• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Emergency Key - Unclear manual text

ltrnbmo

Hello. Just brought home yesterday my first BMW motorcycle - 2019 R125GS HP. The owner's manual is, well, not the simplest one I have ever read - using "coupling" instead of "clutch engaged", etc. I will ask about the different confusing parts here one at a time. First up - the plastic "emergency key."

I read some suggestions here, before my decision to buy, and asked the dealer to order me a metal emergency key. Some say there is no chip in the key, while others say there is. It looks to me like it does have a RFID-type chip and the manual text seems to confirm this. Then, will the metal version have the same coded RFID chip in it?

So, I am reading the manual about the "EWS Electronic Immobilizer" on page 62. Under the section "Battery of the key fob is empty...lost", it states that the motorcycle can be started by using the emergency key. And later states, "Hold the emergency key or empty key fob transmitter against the rear wheel cover at the height of the antenna." What does this mean? The picture in the manual gives no real clue as to what or where the "contact" is supposed to happen. The rear wheel? The rear wheel cover? Where is there an antenna in the rear wheel? What does this have to do with On/Off button up by the handlebars? I am totally confused by this and tried taking the fob far away from the bike and touching the emergency key all around the rear wheel and pushing the On/Off button, only to have the red light on the display panel just blink at me.

Does anyone have a better explanation of how this is supposed to work, and a real picture of where this contact is supposed to happen, and then what to do next to get the bike started?

under rear fender

There is a sensor for that plastic key mounted above the rear fender. If you hold your plastic key close to it (I hold it above the rear tire, below the fender) you can start your bike. The regular key fob for keyless ignition has a range of about 1 meter; the plastic key seems to need to be within 10 cm or so. The plastic key is fine for starting the bike--you don't need a metal one for starting. But if you intend to use it as a "key" to open locks, then the plastic key is not robust enough for much of that.

. The plastic key is fine for starting the bike--you don't need a metal one for starting. But if you intend to use it as a "key" to open locks, then the plastic key is not robust enough for much of that.

I agree.
I ordered non chipped metal keys for our bikes to use on the bag and seat locks.

Welcome to the forum.

It appears you need to hold it on the wheel cover in the location indicated in the picture. I consider a wheel cover the rear fender.

The emergency key or the radio-operated key with the empty bat-tery must bein contact with the rear-wheel cover

Screenshot_2019-07-25 R_0J91_RM_0518_01 pdf.png

Still don't get it.

I have no idea what the manual picture is showing me. Where is this? This picture doesn't look like anything on my bike. I finally just held the key under the center of the fender of the rear frame section (as far back as the back of the passenger seat) and the display came to life. But with a big warning that I may not be able to start the bike again if the engine stopped. What kind of scare tactic is that? I turned off the display, without starting the engine, and got the fob close by and started the bike normally. Whew. So, I kinda know sorta where the location of the "antenna" is, but still not sure.

Laying down on the floor looking up to the fender, I still don't recognize what the manual picture is showing me. Perhaps someone who knows exactly where this antenna thingy is located can take a good picture or two, showing enough of the bike, to discern the location.

The warning is telling you you'll need to do the same procedure unless you replace the dead battery in your fob or replace the lost fob.

I feel your pain! I just went through much of what you speak about on my 2019 R1200GSA. Sadly the owners manual can be useless in certain areas especially the TFT operation. I've been using tutorials on "You Tube" to help me work part way through that. Concerning the key: I ordered a replacement key FOB with metal key that duplicates the one key FOB you get ($302 ouch!) I would never use the plastic emergency with my side case locks, it'll break. I've been warned that the metal key can also break due to the stiff case mounting brackets. Service Mgr. also told me he can order a replacement metal key for the key FOB in that situation. I do carry a replacement battery for the FOB if it loses power while I'm on a trip ($5). Concerning the use of the emergency plastic key should the key FOB go dead. It will start the bike and I did it. Referring to the mediocre owners manual explanation and ridiculous diagram shown and only God knows where that antenna is on page 62-63. I finally found it. It's about a 3" diameter raised circle underneath the fender plastic liner to the front of the rear tire. Hold the plastic key on that circular area, dash will light up and you can hit the start button, it'll start. I hope this helps, I did my best with my description.

Back