• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Joy of K Bike Ownership

up-date

As discussed earlier one of the issues with working on a "K" bike is getting to the job site..... I'm trying a new approach.

On my way to a club breakfast Saturday morning I had a brief but unfortunate encounter with a deer. Fortunately it was a slow stretch of very narrow rural road and a fairly small deer (just out of spots). I didn't go down and when I found a place wide enough to get turned around without backing and filling I went back and found no trace of the deer so hopefully it got off as easy as I did (although I did find a tuft of deer hair in the cracked left side fairing). I found a safe spot to park the bike and gave it a thorough inspection, found nothing damaged except tupperware, and so rode on to breakfast and then home again. Bottom line is I will need to replace the left side panel and the forward upper trim piece.

The good news is now that I have all the bodywork removed I can get around to doing all the stuff I have been procrastinating about for the last year or so. Perhaps everything does happen for a purpose.

In all seriousness though, even though this was a very minor deer hit by Texas standards it was still a hit, and I believe the main reason I didn't go down was that the shattering fairing absorbed the brunt of the impact. Doesn't make the replacement parts any cheaper, but it does make them worth the price.

Many, many years ago in my youth, I drove electric fork lifts at the local brewery. You'd put your foot down and the machine would quietly and really, really accelerate. No sluggishness like the gas and propane fork lifts.

It dawned on me last week that the K I've owned for 15 years is very similar to the electric fork lifts I used to drive back in the 60s and 70s. It accelerates so quickly and smoothly, almost like what I'd expect an electric motorcycle to feel like. My friend's K75 is even smoother! :thumb

update update

As discussed earlier one of the issues with working on a "K" bike is getting to the job site..... I'm trying a new approach.

On my way to a club breakfast Saturday morning I had a brief but unfortunate encounter with a deer. Fortunately it was a slow stretch of very narrow rural road and a fairly small deer (just out of spots). I didn't go down and when I found a place wide enough to get turned around without backing and filling I went back and found no trace of the deer so hopefully it got off as easy as I did (although I did find a tuft of deer hair in the cracked left side fairing). I found a safe spot to park the bike and gave it a thorough inspection, found nothing damaged except tupperware, and so rode on to breakfast and then home again. Bottom line is I will need to replace the left side panel and the forward upper trim piece.

The good news is now that I have all the bodywork removed I can get around to doing all the stuff I have been procrastinating about for the last year or so. Perhaps everything does happen for a purpose.

In all seriousness though, even though this was a very minor deer hit by Texas standards it was still a hit, and I believe the main reason I didn't go down was that the shattering fairing absorbed the brunt of the impact. Doesn't make the replacement parts any cheaper, but it does make them worth the price.

I just go through ordering the replacement fairing parts to repair the damage done from my deer hit last week and I came on something interesting in the Max BMW fiche section. Normally I order from Max directly online but in this case I decided to phone in the order to make sure of availability and timeline for delivery..... glad I did. When I talked with Greg at the New York location he confirmed the part numbers from the fichethat I had looked up and told me that the price shown was for painted parts and not primed parts as shown in the fiche. He then proceeded to make my day by telling me that the price for primed parts (all that was available and what I actually wanted to start with) was about half the cost shown in the fiche.

Had I ordered directly online using the price shown I'm sure Max BMW would have caught the price difference somewhere in the ordering process and refunded the difference to me in a timely manner, but the moral of the story is "when in doubt, ask".

As always, Max BMW was great to work with.... I've never had a bad experience with them.

Back