Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Post here if you've had prematurely worn cam lobe(s) in your wethead

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    So they are doing the rocker arms also. That is the issue as has been said but I still dont understand it.

If a diamond coating fails as in comes off, hows does it become harder and cut the cams more then a diamond coating? I mean I used diamond coated drill bits to cut glass so understand the abrasive properties but do not understand the sliding or not wearing the cam lobe unless it fails.

Not arguing, just trying to understand that concept.
    Not really sure to be honest. If they're replacing all eight rocker arms, it would seem that the rocker arms are too hard for the cam material. If they're replacing the cam because it's too soft, that might be a second quality issue that when it's combined with the first, causes engine problems.

I they are replacing all 8 rocker arms, shouldn't they also replace all 4 cams? It seems there is no way to know if further degrading of the coating would not occur in the future.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    I they are replacing all 8 rocker arms, shouldn't they also replace all 4 cams? It seems there is no way to know if further degrading of the coating would not occur in the future.
    Not sure. My expertise is more with Harley motors than BMW's, this is my first one.

That said, if cost was no object and I was the one calling the shots, the protocol to assure no second-order impacts in my mind would be to replace the rocker arms, replace the cams (all of them). replace the oil pump (it's been pumping metal), replace the oil and filter, drop and flush the sump, and do a full engine flush to get as much metal out of the oil paths and bearings as humanly possible. Inspect the piston sleeves for scoring. Install a magnetic oil plug.

Then, treat it like a break-in service and change the oil and filter at 500-600 miles with a valve check, cam lobe inspection, and a solid eyeballing.

But that's a perfect situation in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    They have to be replaced as a set for each head.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by mikehsg View Post
    Not sure. My expertise is more with Harley motors than BMW's, this is my first one.

That said, if cost was no object and I was the one calling the shots, the protocol to assure no second-order impacts in my mind would be to replace the rocker arms, replace the cams (all of them). replace the oil pump (it's been pumping metal), replace the oil and filter, drop and flush the sump, and do a full engine flush to get as much metal out of the oil paths and bearings as humanly possible. Inspect the piston sleeves for scoring. Install a magnetic oil plug.

Then, treat it like a break-in service and change the oil and filter at 500-600 miles with a valve check, cam lobe inspection, and a solid eyeballing.

But that's a perfect situation in my mind.
    I've heard they only do the cams and followers. I have to wonder what the effects are of that crap going though the oiling system. It's like, lets do the bare minimum to get them beyond having to do anything more about it. IMO, I would say replace the engine.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube

The suggested fix from Bob's was all 8 rocker arms ....
    I think of those as "cam followers." And if they are replacing 8 cam followers, then they should also be replacing 4 camshafts.

As an aside, at least one member of this forum posted earlier in this thread that they had cam lobe wear happen a second time after the initial repair.

Cap

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I've heard they only do the cams and followers. I have to wonder what the effects are of that crap going though the oiling system. It's like, lets do the bare minimum to get them beyond having to do anything more about it. IMO, I would say replace the engine.
    I did tell the service writer if they'd give me full book for it I'd trade it right then. I have concerns for the longevity of the motor, TBH, but if the oil's clean and doesn't look like it had a stripper in the sump, may be OK. I mean, if the cam metal's crap then it's likely softer than the rest of the motor.

What are the odds?

Does anyone have any idea of how prevalent the problem is? How many failures out of how many engines manufactured? Are there any dealers on this site that could tell us/me how many bikes (with this engine) have the problem vs. how many they've serviced? I'm having my bike (2017 R1200RT) checked (20,000 miles) this week and I'm wondering about my odds.

Quote Originally Posted by mxsx337 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea of how prevalent the problem is? How many failures out of how many engines manufactured? Are there any dealers on this site that could tell us/me how many bikes (with this engine) have the problem vs. how many they've serviced? I'm having my bike (2017 R1200RT) checked (20,000 miles) this week and I'm wondering about my odds.
    Given there's been little effort in finding incidences and that the dealers seem to be quite familiar with it, the prevalence can't be that low. But, my gut tells me BMW considers the specifics to be proprietary as it's not a recall.

Quote Originally Posted by mxsx337 View Post
    I am sure BMW knows, but there's nothing to be gained by sharing that information. Heck, they are often reluctant to admit there are problems let alone the details of how many etc.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube

UPDATE: The awesome team at Bob's and BMW are making this one right. They're covering 100% of he repairs for me, and since it's dealer service, all parts and labor are warranted for 2 years.

Waiting on parts for a couple/few weeks, but they're standing behind the bike. THIS is how you get loyal riders!

UPDATE: The awesome team at Bob's and BMW are making this one right. They're covering 100% of he repairs for me, and since it's dealer service, all parts and labor are warranted for 2 years.

Waiting on parts for a couple/few weeks, but they're standing behind the bike. THIS is how you get loyal riders!
    Good for you! A bright spot in this ongoing problem.

A shame for all those who have had this issue, and those who are yet to experience it.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Good for you! A bright spot in this ongoing problem.

A shame for all those who have had this issue, and those who are yet to experience it.
    Inspect, inspect, inspect!

Inspect, inspect, inspect!
    I do every 6K.

I check valves and cam timing and change FD fluid and oil and filter every 6K.

It is all I can do to stay on top of it.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I do every 6K.

I check valves and cam timing and change FD fluid and oil and filter every 6K.

It is all I can do to stay on top of it.
    Once correctly set does the cam timing change???
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/