• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

My Ownership and Mods Thread - 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

So I have reached the 600 miles mark... thinking of having the dealer perform the 1st service and do an oil change... cost of the service is around US$325.00

Or should I use that money to get the GS911 WIFI (OBD-II) / Enthusiast Version - Diagnostic Tool for BMW Motorcycles now and do the service myself? :scratch

I already have the oil, oil filter, and crush washer at home...

Is there anything done during the first service that can only be done at the dealer? Or should I stick with the plan, have the dealer perform the first and then get the tool and do the rest of the services myself?? :dunno

Well... cancelled the appointment and ordered the diag tool. Should be here tomorrow and will do the service myself on Sunday.

Also ordered the DEWALT 1/2" Drive Impact Socket 6PT 34MM that was recommended.

I should have a wrench for removing the oil filter...

On the other forum it was suggested to check steering head bearing adjustment, put a wrench on every fastener to be sure nothing is loose, to spin the wheels and check for trueness as well as loose spokes, and to check chain tension.

I can do that...

Since I will be doing the service myself, I went ahead and ordered the following:

GS911 WIFI (OBD-II) / Enthusiast Version - Diagnostic Tool for BMW Motorcycles
DEWALT 1/2" Drive Impact Socket 6PT 34MM
Motorcycle Chain Monkey, Chain Tension Setting Tool by Tru-Tension
Motion Pro Chain Tension Tool Slack Setter Pro 08-0674

If there are any "must have" tools, please do share. I have tools that I used in my previous bikes, so good with bearing removal/install tools, tire changing tools... These, above, I did not have.

I have not been able to find a Workshop Manual for this bike. Seems it is not yet available from BMW. That is something that I want to get as well.

FYI...Considering what you have invested thus far and what you'll no doubt be adding, you do realize you could have had an electric Harley "Livewire"...just kidding! Have your dealer do first service, Yes, it is a rip price wise for what is done, but let them have the liability of all fasteners and the like being correctly torqued and thus documented. Take in your own filter and even oil if you already have it and save a little. Then buy that code finder and see if it shows (or doesn't) the same as what BMW's $10,000 computer showed. Than you'll have a good base line. Do it all now, before the thrill runs out and you start thinking, WOW...did I need all this stuff? That happens a lot. Safe riding.

FYI...Considering what you have invested thus far and what you'll no doubt be adding, you do realize you could have had an electric Harley "Livewire"...just kidding! Have your dealer do first service, Yes, it is a rip price wise for what is done, but let them have the liability of all fasteners and the like being correctly torqued and thus documented. Take in your own filter and even oil if you already have it and save a little. Then buy that code finder and see if it shows (or doesn't) the same as what BMW's $10,000 computer showed. Than you'll have a good base line. Do it all now, before the thrill runs out and you start thinking, WOW...did I need all this stuff? That happens a lot. Safe riding.

Love the looks of the Harley Livewire... but not a practical bike by any means. I switched from a Triumph for the additional range and carrying capacity.

I thought about going back to a new Road Glide or Gold Wing.. but on the Road Glide, I have been reading too many problems with oil issues on the new engines, seems engine oil finds its way into the primary case (this is only happening in the touring bikes)... plus those sucker run hot as heck, I just did not wanted to go back to that.

The Gold Wing on the other hand, man, the new bike looks amazing (this is coming from someone that promised never to get one)...but did not even bother to go ride one because they seem huge!! Well, I was riding all weekend behind one. I kid you not, I might end up with one in a few years... very impressed with it and not as huge in real life as I thought. Really like the new lines of it.

Anyway, back to my bike... too late on the tools... all arrived today.

I was missing the 74mm 14 flute oil filter wrench but was able to get it at the local auto parts store just now...

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9800.jpg

Last edited:
Well... got distracted redoing the mount for the toolbox with the material I had. It now sits more towards the rear and higher. Not sure why it looks in the photos like it is touching the suspension... it is not. All installed, tighten, and tools in the box. :thumb

Could not get to changing the oil and resetting the service message since it started to rain... will do that first thing tomorrow morning.

How the support ended up... notice the shaved bottom clamps...

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

And here is the reason for shaving the rubber on the outside of the bottom clamps.

IMG_9807.jpg

A few more photos...

IMG_9804.jpg

IMG_9805.jpg

All set and ready to go... oil change to be done tomorrow...

IMG_9806.jpg

Oil change done...

T50 for the outside plug

IMG_9809.jpg

Stock filter was a pita to remove without the proper tool... glad the new one is 14 flutes and I have the wrench for it.

IMG_9812.jpg

For the inside plug (item 11 in the diagram)

BMW-Sump.jpg

In a thread I read they mentioned using a 5mm Hex(Allen) wrench/bit... that is what I used, but the correct tool seems to be a T35 bit... the Torx kit I had went from T30 to T40 so I need to get a T35 to add to the motorcycle toolbox.

IMG_9814.jpg

A lot of oil came out when I removed that inside plug, so a must to remove during an oil change... and this was with the bike sitting overnight before the oil change today... does not look like it drains on its own over time...

IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9815.jpg

Local dealer gave me 4 instead of 3L of oil... bike only took 3L as documented in the user manual.

IMG_9816.jpg

Also took the opportunity to install the side stand base enlarger... had to file/grind some of the weld for it to fit correctly...

IMG_9817.jpg

Painted all semi-gloss again...

IMG_9818.jpg

Installed

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9821.jpg

This outside and inside plug is new to me. I haven't seen an 850 yet but was thinking it was a variation of my F800GS engine. Guess not :)

Next oil change I will get the oil filter cup. It will make it easier.

Great documentation :thumb

OM

This outside and inside plug is new to me. I haven't seen an 850 yet but was thinking it was a variation of my F800GS engine. Guess not :)

Next oil change I will get the oil filter cup. It will make it easier.

Great documentation :thumb

OM

Yeah, had it not be mentioned elsewhere I would have had a hard time figuring out why only two liters came out and not three... that plug does not have a crush washer. And install by hand to avoid cross threading...then use the wrench to tighten down.

On the oil filter:

The one that came with the bike from the factory is different from anything I had seen... I tried several different oil wrenches that I had and nothing worked. I ended up using some large pliers to slowly turn it until in came out...

The new filter I got at the dealer is 74mm with 14 flat flutes. The wrench for that I was able to find at the local autozone.

I will make sure to order online additional factory filters like the one I got at the dealer... I do not want to mess with the one that came from the factory...

They both have the same Mahle part number (517504-10) but different BMW part numbers:

The new one I got: 1142 7 721 779-02
The one that came with the bike: 1142 7 673 541-02

Anyway... I will not be ordering any of those and will stick with the ones that have 14 flat sides... :)

Also did the service message reset, checked for any error codes... all fine... And checked the chain tension... all good there as well.

Went over every nut and bolt that I could reach. All good there. The only thing that I hate about this bike is how easy the rear wheel gets dirty and what a PITA is to clean... I am giving up on trying to keep it clean... forget about it!! :banghead

IMG_9822.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to try to install the mount from eBay. Sorry to say that it does not work with the GSA adjustable windscreen mount...

IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg

Here you can see how it interferes with the adjustable mechanism:

IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg

Without the adjustable mount... yeah, it can work, but not with it...

IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg

I need to go back to building a mount myself...

Great thread Wachuco. I purchased a new Lupin Blue F850GSA and took delivery 8 August. I only had the 8th and 9th on it and won't see it again until 6 October when I'll try and put 240 or so more miles on it and then it goes in for first Service on the 7th. From there, I'll be running it from Ft. Lauderdale up to my summer storage in Asheville. From there, towards the end of the month, I'll be running it down to Tallahassee, where I'll be able to get 2-3 trips on it over the winter months. I purchased the low suspension/low seat model and I'm 5' 6 1/2". I just could not do the standard suspension. I also purchased the larger touring windscreen. The bike came with the BMW led lights but they're pretty weak compared to the Clearwater's so I purchased those and they're installed to the crash bars. I've got the BMW headlight protector, the Touratech 35mm risers (short arms as well as short legs!), and the Givi 15l tank bag waiting at the dealer to install when I get the service done. I also had the sidestand larger foot installed. The low suspension doesn't come with a center stand so I ordered one and had my dealer cut it down 2" to fit and it works well. Can't imagine having a bike without center stand. All in all my dealer is great, a small family run operation in Ft. Lauderdale. Here is a pic of "Blue":

rightFront.jpg

I also had extra hand guard protectors installed for greater protection, as well as the BMW heavy duty skid plate. I really am anxious for Touratech, or anyone to come out with upper protection bars to compliment the stock lower bars, as I'm planning a lot of running in the dirt, and will be dropping the bike. The more protection the better. As you've found out, the F850GSA has basically just come out so it's hard to find functional farkles but as Touratech and Wunderlich ramp up hopefully they'll come out with those upper bars.

I see you haven't posted since 30 August but I hope you'll continue posting as you improve your F850GSA. I for one, will be interested in reading your updates.

Scotty

Great thread Wachuko... I purchased the low suspension/low seat model and I'm 5' 6 1/2". I just could not do the standard suspension. I also purchased the larger touring windscreen...

...I see you haven't posted since 30 August but I hope you'll continue posting as you improve your F850GSA. I for one, will be interested in reading your updates.

Scotty

Scotty,

All good. Just work related travel that has me out for a few weeks... then on October 4 I get on the bike and we head out from FL to CA and back...

I am as tall as you :). No wonder I am having a challenging time taming this wild beast...mine has the normal suspension and standard seat :(

Your work and where I live conspire to keep us off the bikes! Bike is in Ft. Lauderdale now, and as said previously, will be moving it up to Asheville then Tallahassee for winter. Used to keep it in Ft. Lauderdale, easy flight to Miami then tri-rail up to Ft. Lauderdale but it's just too hot and I've been running in the heat for years and tired of it. North Florida is nice in the winter, and I usually attend the BMWNEF rally in January, and last year was the 1st MOA Getaway at Orange Beach and that was fun.

Frankly, after riding around the country for 20+ years, it is hard to beat Appalachia for curves, dirt and friendly people. It's the best riding in the world in my humble....just my .02

I'll post after my next service and my run up to AVL to comment on the risers, headlight shield and Givi. I have the tank ring mounted Givi on my '18 RT though, and it is a great piece of gear. If you try one you'll find they're indispensable for the items you need close to hand while you're kickin' up the dirt or otherwise going from A to B, which ever way you prefer it.

Scotty

Horn

View attachment 75039

Horn arrived today as well.

Also, I forgot I had given my tire plug kit to a friend (my previous bike had tube tires so I could not use it)... so I had ordered a new kit.

View attachment 75041

Horn installed in the same location as the stock unit.

View attachment 75042

New one in place. The additional harness made it an easy install to the stock connector.

Hey Wachuco:

I'm looking at the Denali horn for the 850. You were able to fit it in place of the stock horn with the hardware that comes with the horn and the extra connector that connects to the BMW connector and has the female spades to hook on to the Denali?

I'm thinking seriously of getting that.,

Let me know,

Scotty

View attachment 75043[/QUOTE]

Hey Wachuko:

I'm looking at the Denali horn for the 850. You were able to fit it in place of the stock horn with the hardware that comes with the horn and the extra connector that connects to the BMW connector and has the female spades to hook on to the Denali?

I'm thinking seriously of getting that.,

Let me know,

Scotty

Scotty,

Correct... :thumb Here is the link from where I got both items:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-soundbomb-mini-electromagnetic-low-tone-motorcycle-horn

attachment.php

Orlando, FL to San Diego, CA trip underway!!!

At Monument Valley State Park... stayed here last night and now on my way to the Grand Canyon...

7FFB53C1-603B-4329-9BAB-52E8FD6F09E0.jpeg

Back