Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Post here if you've had prematurely worn cam lobe(s) in your wethead

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    I took a look at the cited notice https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65251-9999.pdf

A further sentence reads...

"Until further notice, continue to install the original rocker arms in all K02 (G210R), K03 (G310GS), K5x (R1200's) and K8x (F850/750GS) motorcycles".

This seems a bit contradictory with the "Always check ... and ALWAYS replace all 8 rocker arms" statement.

The way I read this, corrected replacement parts are in short supply, so new engines will continue to be built with the defectice components. Corrected components will be used to make repairs.

Also, given the engines that are affected, my hunch is that Loncin is the source of defective components. Regardless, these defective components are also in the F750GS and F850GS engines. So it may only be a matter of time before these models also start developping similar issues.

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbender View Post
    Yes, that too is under consideration and I know my local (Blackfoot) would love to get me onto a new 1250....but aside from the extra mula, I have reservations....weight, new technology that needs some proving before I will buy into. Besides, I am trying to make a point here that BMW has the capacity to build a quality bike that shouldn't have major engine components giving out at 60,000 K....(~40,000 Mi), and if they do (as numbers are starting to prove), they should admit it and get behind the fix. That's what upholds a good reputation on a high quality machine. Am I wrong?

G

I would be writing a letter to the dealership asking for the repairs to be made under warranty. When they, and BMW refuse to comply, I would be registering an action with the small claims court of my province. With the NHTSA document in hand, as to why these cams wear prematurely, you may have the smoking gun. I think one can make a sound arguement to the court that a modern vehicle has an expectation to last more the 60000 km. You can also possibly subpoena all of BMW's records of cam replacements for these models proving that BMW is aware and in fact contined to sell a defective product. (though it does appear BMW has already done this in the NHTSA document, though BMW Canada may contest this) I suppose a lawyer would be required to assist with the wording of the subpoena. A subpoena would likley get BMW Canada's attention and perhaps prod them to do the right thing.

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    I took a look at the cited notice https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65251-9999.pdf

"Until further notice, continue to install the original rocker arms in all K02 (G210R), K03 (G310GS), K5x (R1200's) and K8x (F850/750GS) motorcycles".

This seems a bit contradictory with the "Always check ... and ALWAYS replace all 8 rocker arms" statement.

There is no contradiction here at all. BMW continues to sell motorcycles knowing full well that some of them contain defective rocker arms. That fact that they may self destruct destroying themselves and the camshafts, is immaterial to BMW. As far as BMW is concerned, they will replace the defective parts when within the warranty period. But. if your bike is out of warranty, good luck to you! This just makes my blood boil.

Many thanks to the poster who dug up the smoking gun.

Wow, welcome to BMW ownership!

Traded my Ducati Monster 1200S for a 2020 R1250 GS last week. Love the bike, but I started reading this post because the bike has a ticking noise at idle, just like the videos that have been posted. Right now, with 160 miles, it seems to be intermittent depending on the temperature of the engine. Iíll have it checked out at the 600 mile service, but thank goodness for the 3 year warranty.

I have a KTM 790 Duke, which I expected to be like some girls I dated: fun but flaky. However I thought the BMW would be the kind you marry. Iím worried it could be the other way around

Rickdm

Quote Originally Posted by rickdm View Post
    Wow, welcome to BMW ownership!

Traded my Ducati Monster 1200S for a 2020 R1250 GS last week. Love the bike, but I started reading this post because the bike has a ticking noise at idle, just like the videos that have been posted. Right now, with 160 miles, it seems to be intermittent depending on the temperature of the engine. Iíll have it checked out at the 600 mile service, but thank goodness for the 3 year warranty.

I have a KTM 790 Duke, which I expected to be like some girls I dated: fun but flaky. However I thought the BMW would be the kind you marry. Iím worried it could be the other way around

Rickdm
    Enjoy the bike and ride the snot out of it. They all make some noise. Have dealer check at the break in service and ask him to make sure its got the latest firmware. My 2019 1250RT runs great. Makes a little noise but they all do. I bought to dealer for 600 miles service, then once again when I found I had older firmware. Did the 6000 myself and will bring to them for the upcoming 12,000. Will mention to make sure to check cam lobes and cam timing when checking the valves.

Like you said...3-year warranty so ride the hell out of it. Any big issues (if any) should come up during that and your covered. Enjoy your new bike
    Bill Rorke #200394
    Boiling Springs, SC
    2019 R1250 RT
    2009 R1200 GSA

If true then it is sad that BMW would put $ first by use of parts that may need to be replaced in their products. Realize it is a numbers game, still as a buyer you would end up ...stepping right up and rolling the bmw dice. See if you are a winner before the warranty runs out. It would be wrong to install substandard parts in a product if such is true. If enough buyers knew one would think they would say ‘no’ to buying a new bmw motorcycle if a model might use such parts.

Heck, if they were short of updated parts, with COVID, have to wonder if it take longer to get updated parts in the manufacturing pipe line. At any rate, just reading a bit of thread so hoping I understanding is off base. Been owning opposed twins my entire biking life of one model or another it seems.

Seems all industries of manufacturing do this to one degree to another.
    Last edited by motor4; 11-21-2020 at 11:05 AM.

One thing I noticed is that this bulletin seems to explicitly exclude the R1250s. I know someone has posted in this thread that they have seen the issue of a 1250 but I never saw any evidence of it and this post was the only one I've seen saying the R1250s have the same issue. Am am skeptical. Why? In the rocker bulletin, the new improved rocker part number is "11 33 8 389 397". I checked the illustrated parts manual for my bike, R1250RT and found that the 1250s already have the new rocker arms. Actually, this part number is now shown for the R1200s. So I checked my R1250 Repair DVD. The pictures show the new style rockers. If anyone with a 1250 really has this pop-up, please take photos and do some show and tell
    Scott Taranovich
    McKinney, Texas
    2019 R1250RT