Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Feeling light at speed

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    ... As for tire pressure vs ambient temperature. Most people get it wrong. We've all heard the old saying, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and it applies to all of us. Outside of special circumstances (racing, etc.), the understood knowledge of setting your tire pressure when cold and leaving it, regardless of outside temperatures is proper.

Yes, the hot tire pressure will be noticeably higher than with lower ambient temperatures, but that is by design. A tire generates more internal heat if it is under inflated and less internal heat if it is over inflated. When I was racing we recorded both cold and hot temperatures with a proper, quality, probe-style pyrometer. If the hot temps of the tires were below optimal we would remove air. It the hot pressure was above optimal we would add air.

Virtually everyone gets this wrong. For street and highway riding, set your temperature cold (at specs or +2psi) and let your TPMS let you know if you have a leak. ...
    So if you set your tires on a 65 degree day to +2psi and a few days later go ride it on a 105 degree day (so now they're +6psi "cold") you don't need to be a racer to feel that the steering is lighter.

I happen to have been a car racer in the past, but I can feel the difference on my bike or in my cage when the over inflation gets above around 4 psi.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Brian - You haven't mentioned the actual tire pressures that you've set, which BMW says should be around 36/42 F/R. A few years ago I somehow got this reversed in my mind and had the front set at 42psi for many thousands of miles. Handling was noticeably improved when I finally corrected my mistake.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    So if you set your tires on a 65 degree day to +2psi and a few days later go ride it on a 105 degree day (so now they're +6psi "cold") you don't need to be a racer to feel that the steering is lighter.

I happen to have been a car racer in the past, but I can feel the difference on my bike or in my cage when the over inflation gets above around 4 psi.
    I agree, if one is reasonably attuned to their bike they should be able to feel those differences.

But, IIRC the OP is new to the bike and had only about 500-1,000 miles on it. My thinking was that given that, it might be helpful to ride another bike (same model and tires) to see if the sensation they are experiencing is specific to their bike or to the model/tire combo.

Many riders will swear that one tire is significantly better or worse than another because of what they want/except in a tire and how they perceive a tire as being stable, or predictable, or too twitchy, or too numb. It is easy to get 20 different riders place all of those characteristics on one tire, because most every street rider has their own unique preferences and doesn't have much if any true/proper back-to-back testing experience.

If Brian test rides a demo and finds it responds the same as his, and the shop identifies that the bike is running properly, he'll know that his bike is okay and he simply needs to get used to how it feels vs the Multistrata. However, if there is a noticeable difference between the two then he has a proper benchmark and can try to identify the cause of the problem.

There's nothing that can sap a rider's enjoyment and confidence in a bike as quickly as not being comfortable with its setup and feeling secure that it is safe.

When a rider "knows" that the bike is safe then they can explore how it feels and responds with a lot more comfort. If there is a problem with the handling then it is very important to get that addressed asap.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I have noticed some buffeting on the XR and RT when is traffic and a lot of semis in the vicinity. One causes a little but when the air very dirty it gets much worse. I used to notice some on the Ultra Classics I used to ride but not as much. Probably due to weight and a lower center of gravity of the HDs.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Very interesting dialogue. Something I had not expected and truly appreciate. The tires were set at 36 F and 42 R in the morning prior to departure, but honestly I did not pay any attention afterwards.
    From these comments that have been kindly provided, itís beginning to sound like a design attribute that Iíll become accustomed to in a short while and in effect will be nothing more than getting used to the new ride.
    Going in for service next week and all shall be revealed...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    I agree, if one is reasonably attuned to their bike they should be able to feel those differences.

But, IIRC the OP is new to the bike and had only about 500-1,000 miles on it. My thinking was that given that, it might be helpful to ride another bike (same model and tires) to see if the sensation they are experiencing is specific to their bike or to the model/tire combo.

Many riders will swear that one tire is significantly better or worse than another because of what they want/except in a tire and how they perceive a tire as being stable, or predictable, or too twitchy, or too numb. It is easy to get 20 different riders place all of those characteristics on one tire, because most every street rider has their own unique preferences and doesn't have much if any true/proper back-to-back testing experience.

If Brian test rides a demo and finds it responds the same as his, and the shop identifies that the bike is running properly, he'll know that his bike is okay and he simply needs to get used to how it feels vs the Multistrata. However, if there is a noticeable difference between the two then he has a proper benchmark and can try to identify the cause of the problem.

There's nothing that can sap a rider's enjoyment and confidence in a bike as quickly as not being comfortable with its setup and feeling secure that it is safe.

When a rider "knows" that the bike is safe then they can explore how it feels and responds with a lot more comfort. If there is a problem with the handling then it is very important to get that addressed asap.
    Great answer Alan.

If one knows they are safe and it is a nuance of the bike you can adapt and adjust with confidence. If you are wondering or do not know you will always be unsettled and never enjoy the motorcycle.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by gt40guy View Post
    Very interesting dialogue. Something I had not expected and truly appreciate. The tires were set at 36 F and 42 R in the morning prior to departure, but honestly I did not pay any attention afterwards.
    From these comments that have been kindly provided, itís beginning to sound like a design attribute that Iíll become accustomed to in a short while and in effect will be nothing more than getting used to the new ride.
    Going in for service next week and all shall be revealed...
    Brian
    Given this tire pressure data, I suspect buffeting from traffic. I used to commute on the highway on a 2005 RT from New Hampshire down to Massachusetts and would feel some twitchiness/wandering mostly during the afternoon when it was a bit breezy and there was significant traffic (especially trucks).

Good Luck
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    I switch back and forth between a 2017 R1200 RT, a 2004 R1150RT (until recently) and an R1150GS. Without a doubt, the R1200 feels as you describe on highways with truck buffeting or gusty winds...
    I just rode my new R1200RS for the first time in gusty winds and noticed this, but I thought it was my imagination. Maybe not. I'm comparing it to my R1200ST.
    Rinty

Fairing

Quote Originally Posted by gt40guy View Post
    Hi folks, Iím new to BMW and an Ď18 R1200RT. Iíve got around 500 miles on the clock now and last Friday took a ride up the Maine coast, hotter than blazes (106 degrees on the pike) but everything seemed fine until I got on the Maine Turnpike to head south. At speeds a bit north of 65-70 the bike seems to lighten up and feels a bit ďsquirrelyĒ. I canít say it moves around but it just feels odd and does not inspire confidence. My 09 Ducati 1100S Mulitstrada started to hunker down at these speeds and felt like it would hold the road no matter what I did. It was absolutely on rails.
    Tire pressures are good, Iím riding one up, with side cases and the ESA is set to Normal and Ride Mode to Road. Moving the windscreen up or down has no apparent effect.
    Has anyone encountered this before? Is it something that is a characteristic of the bike that I have to get used to? The bike will be in of service soon and Iíll speak to the dealer then and have them test ride it, but Iím wondering if this is a one off or me.

Thanks

Brian
    Brian,

Iíve had many sport bikes and they all felt planted at speed; however I agree with you about the squirrelly feel. The RT1250 I have is like that at speeds over 80. Go 130 and itís uncomfortable, i think itís the fairing with all that protection it affords. The aerodynamics just arenít as good as a full on sport bike.

My zx12 and 14 was very stable at 130 and more

Jerry
    Jerry
    2019 R1250 RT Carbon Black (The fast one!)

I am currently, for the summer, riding and touring on a G3010GS. We did the same last year. On good two-lane roads there is no twitchiness. On the Interstates with either trucks or minivans the wretched airflow off the back of these causes turbulance that is evident. Back off, or live with it. I can feel the turbulance following 6 or even 8 seconds back. Perfect following distance for another minivan or SUV to pass and get in line. Such is Interstate America which I avoid as much as possible.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 07-25-2019 at 03:45 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I get that with mine too, especially out here on I-10.. lots of semis, everyone moving at 75-85mph. It starts to twitch a little about 2-300 yards back. Generally I move over and ramp it up a bit as I pass so I'm not in the wash too long. Smooths out once you're past. You get used to it and the upside is the handling is so delightful under almost all other conditions, at least for a full-on touring bike.

As I recall my 2012 camhead did much the same thing although it wasn't quite as light handling in other situations as the newer one. I'm still on the original PR4GT's at 8000 miles with decent tread left. I expect to get 10K but by then the handling will have deteriorated I'm sure.
    2014 F800GT Valencia Orange
    2017 R1200RT Carbon Black

It depends on where you are from

This year I added a 2018 R1200RT to my garage. For the past five years I have been riding a Suzuki 650 VStrom which I still own. The Suzuki is blown all over the road at highway speeds by truck wash and winds. The RT seems really planted with some buffeting. A huge difference.
    My best experience with wind was on a dual sport Suzuki DR 650 for 8,000 miles in South America including Patagonia where they have 50 mph sustained winds. Hard to describe the experience. Had to stop facing into the wind.

I do not feel any "twitchyness" at any speed on either bike except in heavy traffic with trucks mixed in. I have taken both bikes to their max and they were steady as train on a rail.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

I'd suspect the tire(s). I've had bad tires on a bike twice, once was on a brand new bike. Both times the bikes' symptoms were the same. Most recently, I replaced tires on my RT in anticipation of a 6,000+ mile trip. The front tire was trash from the get go, leaving the bike with a twitchy, un-planted feeling. I suffered with this over my entire trip, unable to comfortably run the 80 mph speed limits on western Interstates. Upon returning home, I replaced the trash tire (Conti RA3GT) with a nice PR4GT and restored the ride I was accustomed too.