• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring Harness

I have a new to me 1995 R1100RSL

CD3E8E11-4505-4575-82A5-0D9CB1735265.jpeg

First question not real important but what does the the L stand for in RSL? Heck what does the RS stand for as well?
The second question the wraps around the wiring harness seems to have dissolved, disintegrated or something, what should I do? I am replacing brake lines so tank and fairing removed I thought where cable ties that I can get to hold harness to frame I would cut them put a few wraps of tape around harness than replace ties, should I do more?

EB5882CD-EDA1-4457-8D69-9FC8562D5F4F.jpeg2262487E-A551-4EDF-8797-C8EC342B01AD.jpeg

The answer to your "L" question is right in your photo. Not sure what the L actually means, but the RSL has a lower fairing, while the RS does not.

Again, I'm sure that there are correct German words for it, but the traditional two cylinder boxers had various style designations - R - Road, RT - Road Touring, S - Sport, RS - Road Sport, GS - GS refers to Gelände/Straße (German: off-road/road)

Someone will recommend a brand of wire wrap to use to recover your harness.

Lowers

The answer to your "L" question is right in your photo. Not sure what the L actually means, but the RSL has a lower fairing, while the RS does not.

Again, I'm sure that there are correct German words for it, but the traditional two cylinder boxers had various style designations - R - Road, RT - Road Touring, S - Sport, RS - Road Sport, GS - GS refers to Gelände/Straße (German: off-road/road)

Someone will recommend a brand of wire wrap to use to recover your harness.

According to my title the white bike is a 1994 R1100RSL
Edit: I can’t find where it said pearl bike is a RSL model so I might be wrong
Oddly enough the year older bike does not have the disintegration of the wiring wrap

Last edited:
If the bike came with heated grips or an antique radio, the "L" was in the suffix.

On Real Oem, my bike is an RTL because it did come equipped with a radio and heated grips from the OEM.

I can't comment on the fairing difference as the reason for the "L".

Your wiring harness is biodegrading as designed.

Oilheads are first BMW designed after that requirement was legislated. Next generation bikes have CANBus and metal/Teflon brake hoses. Some of the latest bikes use rubber straps rather than cable ties to manage wiring—see on new bikes at dealer.

What does CANBus and metal/Teflon brake hoses have to do with biodegradable?

SS & teflon are the furthest from Biodegrable and Canbus is a communication protocol

On the oilheads the sheathing is Soy based, the wire insulation is PVC

Back