• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Joy of K Bike Ownership

VIEJO

About fourteen years ago I made a slightly over zealous right hand turn on my 2003 K1200RS which resulted in the forward two inches of the rear brake pedal being somewhat inwardly deformed. Within forty eight hours I had ordered a replacement part from Max BMW which arrived in due time and took its place on the "get to ASAP" section of my workbench. Having Integral Brakes on the RS meant that almost 99% of my braking (and I'm a fairly aggressive rider) was done using the front brake lever only as the RS is a trifle girthy and a significant weight shift to the left tends to move my right foot away from the rear brake pedal. All of which means, of course, that I just got around to installing the new rear brake pedal this afternoon.

Installing the new pedal took about five minutes..... re-setting the "hair trigger" rear brake light switch took about thirty.... and, it was 106F in my shop this afternoon (Hutto, Texas). :banghead

Joseph Lucas would have been appalled.... or pleased.

I often miss my '54 Panhead Harley where even having a rear brake that worked was never a certainty and a functional brake light was an early Christmas present.

However, one good application of "right wrist therapy" and all will be well in the world again.

Viejo

K bike ownership

the K bike is a joy to ride as it pulls like a freight train (98K1200RS) And yes it was a hot one in pflugerville texas also
Rde safe

As a dedicated Airhead ('76 R90/6, '81 R100, plus a long history of Brit bikes and a few Harleys), a "K" bike was the bike I swore I'd never own.... too many cylinders, pressurized fuel system, too much electronic circuitry, radiators, plastic bodywork, and I couldn't get it in black.

To make a long story short- I ended up with one and now it's the bike I'll never sell.

I repainted it black.

Viejo

14 years to put on a new brake arm, dude you HAVE got to learn to relax and take it easy.
Lifes short- but it ain't that short.. just saying

379,000 miles on a K75T for 19 years speaks for itself. All others can only wish.

Hola Paul!

A record worthy to chase... even in vain.

There is something about a ~750cc configuration- 2, 3, or 4 cylinders, that seems to have a naturally sweet balance. Every 750 I have ridden (even the mid-60's Royal Enfield) was strong and even tempered. If it hadn't been for the notoriously finicky electrics (a collective groan at this point from all Lucas aficionados) the 750 Norton Atlas would probably be remembered as one of the finest British touring machines ever.

I put about 200K on my '76 R90/6 (most of which came after I opened it up to one litre to take some of the high end "buzz" out of it), but it was never quite as smooth as an R75/5. Faster, yes, considerably, but on a long day still not as smooth as the 750.

I think even BMW was surprised by the long term success and rider loyalty inspired by the K75's. I have very little seat time on a K75, probably less than 100 mi, but I was very impressed..... I wish my K1200RS felt as well balanced at low to moderate speeds and to the best of my recollection the K75 felt just as well planted at 80+ mph highway speeds.

Abrazos,

Viejo

We used to tease that BMW quit making the K75 because if you had one, you'd never need another bike, and then what would happen to new bike sales???

Voni
sMiling

We used to tease that BMW quit making the K75 because if you had one, you'd never need another bike, and then what would happen to new bike sales???

Voni
sMiling

Hola Voni,

Actually, I think you're spot on wrt BMW and the K75. They were in such a rush to compete with the Japanese multi cylinder rockets they released the three cylinder bike asap to see if the market would accept a non-Boxer bike from BMW. Then, when it surpassed all their sales and rider satisfaction expectations they blasted ahead to the four cylinder bikes without looking back and appreciating what a gem the K75 series really was.

Back in the '60s and '70s folks said the same thing about the slant six engine..... almost put Chrysler out business..... never broke, never quit.

Viejo

Should I or shouldn't I?

I have an opportunity to add a '92 K100RS to my garage. Ive been riding an '87 R80 with an RT final drive. I love the bike, but my eye has been drifting toward this K bike. So, loyal K bike riders. How much do you love/hate your bikes? Thanks in advance!

As a dedicated Airhead ('76 R90/6, '81 R100, plus a long history of Brit bikes and a few Harleys), a "K" bike was the bike I swore I'd never own.... too many cylinders, pressurized fuel system, too much electronic circuitry, radiators, plastic bodywork, and I couldn't get it in black.

To make a long story short- I ended up with one and now it's the bike I'll never sell.

I repainted it black.

Viejo

I was in the same place, love airheads for the simplicity, still do. The K bikes were too complicated for me i thought. Now that I've owned this '93 k75 for a couple of years I'm rethinking that. It's a very low mile example that was stored indoors in California, so no corrosion. Everything works currently, I did replace the fuel pump, and do basic service and tires, nothing else. It might sound weird, and I can't quite quantify it, but the K75 is almost too smooth, like an electric motor, I know crazy. I just don't have the same connection to it like i do with the airheads. But make no mistake it's a very competent motorbike, and I think i would miss it if I sold it. I really like triples of all flavors, be it 2 stroke Suzuki's of yesteryear, or modern 4 stroke triples of today. I like the configuration of the K75 too, for valve service and the like. I like my r75 over the r100 too, very smooth, the r100 not as much, that's why I sold my r100r. I'm looking for a r80 i think next, when i find a nice one with a mono lever driveshaft,or a 2 shocker, I'm not a fan of the para lever. cheers. K75_090.jpg

Last edited:
I have an opportunity to add a '92 K100RS to my garage. Ive been riding an '87 R80 with an RT final drive. I love the bike, but my eye has been drifting toward this K bike. So, loyal K bike riders. How much do you love/hate your bikes? Thanks in advance!

I think they are hugely underrated bikes. But that's good as it keeps the prices down, unlike the current fad: airheads. When you get past the usual insults of they aren't "real BMWs" or they have no "soul" you see how very practical they are. Smoother than any airhead every built,and one of the most durable and reliable engine designs out there. Liquid cooled for sitting in traffic, ( the dread of airhead owners.) Very quiet. The engine separate from the frame for much easier major maintenance jobs like clutch work (see spline lubes on oilheads).

I had a K75RT. It had sat for five years. I rebuilt the fuel tank systems( pump, etc.) It started up instantly. Unfortunately, it was just too hot for summer riding, something everyone agreed on. Which might be one of the few detriments to the k bikes. A k1100 I rode once seemed the same. I'm now working to restore a K75S, which I regard as one of the nicest looking bikes BMW ever made. I'm not looking forward to the idea that I will need to keep both it and my trusty R1100RT but it's hard to think of parting with either bike. I guess I will always have a thing for the K75 bikes. Just too good of a design.

I was in the same place, love airheads for the simplicity, still do. The K bikes were too complicated for me i thought. Now that I've owned this '93 k75 for a couple of years I'm rethinking that. It's a very low mile example that was stored indoors in California, so no corrosion. Everything works currently, I did replace the fuel pump, and do basic service and tires, nothing else. It might sound weird, and I can't quite quantify it, but the K75 is almost too smooth, like an electric motor, I know crazy. I just don't have the same connection to it like i do with the airheads. But make no mistake it's a very competent motorbike, and I think i would miss it if I sold it. I really like triples of all flavors, be it 2 stroke Suzuki's of yesteryear, or modern 4 stroke triples of today. I like the configuration of the K75 too, for valve service and the like. I like my r75 over the r100 too, very smooth, the r100 not as much, that's why I sold my r100r. I'm looking for a r80 i think next, when i find a nice one with a mono lever driveshaft,or a 2 shocker, I'm not a fan of the para lever. cheers. View attachment 75444

That K75 is sexy.

Comparing K bikes to R bikes (especially Airheads) is pretty much an apples to oranges comparison..... I have both and they are two different experiences in almost all respects.

Aside from the obvious difference between the engines the primary difference between a K and an R is in the weight distribution. (Note: my experience with K bikes is almost exclusive K1200s, virtually no time on K75s which, I am told, are much better balanced/behaved at low to moderate speeds). My R bikes (1976 R90/6... sadly sold a few years ago, and my current 1981 R100) were/are beautifully balanced at low to moderate speeds. Even steering lock turns at parking lot speeds didn't/don't always necessitate coming off the pegs.... on the 2003 K1200RS I have considered taking out a special insurance rider for speeds less than 30mph. The CG of the K1200 is considerable higher and farther forward than on the R bikes which gives it a tendency to dive into hard turns at low speed; I am usually off the pegs at anything less than 10mph. Slow rolling up to a stop in a perfectly straight line on the R bikes was never a problem, on the K bike it's a wish only seldom granted.

However.... once the K is rolling it's a whole different animal. Between about 30mph and 80 mph the K rides/tracks/handles quite nicely for a 600lb+ machine. Over 80mph the aerodynamics of the fairing come into full play, the bike plants itself solidly, and questions of socially responsible riding begin to present themselves. While the LT and GT models were designed for comfortable extended touring the RS was designed to go fast (although I was surprised by the rider ergonomics after my first 700+ mile day; certainly not as comfortable as my R bikes but not as uncomfortable as most sport bikes. I'm 6' tall and initially found the peg placement a bit high on the RS but it doesn't really bother me anymore.)

Now, if you enjoy enjoy wrenching on your bike(s) the K will leave you high and dry unless you have a fairly well equipped shop. Anything past routine maintenance requires a slew of special tools which BMW doesn't really want you to possess (although they are available for a price) and proprietary diagnostic equipment which BMW really doesn't want you to possess.... in many cases these tools are not even "owned" by an authorized BMW dealer but rather "provided" by BMW with the understanding that they revert to BMW if the dealer loses their franchise for any reason. NOTE: this is dated information and I would appreciate correction/updating if this is no longer correct in any way

The only satisfactory solution to this dilemma is have (at least) one of each.

I have no idea who does or doesn't won the dealership tools, but I'll counter the "high and dry" comment on the wrenchability of the K12s.

I've replaced the clutches on several K12RSs due to rear main leaks. Replaced and rebuild a couple of final drives, and bled a good number of the whizzy brake systems. I don't have any fancy factory tools, just a good set of mostly old Craftsman, and a willingness to get creative when needed.

If your baseline is wrenching an airhead, or even an 80's vintage K, the later K12s can be intimidating. But to me the issue is not about diagnostics and special tooling, it's about the density of the packaging and all the crap you have to disconnect (and hopefully reconnect properly) to get at what needs to be worked on. With You Tube videos on how to do everything, and the ease of taking pix to record how all the bits are organized, there isn't a lot that can't be done in your garage if you're game.

Do-it-yourself ability is, to me, getting more important. The value of these K bikes has plummeted while the cost of paying for their repairs continues to climb. If we have to write a check to the dealer for all the work they'll need as these bikes age, we'll eventually be exceeding the bikes' worth in repair costs. I think this issue often drives riders to buy newer models, figuring they'll need fewer repairs. They may, but what service they will need will be all the more difficult to perform.

I have no idea who does or doesn't won the dealership tools, but I'll counter the "high and dry" comment on the wrenchability of the K12s.

I've replaced the clutches on several K12RSs due to rear main leaks. Replaced and rebuild a couple of final drives, and bled a good number of the whizzy brake systems. I don't have any fancy factory tools, just a good set of mostly old Craftsman, and a willingness to get creative when needed.

If your baseline is wrenching an airhead, or even an 80's vintage K, the later K12s can be intimidating. But to me the issue is not about diagnostics and special tooling, it's about the density of the packaging and all the crap you have to disconnect (and hopefully reconnect properly) to get at what needs to be worked on. With You Tube videos on how to do everything, and the ease of taking pix to record how all the bits are organized, there isn't a lot that can't be done in your garage if you're game.

Do-it-yourself ability is, to me, getting more important. The value of these K bikes has plummeted while the cost of paying for their repairs continues to climb. If we have to write a check to the dealer for all the work they'll need as these bikes age, we'll eventually be exceeding the bikes' worth in repair costs. I think this issue often drives riders to buy newer models, figuring they'll need fewer repairs. They may, but what service they will need will be all the more difficult to perform.

Hola Jeff!

Your comments are well taken and I think probably put things in better perspective than mine as to what the home wrench can do on a "K" bike with patience and the willingness to learn. However, I would say with regards to You-Tube videos....caveat emptor! If you don't already have a pretty good idea of what you should be seeing you don't really have any way to judge what you are seeing. Separating the wheat from the chaff can be daunting and that's where Forums such as this are worth their weight in gold. One of the first things I learned in the Merchant Marine was don't bang your head against a wall trying to answer a question someone else as already answered.

As you surmised, my baseline in wrenching on my own machines started in 1964 with a 1961 G12 Matchless. I made my own repair manual for that one by photographing everything with a Polaroid camera as I worked my way into the bike as needed. By the time I got to my 1976 R/90/6 that was pretty much my MO for any new (to me) motorcycle.... that and a good support group of highly motivated/poorly financed fellow riders.

As to the "density of the packaging", I think that's really my main beef with working on my "K".... getting to the job site.

Thanks for the good response.

Viejo

In writing my Benchwrenching column in the ON for 20 years I often stressed my conclusions that at least 90% of maintenance and repair is fundamental mechanics and less than 10% is model specific. Changing tires, shocks, brake pads, oil and lubricants etc is what many folks can do on virtually any model BMW.

In writing my Benchwrenching column in the ON for 20 years I often stressed my conclusions that at least 90% of maintenance and repair is fundamental mechanics and less than 10% is model specific. Changing tires, shocks, brake pads, oil and lubricants etc is what many folks can do on virtually any model BMW.

True enough, Paul.... your quote from Bertrand Russell is especially germane.

Back