Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USPS Informed Delivery

Protection against the results of theft of one’s mail is one of the most significant benefits. Theft from mailboxes is not an uncommon event in some areas, most often rural areas in MT. Informed delivery will not prevent it but can help in mitigating the damage.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Thanks for the tip...just signed up. This will be great when we're on extended travel.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Looking at my "dashboard" for the past week, on 5 of the 6 delivery days this message appeared: "There is a mailpiece for which we do not currently have an image that is included in Today's mail." Some of those missing pieces were junk mail, but yesterday we received a doctor's bill that was not shown in the email. So there is still potential for important items to go astray without my knowledge.

Another observation about this service: I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that USPS is keeping a record of my mail. I know the mail is sorted electronically, so there has to be some sort of scanner, but why are the results being stored? How long are the pictures being kept? Who has access to the images? Are the images created only for Informed Delivery subscribers or they made for all mail?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Another observation about this service: I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that USPS is keeping a record of my mail. I know the mail is sorted electronically, so there has to be some sort of scanner, but why are the results being stored? How long are the pictures being kept? Who has access to the images? Are the images created only for Informed Delivery subscribers or they made for all mail?
    Good questions but small potatoes in the grand scheme of all the data warehousing that is happening without your direct knowledge. You really don't want to know the answers or they will keep you up at night.