• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post here if you've had prematurely worn cam lobe(s) in your wethead

2017 R1200 GS cams

I think of those as "cam followers." And if they are replacing 8 cam followers, then they should also be replacing 4 camshafts.

As an aside, at least one member of this forum posted earlier in this thread that they had cam lobe wear happen a second time after the initial repair.

Cap

Yep, happened 2 times, replaced all 8 followers and 4 cams each time........

Dealer checked my cam lobe wear at last service a few weeks ago and actually put it on the work sheet they were checked and fine at 33K.

I'm looking at a 2017 r1200rt as a second bike this week and think I may have to have the bike checked before I buy it after reading this thread.

2018 R1200GS with 42,900 mi.

Just opened my covers today to perform valve clearance check on 12k service.

Last 12K was performed by dealer in January 2022 at 30,700 mi. 6K was recently performed in early June 2022 by dealer and no mention of loud ticking or noises.

Right side intake cams are toast but exhaust cams and entire set of left side cams look good.

Will be contacting dealer for warranty replacement as the bike is under BMW extended warranty.

Cam_Wear.jpg

I have followed this issue closely over several BMW forums, having experienced cam failures on two '18 RTs. Not having seen a report like this recently, I was beginning to hope that the majority of bad cams and/or followers had made themselves known. Guess we're still not safe. My next check will be a 54K miles. We should not have to experience trepidation every time the valve covers are removed, or. purchase expensive extended warranties.

I have followed this issue closely over several BMW forums, having experienced cam failures on two '18 RTs. Not having seen a report like this recently, I was beginning to hope that the majority of bad cams and/or followers had made themselves known. Guess we're still not safe. My next check will be a 54K miles. We should not have to experience trepidation every time the valve covers are removed, or. purchase expensive extended warranties.

This issue will never be resolved. The 1200 cams will come from stock and that stock is what is bad. Now until all those cams are used up and BMW has to buy more you will always have this issue.

I agree it is less prevalent then it was but even 1250's suffer this unacceptable defect. So the supplier must be the same?

All I know is BMW charges people 14oo a set of cams and followers and you got 4 sets to deal with. So you could go 5600 bucks in debt and pay that out of your pocket. And the ass burner is they PAY the dealer to put them in. Now how the hell is that fair?

I check my valves every 6K due to this issue. I thumb nail them to make sure there is no grooves starting.

One of the first I have seen was on a bike fresh from a 12K dealer service. It had been driven 20 miles or something and the cams were found destroyed. So did the dealer not due the 12K or did the fail that quickly? I know the dealer made that person whole at no cost. But are you whole? Where has all the metal gone? Will it happen again?

I had never read of a person getting hit twice on this as the 18 RT posted above. I would never own a BMW again if it happens to me. I will fix it and sell it. I do not think we should have these multiple failures to contend with. It is bad parts and NO QC.

So have some G310s. There is a service information I have seen implicating the "diamond like coating" on the rocker arms.

If I do this right I hope that the bulletin that I think you are referring to gets uploaded here.

It's shocking the number of models/engines the issue shows up in.

Attachments

• 976.pdf
    437.4 KB · Views: 46
Well, never thought I'd say this about a Rotax engine...But you're right!
I have great faith in Rotax. When I was into snowmobiling knowing that the Rotax motor was always going to start and run when I was in the middle of nowhere at -20C was important. Knowledgable types say that they can see the Rotax aircraft engine quality in the motorcycle engines.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I've owned a dozen or so SnoGos, and rode them from Fairbanks to Whitehorse, YT mostly on the Yukon River. No doubt the SkiDoo with a Rotax engine was the best by far. Rode one in -45 F. temperatures and at high altitudes in the Alaska Range... never let me down.

Dumb question - At what point will BMW consider this a recall and cover the cost for non-warranty bikes?

NEVER.

BMW has NEVER taken care of it's customers with proven bad designs. Just take the early FD for LT. They failed at a rate that most of bought used ones from trikes and had them re shimmed and kept in a box in case of failure. I carried mine to Vermont to have a guy very well versed in FD to have it shimmed correctly.

And the new DS issue not sure how they are doing that? I have seen that if it does not past the test and you have over 36K on the FD shaft they are going to replace it.

That is now, not sure when this gets into the many hundreds what their position will be?

A cam and follower set cost 1400 bucks and you got four to worry over. So 5600 bucks in the worst scenario. And of course BMW pays the dealer to put them in so the customer is the only one bending over.

Dumb question - At what point will BMW consider this a recall and cover the cost for non-warranty bikes?

Just a heads up, BMW NA now offers an extended warranty for new and used bikes. Reading my tea leaves, I can foresee BMW being less forthcoming with the good will for parts and repairs outside of the original 3 year warranty. The good stories we’ve all read on the forums where NA covered the cost outside of warranty period may start to dry up. Just my personal theory. I’ve already seen it happen once with a friend of mine and his S1000RR… and he works for a dealership.

Just pulled covers off my 2016 RT for a valve clearance check, and found bad intake cam on left side, front lobe. Right side looks ok. 22K miles. I talked to my local dealer, and asked if BMW was covering this - he told me I'd have to bring it in so they can see and then try. But if there is no chance in hell, I'll just buy the part and do it myself. Curious what people think - has anyone had luck getting this covered for an out of warranty bike?

I have two weeks before the appointment (I do all my own service & repair normally) and hate to pay the diagnostic fee if there is no chance BMW will cover it.
I can install the damn parts myself and I hate to waste the $ on a service call if it is in vain.

I need to read this thread more thoroughly, but sounds like the cam and cam follower need to be replaced, not just the cam?

I also own a 2017 GSA - I will be checking that one soon, hoping I didn't hit the "jackpot" on this issue :-0

cam2.jpg
cam1.jpg

Back