• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Oil filler cap?

PoorUB

Does anybody make a replacement oil filler cap that uses a "normal " wrench or no wrench at all? 2018 R1200RT.

Does anybody make a replacement oil filler cap that uses a "normal " wrench or no wrench at all? 2018 R1200RT.

I've only seen ones with more of a "locking" system. The tool to open is under the seat, it's also used to undo the screws holding the rear seat, but I just do them by hand.

Jay

On trips I use the screwdriver handle which is under the seat.
At home I use the little plastic tool you can buy at a dealer.

71117691446_1_B.jpg

71117691446_3_B.jpg

Part number 71 11 7 691 446 OPENER OIL CAP $6.41

I am aware how to get the OEM cap off, I was just looking for something that does not need a specific tool.

Wonder if the Hex/Camhead cap would fit?
Handy tabs instead of smooth top, no need for a tool.
11127677368 $6.35
11127677368_1_N.jpg
1.5 mm thread pitch
32.5 mm at thread root, 33.5mm at thread tips

Install with thumb and index finger.
Does not vibrate loose, does not leak.
Remove with thumb(s) and index finger.

Last edited:
Handy tabs instead of smooth, no need for a tool.
11127677368 $6.35
View attachment 74942

Install with two thumbs and one index finger.
Remove with two thumbs and one index finger.

The cap in post #5 shows it fits all R1200 bikes.
Sounds like the cap you show would work if all R1200 bikes have the same filler hole in the valve cover.

The cap in post #5 shows it fits all R1200 bikes.
Sounds like the cap you show would work if all R1200 bikes have the same filler hole in the valve cover.

It DOES! I had it on my 2012 R1200GSA and now on my 2018 R1200GSW

I have a similar cap to the one in post #6 on my 2016 RT. Both are great options and work well.

Handy tabs instead of smooth top, no need for a tool.
11127677368 $6.35
View attachment 74942
1.5 mm thread pitch
32.5 mm at thread root, 33.5mm at thread tips

Install with thumb and index finger.
Remove with thumb(s) and index finger.

Something like that is what I am looking for. I don't need to spend 1/2 of a fortune on one either so the price is right. It doesn't need the BMW logo on it either! I might order one just to try it.

FWIW ...

... no mention yet of the special tool requirement being an anti vandalism feature.

The Winderlich cap for my Oilhead uses a 7mm Allen, a size very few own.

FWIW ...

... no mention yet of the special tool requirement being an anti vandalism feature.

I have a similar 7mm cap on my 2016 RT and like it too. Although the 7mm is somewhat rare in most hex sets I honestly never worry about theft or vandalism.

This 7mm product along with the BMW cap both dress up the look a bit but the is personal taste I suspect.

Last edited:
FWIW ...

Point well made. The cap used needs to be designed in a way that prevents public access to the crankcase.

E.

FWIW ...

I have been riding for 50 years and not once has anyone shown any interest in my motorcycle's oil filler. Most didn't even have a locking gas cap.

IMO, the vandalism issue is not even an issue. Much more likely that someone will just kick the bike over, key the paint, or some other form of vandalism, and that rarely happens.

Back