• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 GSA Value to shoot for?

mslacool

I have two GS bikes a 2002 and a 2011 but I have my heart set on a 2016 GSA as a target. ( Another GS in addition to my basically worthless LT, with what is probably a rear main seal leak. i want Low miles, farkled up by someone who had to have it, never used it and is ready to move on to something else my target price is 500 more than the dealer might pay.... I am willing to be patient and I want a specific color ( white).... Is 15000 the right number. I see lots of them at 16 or 17 and up but like a lot of bikes, that can't take a trade, it seems like privately they never sell for what the owner is asking. I would like to be in my bikes at wholesale when I buy them since they take a nose dive thereafter anyway. I rode one two years back and thought the difference between the 16 and 012 and before was remarkable.

I drive about 10,000 miles a year.

Thoughts?

Paul

Looks like you pretty much answered your own question. If you are seeing them for $16K to $17K then that is what they are selling for. It really is a matter of what is "the best deal" for YOU. If you want a pristine low mile bike then you will probably be paying the higher end of the price spectrum. If however for YOU the best deal is all about the price then you can wait and watch and should be able to land one for the lower end of the price spectrum.

When looking for a bike I usually do a national search on Cycle Trader and get the average price across all bikes being sold. But for me personally I prefer the most perfect and pristine bike out there and am willing to spend $500 or $1000 more to get the bike I want in the color I want.

Here is what I found for 2016 R1200GSA. There are 47 bikes for sale with a high price of $19,999 and low of $11,999. The average price of all 47 is $16,276. That should provide a good idea of what you will be spending for a 2016 GSA. Then you can simply evaluate things like mileage, condition, location, assessors and color. But it certainly looks like about $16K is what you will be spending. Also, waiting until the fall or winter you should be able to save some $$

Hope this helps! Good luck with your hunt.

https://www.cycletrader.com/2016-BM...4949111&trim=GS ADVENTURE|4325&year=2016:2016

thank you ed

Looks like you pretty much answered your own question. If you are seeing them for $16K to $17K then that is what they are selling for. It really is a matter of what is "the best deal" for YOU. If you want a pristine low mile bike then you will probably be paying the higher end of the price spectrum. If however for YOU the best deal is all about the price then you can wait and watch and should be able to land one for the lower end of the price spectrum.

When looking for a bike I usually do a national search on Cycle Trader and get the average price across all bikes being sold. But for me personally I prefer the most perfect and pristine bike out there and am willing to spend $500 or $1000 more to get the bike I want in the color I want.

Here is what I found for 2016 R1200GSA. There are 47 bikes for sale with a high price of $19,999 and low of $11,999. The average price of all 47 is $16,276. That should provide a good idea of what you will be spending for a 2016 GSA. Then you can simply evaluate things like mileage, condition, location, assessors and color. But it certainly looks like about $16K is what you will be spending. Also, waiting until the fall or winter you should be able to save some $$

Hope this helps! Good luck with your hunt.

https://www.cycletrader.com/2016-BM...4949111&trim=GS ADVENTURE|4325&year=2016:2016

thank you ed

I will try to drive a 17

Personally I would go for a 17 as that has the new transmission upgrades.

My 17.5 GS is butter shifting compared to my 15 RT. It truly is night and day. If your going for a "new" one the 17 is what I would strive for.

Never have driven one above a 16... wanted it for the keyless ignition...

Paul
Thank you.

To make it more complicated, with the GS there is an early and a late 2017, early looks more like 2016 and doesn't have all the changes and upgrades. Need to do some research, but personally on my RT I wanted the newer tranny, it was worth the $1000 premium over a 2016..

Introduction of the 1250GS seems to have softened resale prices a bit on used GS bikes. Just a couple of weeks ago I was shopping; the dealer had a 2017 with under 2k miles and equipped with MV bags and some smaller farkles. That could have been snagged for $16.5k, the unmolested 2018 I acquired from a private owner also had only 2k miles and was less money than the 2017 at the dealership. And a perusal of used GS bikes on KSL.com shows numerous other late-model GS/ADV bikes at very reasonable prices, many of them I suspect are sellers anxious to jump into the latest and greatest new offering from BMW. So some shopping around may turn up similar opportunities in your area.

And yes, the 2017 and up are noticeably nicer rides.

Good luck,
DeVern

I would not say nicer, just nicer shifting :)

:). They are both different, and in many ways nicer, than the R100GS I sold to get the 1200. And in its own way, my ‘84 G/S-PD is “nicer” than either one.

I do like the TFT display for my antique eyes, tho...
:lol

Best,
DeVern

Early 17’s look like 16’s.

Late 17’s look like 18’s.

Body work wise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently own a 2016 RT and a 2018 GS and for me they are both great bikes and mechanically I don't notice a significant difference in running, shifting, etc. The big difference is the '18 GS has the TFT display and keyless. I would honestly have preferred the '18 not having either but it was a leftover and I really liked the bike and got a killer deal on it. On the GS bikes I think the keyless is simply a PIA ! No functional benefit. The TFT is really easy to read in all light and provides a ton of info but I hear very "fragile" to scratching and such.

Find the bike you like at the price you are comfortable with and go for it. All the water heads are darn good bikes. I would make sure it has Shift Assist Pro.

I can't say I ever met a manual transmission that I didn't like. Driven heavy old hulking trucks where double clutching was de rigueur, three on the column and four on the floor, older Honda motorcycles, loaner motorcycles and now a 2017 GSA. The engines all just respond to throttle requests but the transmissions are the soul of the machines. Damnit rpm's get in line and you, you clutch, honor your gears.

Pro-shift on the GSA is something and removes none of my transmission fascination. When I get it right from second up and all the way back down, it is pure symphony and having the CPU whip the rpms into compliance suites me just fine. I see those precisely hobbed gears, bathed in golden oil, syncing their teeth into forward motion. Do I miss a gear whether fully manual or on Pro-shift? Yes but that's my fault being out of sync with the gearbox. Any clunk shifting into first to me is the transmission talking to the clutch, "I boss".

I can't say I ever met a manual transmission that I didn't like. Driven heavy old hulking trucks where double clutching was de rigueur, three on the column and four on the floor, older Honda motorcycles, loaner motorcycles and now a 2017 GSA. The engines all just respond to throttle requests but the transmissions are the soul of the machines. Damnit rpm's get in line and you, you clutch, honor your gears.

Pro-shift on the GSA is something and removes none of my transmission fascination. When I get it right from second up and all the way back down, it is pure symphony and having the CPU whip the rpms into compliance suites me just fine. I see those precisely hobbed gears, bathed in golden oil, syncing their teeth into forward motion. Do I miss a gear whether fully manual or on Pro-shift? Yes but that's my fault being out of sync with the gearbox. Any clunk shifting into first to me is the transmission talking to the clutch, "I boss".

Very well said! I think you nailed it!

To make it more complicated, with the GS there is an early and a late 2017, early looks more like 2016 and doesn't have all the changes and upgrades. Need to do some research, but personally on my RT I wanted the newer tranny, it was worth the $1000 premium over a 2016..

I think you're correct, my bike has "Abs Pro" I later added Hill start Control. There was confusion if this bike supported it for that year.. For some reason it came without it. I added it later. (I would say I rarely use it. Clutch and throttle control is preferred.)

Here's my 2017:

'Type 0A11
Model R1200gs Us - USA
Development Code K50
Engine A74
Displacement 1.20
Power 92
Drivetrain KAR
Transmission MECH
Color Racingred Uni - NA5
Upholstery Nicht Gemeldet - 0000
Production Plant BERLIN
Production Date 2016-09-08

Options
191 Dynamic Esa Dynamic Esa
192 Led-headlamp Led-scheinwerfer
193 Keyless Ride Keyless Ride
221 On-board Computer Pro Bordcomputer Pro
222 Shift Assistant Pro Sa Schaltassistent Pro
224 Driving Mode Pro Fahrmodi Pro
233 Touring-paket Touring-paket
272 Prep Navigation System Vorbereitung Navigationsgeraet
499 Sa Lwr Placement Tieferlegung.
5AC Abs Pro Abs Pro
519 Sa Htd Handles Sa Heizgriffe
530 Sa Rdc Sa Rdc
538 Cruise Control Temporegelung
589 Sa Handguard Sa Handschutz
650 Sa Asc Sa Asc
681 Sa Suitcase Holder Lh Rh Sa Kofferhalter Li/re
771 Sa Cross-spoke Wheels Sa Kreuzspeichenraeder

Used 2016 1200 gs

Not sure if it applies to you. Sorry if it doesn't. I purchased a 2016 1200 GS, with touratech panniers, Denali fog lights, SW-MOTECH adjustable clutch...mileage was 10,500.

Purchase price: $13,500. I believe if you are patient, you will be able to find a decent price. I was going to do a "fly and ride"... but I opted for shipping door to door. This was around $600.

As a point of reference, my 2016 GSA with all 3 panniers, GPS, and a couple farkles was 15.5k with 7,200 miles. Still had a couple months of factory warranty left. It's now got 12k on it (after less than 3 months ownership). Solid bike.

Back