Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My Ownership and Mods Thread - 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Great looking bike! And some very nice mods so far. Am considering an 850 GSA for a CDT ride we are considering.

First time out on a camping trip... this was just to test everything out. Went out Saturday morning under rain... half way to the destination it finally stopped and Florida heat took over...

Heading out.jpg

Before heading out.JPG

I took pretty much everything I will take on the long trip, including the cooking utensils

IMG_9722.jpg

Camping site:

IMG_9741.JPG

One more... I had already setup camp and was on the bike taking the photo...

IMG_9739.jpg

And night time ready to call it a day...

Tent set for the night.JPG

Also, when I got home, this was waiting for me. Toolbox came in... I have to make a bracket for it. But testing loading all the tools I carry, and it works great. That will empty some needed space from the side bags. Only thing I could not fit inside was the First Aid kit... that stays in the side pannier.

IMG_9742.jpg
    IMG_9743.jpg

So a couple of things I gather from this trip...

• Yeah, that tank bag would have come in handy... to put away the keys, a flash light for easy/fast access, gloves, baseball cap, deep woods bug spray (small aerosol canister), sunscreen for the neck area, stand puck (that I could not find before heading out), etc. It would have avoided having to open the panniers for those frequently used items. And now thinking about it, it would have been great to have the other lights stored inside while charging from the bike while riding. I did not have the need this time around because it was only one night camping, for the multiple sites we will be going, it will be good to charge them while I ride to the next camp site.
    • I am still taming this wild beast... meaning that I need to get a seat that will lower me more or look for what it is required to install the factory lowering kit... I struggled in the sand and uneven dirt areas. At the campsite I managed to lay it on its side twice when turning around in a tight spot... part inexperience combined with the sand, and I forgot to set the suspension back to ROAD to get it lower... good thing is that it was at a slow motion setting and on sand and grass so only my ego/pride got bruised. Nothing on the bike suffered... yeah, twice, the second time was immediately after. All me again due to getting target fixation on the other sand dune (a few feet away) I wanted to avoid
    • Always have a stand puck... forgot where I had mine stored mine and at the last minute I just threw in the bags an old license plate... that worked fine, but I need to find (or get a new one) a stand puck... I think that even the stand base I ordered would have not been enough... ground at campsite was too soft...
    • I need to add a fan to the camping accessories that I have... it was a sauna inside the tent even with the rain fly off... nothing worked. I ended up taking the towel out and placing it over the mat and sleeping bag and sleeping over that... must have lost 3lbs last night,
    • Forgot the ear plugs... mother nature can be loud
    • Can't have enough bungee cords... must get a few more. Specially when stuff that used to fit in one bag now takes two
    • I have not figured out the order to pair the Cardo Bold headset with the rest of the system... I can hear the phone and music... can't hear the Navigation
    • One of the locks for the panniers came off while locking it... need to take it in for warranty replacement.
    • Completed the break-in miles. Since I need to take it in for the lock that came off, will have them perform the service and do an oil change... after that I will be buying the reader and doing the stuff myself
    • Still need to work on storage organization... ...specially for a 15 day trip... still unsure if I should get the rear trunk or if I can manage with what I have...
    • Got to find a location for installing the helmet lock that I have... or follow the recommendation here and just get one of those cables with a lock in them... Either way, I have to find a solution that works as I do not want to be carrying the helmet with me every time I am away from the bike.
    • I have to get a soft and long brush to clean the wheels... what a PITA cleaning those is...

Bike clean again and at the neighbor's garage (have I told you what a great neighbor I have!!?). That is all for tonight. Take care!

IMG_9744.jpg
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko
    2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    I also made the improved tool box bracket from 14 ga stainless. Much nicer than the scrap aluminum one.

Ed,

Do you mind sharing what clamps you used to secure the bracket? I want to see if I can get the material/parts to do this over the weekend.
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

They're just 5/8" stainless cable clamps. I removed the ruber insulation to make them less bulky and look better.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

They're just 5/8" stainless cable clamps. I removed the ruber insulation to make them less bulky and look better.
    Thank you. Installed... had to go a different route due to how this toolbox is shaped and where the supports are. Had to drill those two center holes... Lowes only had zinc plated clamps so I ordered stainless steel ones from Amazon (and will replace when those arrive). Center piece is a 1/8" thick x 2" wide aluminum stock (forgot to measure the length)...

IMG_9747.jpg

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9754.jpg

The bag straps also came in (need to look at the photo to see how the heck these are installed)...along with the stand base...that base, the plate that secures it will need a bit of modification to fit properly...

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

That is all for now...
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Tool box looks good. I actually ended up getting the clamps from Amazon too. I bought a variety pack with multiple sizes as they are nice to have on hand anyway. It looks like you should be OK, but just make sure there is enough room for the chain guard to clear at full suspension travel if you hadn't calculated on that. I estimated that the bottom of the pannier rack was about the extent of travel. Your tool box is larger than the Givi one I used, but appears to be OK as you have it.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Tool box looks good. I actually ended up getting the clamps from Amazon too. I bought a variety pack with multiple sizes as they are nice to have on hand anyway. It looks like you should be OK, but just make sure there is enough room for the chain guard to clear at full suspension travel if you hadn't calculated on that. I estimated that the bottom of the pannier rack was about the extent of travel. Your tool box is larger than the Givi one I used, but appears to be OK as you have it.
    Ed,

I did not check for that clearance... but I think it should be good. I will keep an eye on the first test ride to make sure. Thank you for pointing that out.

I do have to remove it again to fill the unused holes that it has for the different mount options... I am just going to install rivets in those to match those already in place. I also want to put some sealant in the seams to minimize water getting in... Thinking of just placing everything inside a weatherproof liner because, even if I seal all the seams, I doubt that I can make the rear cover weatherproof...

Just happy to be able to remove all that stuff from the pannier...
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Very happy to report that my lock, the one that came off during the trip (and by that I mean, the one that I pulled out by mistake due to ignorance ), was complete... nothing missing.

Looking at the instructions last night I was able to confirm that everything was there. And by pure luck, I never removed the key until wrapping the cylinder with tape... so nothing went off flying in the night.

With the instructions in hand, I was able to install it back myself and it is working as expected . What a relief. I am now much wiser on this part and will treat it kindly knowing now how delicate these are.

IMG_9761.jpg

I had ordered a visor and screen protector... that arrived and now installed. There was really no need for the visor. After that first trip to St. Augustine, it was clear that this screen looks great no matter how bright it is outside. But, since I had already ordered it, on the bike it went... Not too pleased with the protector... the factory look of the screen is matte and this gives it a glossy finish... will see how it works out...

IMG_9762.jpg

Grips Buddies also arrived. Perfect thickness for my hands. So much better now...

IMG_9763.jpg

Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Replaced the zinc plated clamps for stainless steel clamps. Had to use the rubber covers since without them they were loose.

Also measured the clearance. I should be fine for now for road use, but I will not risk it on the longer run. I want to make sure I do not impact available travel of the suspension with this box. So I will be redoing the mount. It will allow me to install it more towards the back and higher. Just for peace of mind. I just need to take time to go to the local shop that sells the material cut to size.

IMG_9764.jpg

IMG_9765.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

IMG_9769.jpg

IMG_9770.jpg

Also installed the pannier carrying straps. Not too impressed with these. Would be good to see the BMW branded ones to compare...but they stay for now... easier to remove and install the panniers with them.

IMG_9771.jpg
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Windscreen came in. All you need is a Torx 25 (T25) wrench to remove/replace.

Part number: 46638569664
    Description: TOURING WINDSCREEN CLEAR

So you can get an idea of size difference... photo is the new one on top of the standard windscreen with the mounting holes aligned...

IMG_9774.jpg

Side by side

IMG_9776.jpg

Stock

IMG_9778.jpg

Removing metal and rubber inserts

IMG_9779.jpg

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9781.jpg

Now those installed in the new one

IMG_9782.jpg

New one installed on the bike

IMG_9783.jpg

IMG_9784.jpg
    Last edited by wachuko; 08-09-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added part number
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Question

So I have reached the 600 miles mark... thinking of having the dealer perform the 1st service and do an oil change... cost of the service is around US$325.00

Or should I use that money to get the GS911 WIFI (OBD-II) / Enthusiast Version - Diagnostic Tool for BMW Motorcycles now and do the service myself?

I already have the oil, oil filter, and crush washer at home...

Is there anything done during the first service that can only be done at the dealer? Or should I stick with the plan, have the dealer perform the first and then get the tool and do the rest of the services myself??
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Well... cancelled the appointment and ordered the diag tool. Should be here tomorrow and will do the service myself on Sunday.

Also ordered the DEWALT 1/2" Drive Impact Socket 6PT 34MM that was recommended.

I should have a wrench for removing the oil filter...

On the other forum it was suggested to check steering head bearing adjustment, put a wrench on every fastener to be sure nothing is loose, to spin the wheels and check for trueness as well as loose spokes, and to check chain tension.

I can do that...
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Since I will be doing the service myself, I went ahead and ordered the following:

GS911 WIFI (OBD-II) / Enthusiast Version - Diagnostic Tool for BMW Motorcycles
    DEWALT 1/2" Drive Impact Socket 6PT 34MM
    Motorcycle Chain Monkey, Chain Tension Setting Tool by Tru-Tension
    Motion Pro Chain Tension Tool Slack Setter Pro 08-0674

If there are any "must have" tools, please do share. I have tools that I used in my previous bikes, so good with bearing removal/install tools, tire changing tools... These, above, I did not have.

I have not been able to find a Workshop Manual for this bike. Seems it is not yet available from BMW. That is something that I want to get as well.
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

FYI...Considering what you have invested thus far and what you'll no doubt be adding, you do realize you could have had an electric Harley "Livewire"...just kidding! Have your dealer do first service, Yes, it is a rip price wise for what is done, but let them have the liability of all fasteners and the like being correctly torqued and thus documented. Take in your own filter and even oil if you already have it and save a little. Then buy that code finder and see if it shows (or doesn't) the same as what BMW's $10,000 computer showed. Than you'll have a good base line. Do it all now, before the thrill runs out and you start thinking, WOW...did I need all this stuff? That happens a lot. Safe riding.
    F850GSA

MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    FYI...Considering what you have invested thus far and what you'll no doubt be adding, you do realize you could have had an electric Harley "Livewire"...just kidding! Have your dealer do first service, Yes, it is a rip price wise for what is done, but let them have the liability of all fasteners and the like being correctly torqued and thus documented. Take in your own filter and even oil if you already have it and save a little. Then buy that code finder and see if it shows (or doesn't) the same as what BMW's $10,000 computer showed. Than you'll have a good base line. Do it all now, before the thrill runs out and you start thinking, WOW...did I need all this stuff? That happens a lot. Safe riding.
    Love the looks of the Harley Livewire... but not a practical bike by any means. I switched from a Triumph for the additional range and carrying capacity.

I thought about going back to a new Road Glide or Gold Wing.. but on the Road Glide, I have been reading too many problems with oil issues on the new engines, seems engine oil finds its way into the primary case (this is only happening in the touring bikes)... plus those sucker run hot as heck, I just did not wanted to go back to that.

The Gold Wing on the other hand, man, the new bike looks amazing (this is coming from someone that promised never to get one)...but did not even bother to go ride one because they seem huge!! Well, I was riding all weekend behind one. I kid you not, I might end up with one in a few years... very impressed with it and not as huge in real life as I thought. Really like the new lines of it.

Anyway, back to my bike... too late on the tools... all arrived today.

I was missing the 74mm 14 flute oil filter wrench but was able to get it at the local auto parts store just now...

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9800.jpg
    Last edited by wachuko; 08-10-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko