• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My Ownership and Mods Thread - 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

I added the grip covers onto mine right away. I've used them for years to improve the size of the gips for my large hands. I even had a spare set on hand to use.

For a tank bag I went with an SW Motech bag with the lock ring on the filler as I wanted to avoid straps and the paint scuffing. I chose the Daypack as I don't need a large bag and don't like it getting in my way. It's large enough to toss in the cell phone and a few other small items.

Thank you for the additional feedback on the grips. I placed the order for those a few minutes ago :thumb

On the tank bag... I have never had the need for one... looking at them only based on the recommendations from folks here. Not a priority for me right now. Will see after the first trip if I see the need for one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Looking at the SW Motech, if I get one, it will be one with map insert. The smallest one I see with that option is the Sport (SW-MOTECH EVO Sport QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag). It uses the Type 306 mount for our bikes... that is US310.00 for the set... yeah, not priority right now...

Also the Givi 15 liter looks like a good option... US$211.00 with the adapter...

I am more incline to go with the SW-Motech as I have had very good experience with that brand in my Triumph...

Last edited:
I got my AltRider headlight guard fitted with new custom brackets.

View attachment 75008

Copy of IMG_20190729_145816_resize.jpg

Copy of IMG_20190729_145823_resize.jpg

I also made the improved tool box bracket from 14 ga stainless. Much nicer than the srcap aluminum one.

Copy of IMG_20190729_153131_resize.jpg

Also finally got these case lid protection films I'd ordered a few weeks ago.

Copy of IMG_20190729_153156_resize.jpg

Yes, that's the ones. Not overly thick, but mainly wanted to keep the aluminum from rubbing and blackening bags on top of the lids. They were reasonable in cost, so if they don't end up holding up, not a big deal. They do look nice and were easy to put on.

Yes, that's the ones. Not overly thick, but mainly wanted to keep the aluminum from rubbing and blackening bags on top of the lids. They were reasonable in cost, so if they don't end up holding up, not a big deal. They do look nice and were easy to put on.

Thank you. I will order a set. :thumb

On other news, windscreen arrived at the dealer. Picked it up and went to install it, only to find out that they ordered the same one I have :huh ... so back to the dealer tomorrow to get them to order the correct one.

Screens.jpg

Looking at the UK catalog I found that there is a factory headlight guard for the 850 GSA... Dealer looked it up... US$179.00 but he is showing in the system no availability for a few months... I will eventually change what I have for that one... like the looks and fit better than what I have now...

Headlight Guard.jpg

Horn arrived today as well.

Also, I forgot I had given my tire plug kit to a friend (my previous bike had tube tires so I could not use it)... so I had ordered a new kit.

IMG_9708.jpg

Horn installed in the same location as the stock unit.

IMG_9709.jpg

New one in place. The additional harness made it an easy install to the stock connector.

IMG_9710.jpg

Are you putting any mileage on that bike?:dance

Working long hours, not much time to play... bike only has 400 miles.

If all goes well I will be riding this weekend to St. Augustine and camp there... I know it is not a long ride but the purpose of the trip is to test the camping equipment that I have and see if I am missing anything... all this in preparation for the trip East Coast-West Coast-East Coast in October. Best to figured all this out close to home and not thousands of miles away...

A bit puzzled... Called the dealer and they are telling me that the windscreen they ordered IS the large one... so my bike had the large windscreen all along? :scratch

They verified the part number with what was ordered... if this is the large version, what does the small one, that is supposed to come with the Rally package that I got, looks like?? No sense in arguing with them... it is what it is. But I need a taller one. Will install some nylon washers on the top mounting bolts,as suggested elsewhere, to change the angle a bit. That will keep me good for now, but I really need to see if I can order the Touring version from BMW in the UK... from the description it should be what I am looking for:

The tinted touring windshield is approx. 80 mm higher
and 30 mm wider than the standard windshield and
therefore offers noticeably improved wind and weather
protection as well as greater overall touring comfort

Stopped by the dealer, they called BMW Motorrad USA and were able to order the Touring Windscreen :dance ... they were not sure why those were not available in the USA as there seems to be no DOT restrictions on them...

Part number: 46638569664
Description: TOURING WINDSCREEN CLEAR

I will share side by side photos once it gets here.

Last edited:
Great looking bike! And some very nice mods so far. Am considering an 850 GSA for a CDT ride we are considering. :thumb

First time out on a camping trip... this was just to test everything out. Went out Saturday morning under rain... half way to the destination it finally stopped and Florida heat took over...

Heading out.jpg

Before heading out.JPG

I took pretty much everything I will take on the long trip, including the cooking utensils

IMG_9722.jpg

Camping site:

IMG_9741.JPG

One more... I had already setup camp and was on the bike taking the photo...

IMG_9739.jpg

And night time ready to call it a day...

Tent set for the night.JPG

Also, when I got home, this was waiting for me. Toolbox came in... I have to make a bracket for it. But testing loading all the tools I carry, and it works great. That will empty some needed space from the side bags. Only thing I could not fit inside was the First Aid kit... that stays in the side pannier.

IMG_9742.jpg
IMG_9743.jpg

So a couple of things I gather from this trip...

• Yeah, that tank bag would have come in handy... to put away the keys, a flash light for easy/fast access, gloves, baseball cap, deep woods bug spray (small aerosol canister), sunscreen for the neck area, stand puck (that I could not find before heading out), etc. It would have avoided having to open the panniers for those frequently used items. And now thinking about it, it would have been great to have the other lights stored inside while charging from the bike while riding. I did not have the need this time around because it was only one night camping, for the multiple sites we will be going, it will be good to charge them while I ride to the next camp site.
  • I am still taming this wild beast... meaning that I need to get a seat that will lower me more or look for what it is required to install the factory lowering kit... I struggled in the sand and uneven dirt areas. At the campsite I managed to lay it on its side twice when turning around in a tight spot... part inexperience combined with the sand, and I forgot to set the suspension back to ROAD to get it lower... good thing is that it was at a slow motion setting and on sand and grass so only my ego/pride got bruised. Nothing on the bike suffered... yeah, twice, the second time was immediately after. All me again due to getting target fixation on the other sand dune (a few feet away) I wanted to avoid :banghead
  • Always have a stand puck... forgot where I had mine stored mine and at the last minute I just threw in the bags an old license plate... that worked fine, but I need to find (or get a new one) a stand puck... I think that even the stand base I ordered would have not been enough... ground at campsite was too soft...
  • I need to add a fan to the camping accessories that I have... it was a sauna inside the tent even with the rain fly off... nothing worked. I ended up taking the towel out and placing it over the mat and sleeping bag and sleeping over that... must have lost 3lbs last night, :lol
  • Forgot the ear plugs... mother nature can be loud
  • Can't have enough bungee cords... must get a few more. Specially when stuff that used to fit in one bag now takes two :rolleyes
  • I have not figured out the order to pair the Cardo Bold headset with the rest of the system... I can hear the phone and music... can't hear the Navigation
  • One of the locks for the panniers came off while locking it... need to take it in for warranty replacement.
  • Completed the break-in miles. Since I need to take it in for the lock that came off, will have them perform the service and do an oil change... after that I will be buying the reader and doing the stuff myself
  • Still need to work on storage organization... ...specially for a 15 day trip... still unsure if I should get the rear trunk or if I can manage with what I have...
  • Got to find a location for installing the helmet lock that I have... or follow the recommendation here and just get one of those cables with a lock in them... Either way, I have to find a solution that works as I do not want to be carrying the helmet with me every time I am away from the bike.
  • I have to get a soft and long brush to clean the wheels... what a PITA cleaning those is... :scratch

Bike clean again and at the neighbor's garage (have I told you what a great neighbor I have!!?). That is all for tonight. Take care!

IMG_9744.jpg

I also made the improved tool box bracket from 14 ga stainless. Much nicer than the scrap aluminum one.

attachment.php

Ed,

Do you mind sharing what clamps you used to secure the bracket? I want to see if I can get the material/parts to do this over the weekend. :thumb

They're just 5/8" stainless cable clamps. I removed the ruber insulation to make them less bulky and look better.

They're just 5/8" stainless cable clamps. I removed the ruber insulation to make them less bulky and look better.

Thank you. Installed... had to go a different route due to how this toolbox is shaped and where the supports are. Had to drill those two center holes... Lowes only had zinc plated clamps so I ordered stainless steel ones from Amazon (and will replace when those arrive). Center piece is a 1/8" thick x 2" wide aluminum stock (forgot to measure the length)...

IMG_9747.jpg

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9754.jpg

The bag straps also came in (need to look at the photo to see how the heck these are installed)...along with the stand base...that base, the plate that secures it will need a bit of modification to fit properly...

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

That is all for now...

Tool box looks good. I actually ended up getting the clamps from Amazon too. I bought a variety pack with multiple sizes as they are nice to have on hand anyway. It looks like you should be OK, but just make sure there is enough room for the chain guard to clear at full suspension travel if you hadn't calculated on that. I estimated that the bottom of the pannier rack was about the extent of travel. Your tool box is larger than the Givi one I used, but appears to be OK as you have it.

Tool box looks good. I actually ended up getting the clamps from Amazon too. I bought a variety pack with multiple sizes as they are nice to have on hand anyway. It looks like you should be OK, but just make sure there is enough room for the chain guard to clear at full suspension travel if you hadn't calculated on that. I estimated that the bottom of the pannier rack was about the extent of travel. Your tool box is larger than the Givi one I used, but appears to be OK as you have it.

Ed,

I did not check for that clearance... but I think it should be good. I will keep an eye on the first test ride to make sure. Thank you for pointing that out. :thumb

I do have to remove it again to fill the unused holes that it has for the different mount options... I am just going to install rivets in those to match those already in place. I also want to put some sealant in the seams to minimize water getting in... Thinking of just placing everything inside a weatherproof liner because, even if I seal all the seams, I doubt that I can make the rear cover weatherproof...

Just happy to be able to remove all that stuff from the pannier...

Very happy to report that my lock, the one that came off during the trip (and by that I mean, the one that I pulled out by mistake due to ignorance :banghead ), was complete... nothing missing.

Looking at the instructions last night I was able to confirm that everything was there. And by pure luck, I never removed the key until wrapping the cylinder with tape... so nothing went off flying in the night.

With the instructions in hand, I was able to install it back myself and it is working as expected :dance . What a relief. I am now much wiser on this part and will treat it kindly knowing now how delicate these are.

IMG_9761.jpg

I had ordered a visor and screen protector... that arrived and now installed. There was really no need for the visor. After that first trip to St. Augustine, it was clear that this screen looks great no matter how bright it is outside. But, since I had already ordered it, on the bike it went... Not too pleased with the protector... the factory look of the screen is matte and this gives it a glossy finish... will see how it works out...

IMG_9762.jpg

Grips Buddies also arrived. Perfect thickness for my hands. So much better now...

IMG_9763.jpg

:wave

Replaced the zinc plated clamps for stainless steel clamps. Had to use the rubber covers since without them they were loose.

Also measured the clearance. I should be fine for now for road use, but I will not risk it on the longer run. I want to make sure I do not impact available travel of the suspension with this box. So I will be redoing the mount. It will allow me to install it more towards the back and higher. Just for peace of mind. I just need to take time to go to the local shop that sells the material cut to size.

IMG_9764.jpg

IMG_9765.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

IMG_9769.jpg

IMG_9770.jpg

Also installed the pannier carrying straps. Not too impressed with these. Would be good to see the BMW branded ones to compare...but they stay for now... easier to remove and install the panniers with them.

IMG_9771.jpg

Windscreen came in. All you need is a Torx 25 (T25) wrench to remove/replace.

Part number: 46638569664
Description: TOURING WINDSCREEN CLEAR

So you can get an idea of size difference... photo is the new one on top of the standard windscreen with the mounting holes aligned...

IMG_9774.jpg

Side by side

IMG_9776.jpg

Stock

IMG_9778.jpg

Removing metal and rubber inserts

IMG_9779.jpg

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9781.jpg

Now those installed in the new one

IMG_9782.jpg

New one installed on the bike