Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best year for r1200C?

Best year for r1200C?

Thinking of picking one up as a second bike, they seem to be fairly short money and most used ones I'm seeing have pretty low miles on them. There's 4 here in the marketplace presently for sale/.

Best year?
    Known issues with certain years?
    Worth the price as a cruiser?

Just something for around town,

MODS, if on the wrong section, please move, thanks
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Head over to Chromeheads.org. You should be able to find answers to most of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    Head over to Chromeheads.org. You should be able to find answers to most of your questions.
    I just found that place linked in another forum, took a look around, great resource on these bikes, thanks
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

3 Red Bricks
    Brownie,

Just be aware that the C only has 61hp. The CL weighs in at 678lb. The Montauk is 583lb. and the others are 563lb.

Every one I've ever seen had a hell of a time keeping up on a normal Sunday breakfast ride. Their owners quickly became frustrated with them.

They are pretty.

They were intended to be more like a Harley so I guess they added weight and took out horsepower (a bunch).

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Will probably move this to Oilheads after a bit of time!!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Since I can normally keep up on my G310 I think I could with twice that horsepower. One can always hope.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Brownie,

Just be aware that the C only has 61hp. The CL weighs in at 678lb. The Montauk is 583lb. and the others are 563lb.

Every one I've ever seen had a hell of a time keeping up on a normal Sunday breakfast ride. Their owners quickly became frustrated with them.

They are pretty.

They were intended to be more like a Harley so I guess they added weight and took out horsepower (a bunch).

that's good to know, thanks

Has anyone ever tried to "hot-rod" one? So many use the same basic engine, I can't imagine it being all that difficult...

I had one [Montauk] for a brief period. I only sold it because I could not get comfortable on it.....[long story] I tried everything. Frankly, keep it in it's 'happy' range & it's not that bad. And I was roughly 230 pounds +/- on it's back. Now .... if you're trying to chase 'fast' bikes? ..... yeah you're likely to fall behind.

Fortunately for me .... I'm seldom in a hurry.....
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to "hot-rod" one? So many use the same basic engine, I can't imagine it being all that difficult...

I had one [Montauk] for a brief period. I only sold it because I could not get comfortable on it.....[long story] I tried everything. Frankly, keep it in it's 'happy' range & it's not that bad. And I was roughly 230 pounds +/- on it's back. Now .... if you're trying to chase 'fast' bikes? ..... yeah you're likely to fall behind.

Fortunately for me .... I'm seldom in a hurry.....
    Ron,

They were lower compression than any other R1200. So, all you would have to do is probably change pistons, cams, injectors and fuel mapping. Not worth it? Probably not when just about any BMW at any price or age (other than some airheads) is quicker.

If you like it's looks (which I do) and are comfortable riding at a stately pace at all times (which I am not), it could be the bike for you.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I had a 2004 CL for about 5 years. It was awkward at parking lot speed, for sure, and not the quickest off the line, but it was a GREAT highway bike. I rode mine from Toronto, Ontario out to California, up the PCH and to the Bend, Oregon rally. Going 90+ MPH out through Montana was absolutely no problem. It kept up with my husband's R1200RT just fine.

3 Red Bricks
    They were able to get to 100mph eventualy, but, like any underpowered vehicle, having the power to accelerate around a vehicle without a lot of distance to pass was not its strong suit. YMMV

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    It kept up with my husband's R1200RT just fine.
    I suggest that it was more that he was comfortable going at the pace that the CL was capable of.

o
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Ron,

They were lower compression than any other R1200. So, all you would have to do is probably change pistons, cams, injectors and fuel mapping. Not worth it? Probably not when just about any BMW at any price or age (other than some airheads) is quicker.

If you like it's looks (which I do) and are comfortable riding at a stately pace at all times (which I am not), it could be the bike for you.

I think ? you have me confused with another. I don't want one, I had one...but again, just could not find comfort on it.

As I said, and yes I agree...H/P mods shouldn't be all that difficult.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

3 Red Bricks
    Ron,

Actually, I only intended the first paragraph for you. I should have specified that the second paragraph was for the OP. Oops.

I think that the HP mods WOULD be difficult and expensive. WAY more that the cost of a better bike.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Seems to me in the past I saw somewhere a conversion with more power for the CL. It was not cheap. Maybe in Chrome head web site.