• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post here if you've had prematurely worn cam lobe(s) in your wethead

My 2018 r1200gsa was Just fixed under warranty for the second time. The first time at 12k miles they replaced the left side cams. This time at 28k miles they replaced both sides. This is pretty frustrating to say the least. The good news is that it was only in the shop 5 days for the repair. My service rep said their is a service bulletin on this issue. Let’s hope it’s been addressed going forward. I highly recommend carefully checking your cam wear at each valve check and possible each oil change. For sure do it before your warranty runs out.

Excellent. Thanks.

#166 was revealing. I have identical noise on 2020 RS with 3150 mi. Began less than 200 mi ago.

Pop the valve covers off and inspect the cams with bright light. Easy peasy. Knowing this seems like a widespread issue I know I'd be in there every couple of thousand miles if I had a wethead. Thankfully this doesn't seem to be an issue with the Camheads. BMW must have switched suppliers or changed the specs (or both).

I am just finishing up the first 12k service on my 1250RT. All the cam lobs on mine looked and felt perfect. Clearances were all on the slightly on the loose side, but well within spec. Mine was one of the first RTs in the US and was built 2018-09-26. Really sad that I've had it for nearly two years and only have 12,471 on it. It would interesting to know what the build dates on the 1250s with the bad cams are.

I am just finishing up the first 12k service on my 1250RT. All the cam lobs on mine looked and felt perfect. Clearances were all on the slightly on the loose side, but well within spec. Mine was one of the first RTs in the US and was built 2018-09-26. Really sad that I've had it for nearly two years and only have 12,471 on it. It would interesting to know what the build dates on the 1250s with the bad cams are.

I think that the tolerances tend to tighten over time (as the valves wear) so being on the loose side of spec is probably good at this point.

A reminder: Cam lobe wear almost never affects the clearance at the back side of the lobe where measured for valve adjustment. There is under almost all conditions no spring pressure at the back side of the lobe. Cam lobe wear needs to be visually identified on the nose of the lobe where spring pressures are greatest.

Obviously a big difference but have you popped the covers off yet (you need to inspect both sides if this is a concern for you)? That's the only way to know if your lobes are worn. It's very easy to do and very hard to screw up.

The most likely way to screw it up is to over tighten the covers when you reinstall them. It really is a simple job.

A reminder: Cam lobe wear almost never affects the clearance at the back side of the lobe where measured for valve adjustment. There is under almost all conditions no spring pressure at the back side of the lobe. Cam lobe wear needs to be visually identified on the nose of the lobe where spring pressures are greatest.

I checked for that on the top of all the lobes. All good for now. This is something I'll probably look at every 6k. Popping the valve covers off the 1250 is super easy. From what I've read on this issue, they have been a number of instances where there was no wear and then all of a sudden, there's huge amount of wear. It's a good idea to watch it closely.

2017 R1200 GS cams

We're hearing more stories about this issue in R bikes so post here if you're needing to replace camshaft(s), include year and miles if you will. Also, a word about how you discovered the issue, be it running behavior or as an incidental finding on a valve clearance check.

Thanks

Happened twice with me on my 2017 1200 GS
Once at about 3200 miles
Again about 6000 miles.

Found issue investigating loud valve noise.

Dealer replaced all 4 cams and followers both times, always had BMW oil in it.

After the second time, traded in for a 2019 1250 GS with has been flawless for 18,000 so far.r1200gs cam at 3200 miles.JPG

Happened twice with me on my 2017 1200 GS
Once at about 3200 miles
Again about 6000 miles.

Found issue investigating loud valve noise.

Dealer replaced all 4 cams and followers both times, always had BMW oil in it.

After the second time, traded in for a 2019 1250 GS with has been flawless for 18,000 so far.View attachment 80669

Wow. so EIGHT cams on one engine over only 6k miles!?! This obviously is a a huge quality escape they are dealing with (whether they acknowledge it publicly or not is another story). They're just hoping these engines all time-out of their warranties so they don't have to pay to repair them.

Interesting how there appears to be the same kind of wear where the bearing runs there right next to the cam. That definitely looks like the carburization (or whatever surface-hardening process they use) is faulty or non-existent.

Looking at that picture got me wondering: Those surfaces are all supposed to be bathed in oil. I mean, that's THE reason oil is pumped to the area in the first place. Given the bearing wear, I wonder if this isn't an oil-delivery issue instead of a hardening issue, like a severely blocked passage. That would explain why so many cams died in one engine over such a short period.

Worn Cam Lobes (Me too!!!)

Riding a 2014 GS and at the 60,000 Km valve clearance check was told that all 4 cams and followers have pre-mature wear on them and need to be changed out. Will probably do the repair as I love the bike, but am looking at a $5,000.00 (CDN) repair bill.

First of all, there seems to be enough of these failures to have BMW admit that there is a problem. At this point I would like to figure out what is happening....is there some kind of a common thread? Is BMW offering ANY kind of help at all? Is it a surface hardening problem? Is it an oil supply to the camshafts issue? Are we running the right oil? ( I have been using the BMW Advantec Pro oil since my last valve check @ 40,000 Km, but was running the MOTOEX 5W 40 prior) Is it an RPM issue? ( I typically never run mine lower than 3000 and if I am pulling, usually never lower than 3500).

I would love to get some input from BMW directly as I am concerned that I will spend this money only to have the replacement cams wear within the next 60,000 Ks. Also, if this is a prevalent problem, why does BMW charge so much for the replacement cams? (I know we are talking BMW here!!!!) Maybe the MOA publication needs to put this issue into ink??? I know it might devalue our bikes, but if the manufacturer would help out, it would actually help the brand overall.

I would love some feedback from ya'll as I have some time to think about the next step. It's snowing outside...can't go south cause of Covid...and the best I can hope for is an early spring!!!

Gerhard Bender

Calgary, Alberta

Riding a 2014 GS and at the 60,000 Km valve clearance check was told that all 4 cams and followers have pre-mature wear on them and need to be changed out. Will probably do the repair as I love the bike, but am looking at a $5,000.00 (CDN) repair bill.

First of all, there seems to be enough of these failures to have BMW admit that there is a problem. At this point I would like to figure out what is happening....is there some kind of a common thread? Is BMW offering ANY kind of help at all? Is it a surface hardening problem? Is it an oil supply to the camshafts issue? Are we running the right oil? ( I have been using the BMW Advantec Pro oil since my last valve check @ 40,000 Km, but was running the MOTOEX 5W 40 prior) Is it an RPM issue? ( I typically never run mine lower than 3000 and if I am pulling, usually never lower than 3500).

I would love to get some input from BMW directly as I am concerned that I will spend this money only to have the replacement cams wear within the next 60,000 Ks. Also, if this is a prevalent problem, why does BMW charge so much for the replacement cams? (I know we are talking BMW here!!!!) Maybe the MOA publication needs to put this issue into ink??? I know it might devalue our bikes, but if the manufacturer would help out, it would actually help the brand overall.

I would love some feedback from ya'll as I have some time to think about the next step. It's snowing outside...can't go south cause of Covid...and the best I can hope for is an early spring!!!

Gerhard Bender

Calgary, Alberta

That's a lot of scarole. What is the bike worth in good condition?

Worn Cam Lobes (Me too!!!)

Yes, that too is under consideration and I know my local (Blackfoot) would love to get me onto a new 1250....but aside from the extra mula, I have reservations....weight, new technology that needs some proving before I will buy into. Besides, I am trying to make a point here that BMW has the capacity to build a quality bike that shouldn't have major engine components giving out at 60,000 K....(~40,000 Mi), and if they do (as numbers are starting to prove), they should admit it and get behind the fix. That's what upholds a good reputation on a high quality machine. Am I wrong?

G

I seem to recall that BMW has covered some out-of warranty repairs. It might be worth a shot, considering the $$$ at stake. I'll be checking my cams this weekend at just under 36K miles on my '18 RT. Cams were replaced at 24K miles. I doubt BMW will ever release any helpful information regarding the problem. I too wish BMWON would advocate in some way for its members, but may be too deep in the tank to BMWOA.

Yes, that too is under consideration and I know my local (Blackfoot) would love to get me onto a new 1250....but aside from the extra mula, I have reservations....weight, new technology that needs some proving before I will buy into. Besides, I am trying to make a point here that BMW has the capacity to build a quality bike that shouldn't have major engine components giving out at 60,000 K....(~40,000 Mi), and if they do (as numbers are starting to prove), they should admit it and get behind the fix. That's what upholds a good reputation on a high quality machine. Am I wrong?

G

You could always get a hex head or cam head GS.

I seem to recall that BMW has covered some out-of warranty repairs. It might be worth a shot, considering the $$$ at stake. .

I too would have a good dealership contact BMW in a "goodwill" warranty effort before doing anything. After all, no vehicle should need new camshafts at 30,000 miles. At least see if they will spring the $ for the parts if you pay for the labor.

If they say no, then you can decide if you want to spend the money out-of-pocket to fix the bike yourself.

My 2016 !200gs cams are fine at the 24K check. Although, with a BMW, that's a bit like the joke about the man that fell out of the window on a 100 story building. As he passed the 50th floor, someone shouted "how's it going?" "So far, so good!" he said!

I, too, suggest you persuade your dealer to contact BMW and request, quietly and respectfully, their help in the matter. They do know about it and have helped other victims in this manner.

Blackfoot is a good-sized, influential dealer. I think they could/should be your advocate.

Back