• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Feeling light at speed

Very interesting dialogue. Something I had not expected and truly appreciate. The tires were set at 36 F and 42 R in the morning prior to departure, but honestly I did not pay any attention afterwards.
From these comments that have been kindly provided, it’s beginning to sound like a design attribute that I’ll become accustomed to in a short while and in effect will be nothing more than getting used to the new ride.
Going in for service next week and all shall be revealed...
Brian

Given this tire pressure data, I suspect buffeting from traffic. I used to commute on the highway on a 2005 RT from New Hampshire down to Massachusetts and would feel some twitchiness/wandering mostly during the afternoon when it was a bit breezy and there was significant traffic (especially trucks).

Good Luck

I switch back and forth between a 2017 R1200 RT, a 2004 R1150RT (until recently) and an R1150GS. Without a doubt, the R1200 feels as you describe on highways with truck buffeting or gusty winds...

I just rode my new R1200RS for the first time in gusty winds and noticed this, but I thought it was my imagination. Maybe not. I'm comparing it to my R1200ST.

Fairing

Hi folks, I’m new to BMW and an ‘18 R1200RT. I’ve got around 500 miles on the clock now and last Friday took a ride up the Maine coast, hotter than blazes (106 degrees on the pike) but everything seemed fine until I got on the Maine Turnpike to head south. At speeds a bit north of 65-70 the bike seems to lighten up and feels a bit “squirrely”. I can’t say it moves around but it just feels odd and does not inspire confidence. My 09 Ducati 1100S Mulitstrada started to hunker down at these speeds and felt like it would hold the road no matter what I did. It was absolutely on rails.
Tire pressures are good, I’m riding one up, with side cases and the ESA is set to Normal and Ride Mode to Road. Moving the windscreen up or down has no apparent effect.
Has anyone encountered this before? Is it something that is a characteristic of the bike that I have to get used to? The bike will be in of service soon and I’ll speak to the dealer then and have them test ride it, but I’m wondering if this is a one off or me.

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

I’ve had many sport bikes and they all felt planted at speed; however I agree with you about the squirrelly feel. The RT1250 I have is like that at speeds over 80. Go 130 and it’s uncomfortable, i think it’s the fairing with all that protection it affords. The aerodynamics just aren’t as good as a full on sport bike.

My zx12 and 14 was very stable at 130 and more

Jerry

I am currently, for the summer, riding and touring on a G3010GS. We did the same last year. On good two-lane roads there is no twitchiness. On the Interstates with either trucks or minivans the wretched airflow off the back of these causes turbulance that is evident. Back off, or live with it. I can feel the turbulance following 6 or even 8 seconds back. Perfect following distance for another minivan or SUV to pass and get in line. Such is Interstate America which I avoid as much as possible.

Last edited:
I get that with mine too, especially out here on I-10.. lots of semis, everyone moving at 75-85mph. It starts to twitch a little about 2-300 yards back. Generally I move over and ramp it up a bit as I pass so I'm not in the wash too long. Smooths out once you're past. You get used to it and the upside is the handling is so delightful under almost all other conditions, at least for a full-on touring bike.

As I recall my 2012 camhead did much the same thing although it wasn't quite as light handling in other situations as the newer one. I'm still on the original PR4GT's at 8000 miles with decent tread left. I expect to get 10K but by then the handling will have deteriorated I'm sure.

It depends on where you are from

This year I added a 2018 R1200RT to my garage. For the past five years I have been riding a Suzuki 650 VStrom which I still own. The Suzuki is blown all over the road at highway speeds by truck wash and winds. The RT seems really planted with some buffeting. A huge difference.
My best experience with wind was on a dual sport Suzuki DR 650 for 8,000 miles in South America including Patagonia where they have 50 mph sustained winds. Hard to describe the experience. Had to stop facing into the wind.

I do not feel any "twitchyness" at any speed on either bike except in heavy traffic with trucks mixed in. I have taken both bikes to their max and they were steady as train on a rail.

I'd suspect the tire(s). I've had bad tires on a bike twice, once was on a brand new bike. Both times the bikes' symptoms were the same. Most recently, I replaced tires on my RT in anticipation of a 6,000+ mile trip. The front tire was trash from the get go, leaving the bike with a twitchy, un-planted feeling. I suffered with this over my entire trip, unable to comfortably run the 80 mph speed limits on western Interstates. Upon returning home, I replaced the trash tire (Conti RA3GT) with a nice PR4GT and restored the ride I was accustomed too.

Back