replacement parts are in short supply, so new engines will continue to be built with the defectice components. Corrected components will be used to make repairs.

Also, given the engines that are affected, my hunch is that Loncin is the source of defective components. Regardless, these defective components are also in the F750GS and F850GS engines. So it may only be a matter of time before these models also start developping similar issues.
    2013 F700GS

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbender View Post
    Yes, that too is under consideration and I know my local (Blackfoot) would love to get me onto a new 1250....but aside from the extra mula, I have reservations....weight, new technology that needs some proving before I will buy into. Besides, I am trying to make a point here that BMW has the capacity to build a quality bike that shouldn't have major engine components giving out at 60,000 K....(~40,000 Mi), and if they do (as numbers are starting to prove), they should admit it and get behind the fix. That's what upholds a good reputation on a high quality machine. Am I wrong?

G

I would be writing a letter to the dealership asking for the repairs to be made under warranty. When they, and BMW refuse to comply, I would be registering an action with the small claims court of my province. With the NHTSA document in hand, as to why these cams wear prematurely, you may have the smoking gun. I think one can make a sound arguement to the court that a modern vehicle has an expectation to last more the 60000 km. You can also possibly subpoena all of BMW's records of cam replacements for these models proving that BMW is aware and in fact contined to sell a defective product. (though it does appear BMW has already done this in the NHTSA document, though BMW Canada may contest this) I suppose a lawyer would be required to assist with the wording of the subpoena. A subpoena would likley get BMW Canada's attention and perhaps prod them to do the right thing.

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    I took a look at the cited notice https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65251-9999.pdf

A further sentence reads...

"Until further notice, continue to install the original rocker arms in all K02 (G210R), K03 (G310GS), K5x (R1200's) and K8x (F850/750GS) motorcycles".

This seems a bit contradictory with the "Always check ... and ALWAYS replace all 8 rocker arms" statement.

There is no contradiction here at all. BMW continues to sell motorcycles knowing full well that some of them contain defective rocker arms. That fact that they may self destruct destroying themselves and the camshafts, is immaterial to BMW. As far as BMW is concerned, they will replace the defective parts when within the warranty period. But. if your bike is out of warranty, good luck to you! This just makes my blood boil.

Many thanks to the poster who dug up the smoking gun.