Thread: F800GSA missing Brake Rotor

F800GSA missing Brake Rotor

I'm looking at a 2014 F800GSA. It looks to be in good shape, has just over 7K miles on it and has no VIN record of it being wrecked. However, one of the front brake rotors and caliper has been removed and is inside one of the side cases. It's at a non-BMW dealer, who has no explanation as to why this is so.

Is there any reason someone would intentionally remove a rotor etc from a bike like this? I'm suspicious...

As an aside, the bike has an MOA sticker on one of the panniers. Maybe the previous owner will read this?

Quote Originally Posted by 1SGPix View Post
    I'm looking at a 2014 F800GSA. It looks to be in good shape, has just over 7K miles on it and has no VIN record of it being wrecked. However, one of the front brake rotors and caliper has been removed and is inside one of the side cases. It's at a non-BMW dealer, who has no explanation as to why this is so.

Is there any reason someone would intentionally remove a rotor etc from a bike like this? I'm suspicious...

As an aside, the bike has an MOA sticker on one of the panniers. Maybe the previous owner will read this?
    Run! Don't walk. Run!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I've read of a few people who chose to go with a high fender conversion to avoid mud packing in the front fender. Since the front brake line has a cross over hose to the second caliper, it requires a major change to the lines to keep both front discs. Rather than do dual front lines they go the easy way out with a single front brake. Despite claims that it works fine, I wouldn't want to give up half my front brakes.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    I've read of a few people who chose to go with a high fender conversion to avoid mud packing in the front fender. Since the front brake line has a cross over hose to the second caliper, it requires a major change to the lines to keep both front discs. Rather than do dual front lines they go the easy way out with a single front brake. Despite claims that it works fine, I wouldn't want to give up half my front brakes.
    Run! Don't walk! Run! This is demeaning sound engineering. Run.. Fast!
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    People do odd things to their bikes. I remember a fellow rider on a Yamaha DT250? back in the day drilled A Lot of holes in his frame supposedly to lighten it. Not something I would do. If this dealer was hiding something would they have left the parts in the bag
    Ask for previous owners contact number- or for the PO to contact you. Reluctance may give you a hint.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Disabling 50% of front braking is nuts. There is no rational reason other than cheapness, which we BMW owners can do in spades without blinking sometimes. De-engineering or dis-engineering, or whatever is not a sound mental exercise. Run, run, run. Whatever else might have been done to save a few bucks? Run! Do not walk. Run as fast as yo can.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Disabling 50% of front braking is nuts. There is no rational reason other than cheapness, which we BMW owners can do in spades without blinking sometimes. De-engineering or dis-engineering, or whatever is not a sound mental exercise. Run, run, run. Whatever else might have been done to save a few bucks? Run! Do not walk. Run as fast as yo can.
    I fully agree, compromising braking performance for cost saving (or any reason) is foolish.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

I can't believe a dealer of any make would sell this to someone.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Update

Dealer said he'd re-install the rotor etc, but I'm still going to walk. Additional red-flags popped up, like the engine guards have been painted, levers, bar ends, grips and hand guards are not OEM etc. Too hinky for me. Sometimes a good price does not equal a good deal!