• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What is the best used bike?

How is that for a topic?

No, the answer is (probably) not the bike you are trying to sell. What I'm looking for is the best bike for ME. But I haven't ridden enough different bikes and am looking for input from the forum on what would be good.

So, what's going to make a good bike for me? First a little background: I've owned a K75T for over 30 years. During that time, I've put 100k miles on the bike. That's not a lot of miles per year, and I hope to ride more in the future. The bike has been great. Its never left me stranded, has decent wind protection, good enough handling and a smooth ride. So, why get rid of it? Well, it's been totaled 3 times (long story), the seat needs new foam, several pieces of body work need replacement and the seals/gaskets are starting to go (can you believe the gaskets have lasted only 32 years?!). And a new clutch is probably around the corner. I could fix all this. It would be several thousand dollars, and I'd be left with a bike with 1987 technology, performance, etc.

I may be wrong, but I think I can do better....

So, what's going to be 'better'?

Well, what I do on the bike is mostly commuting in the SF Bay area. So something where the max width is the handlebars is needed to make lane splitting easy. I do take it on trips, so removable hard luggage and a comfortable riding position would be great, along with a way to strap on a tent and sleeping bag. I park it in a garage in between my neighbors cars, so the ~87 inch length of the K75 must not be exceeded by more than a couple of inches. While I've taken the K75 to the track (Thunder Hill is FUN), I'm not going to be the fastest guy on the track, so don't need to pretend I am and racer performance is not relevant. I don't go off road.

Budget? 7-9k? Am I delusional in thinking I can pick up a bike meeting the above that was build in the 2010's for this price? If so, please tell me. I won't be offended. But a quick check on eBay says that I might be OK.

What I'm looking for from the forum is something like "you should check out the BMW model XYZ. But watch out for the 20XX model year(s) because the drive lines fails/is known for surging/some other problem I would have never known about unless I asked."

Ultimately, I'm at the beginning of my purchase process and am looking for thoughts on what might be good for me, rather than a specific bike for sale.

TIA for your thoughts!

Easy peasy. Simple as simple can be. K75S

If you want a bit more modern then F800s

Want newer yet then R9T set up as an urban warrior bike

An Oilhead without the servo-assist (whizzy) brakes should cost around 2~3K and be nearly bullet proof. Almost as bullet proof as a K75.

An F800ST or the later F800GT would be in your budget and do what you are looking for. I commute in the Seattle area year around and take it on multi-state trips. With some bar risers and lowered foot pegs, the ergos become nicely relaxed.

Chris

You might also consider a brand new BMW. Like either the G310R or G310GS, out the door for less than the $7,000 you are thinking about spending. ABS is a huge improvement over the K you've been riding.

Voni
sMiling

If it has to be a BMW . . . then I agree with Paul and Voni. Especially as regards the F800 (my current bike) or the G310 (my likely next bike).

If you are open to another brand, then I recommend you go with either a Honda or Yamaha (most reliable bikes made), choose some model comparable to the BMW 800 or 310.

Good luck.

Easy peasy. Simple as simple can be. K75S

Thanks Paul. But I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. First: are you saying K75's in general or specifically a K75S(I always thought the red one was the most beautiful bike BMW made!)? i.e. why would the 'S' be different than the rest of the K75 line?

Second: The assumption I have in my question is that a 'modern' bike will give me better performance/safety/reliability with less maintenance (old gaskets/hoses/wear and tear). By specifically calling out a bike that hasn't been build in the last 20+ years, are you suggesting I'm making the wrong tradeoff or perhaps I'm making the wrong assumption?

You might also consider a brand new BMW. Like either the G310R or G310GS, out the door for less than the $7,000 you are thinking about spending. ABS is a huge improvement over the K you've been riding.

Voni
sMiling

Thanks Voni! That's one hell of a review!

Thanks Paul. But I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. First: are you saying K75's in general or specifically a K75S(I always thought the red one was the most beautiful bike BMW made!)? i.e. why would the 'S' be different than the rest of the K75 line?

Second: The assumption I have in my question is that a 'modern' bike will give me better performance/safety/reliability with less maintenance (old gaskets/hoses/wear and tear). By specifically calling out a bike that hasn't been build in the last 20+ years, are you suggesting I'm making the wrong tradeoff or perhaps I'm making the wrong assumption?

I had a 1986 K75T. I rode it 369,643 miles in 19 years, before it was totalled in an accident. At that moment I was 7 days and 40 states into a 49 state ride. The notion that these bikes somehow rot with age is wrong. Change brake lines to Speigler once, replace a seal occasionally maybe, fuel hose maybe, etc. That bike never had the head off, never had any transmission work. Basically routine maintenance, brake pads, a driveshaft or two.

I specifically said K75S model because you wanted something with narrow bars. Ditto why I said F800S. I agree with the post that an R1100R or RS would be OK but was really thinking lighter and smaller than that.

Last edited:
K75

I agree with Paul but would throw in the K75C model as well. i know of one owner with, at the time, over 450k miles with only routine service and a timing chain! Not that I'm prejudice but my current "newest" bike is a 1987 K75C. It does everything I need it to do and doesn't shed a lot of heat on my thighs as some models do.
Plus, the price for a good used one is well within or below what you want to pay!

Thanks Paul and BoxerBruce.

You are making an excellent argument for me to spend the $$ on my K75T!

Thanks Paul and BoxerBruce.

You are making an excellent argument for me to spend the $$ on my K75T!

In my post #12 I failed to mention that I still have a couple of K75s. A K75RTP former police bike and a '94 low seat standard. The cop bike has about 50K on it and the standard has right at 125K. It will get a new clutch this fall.

This is a kinda of late to the party response..
But I've got to echo what Voni wrote
Get ABS
I got ABS this summer and I feel MUCH safer.
In a emergency fully clamp on the brakes, all the way and try and swerve around your problem.
ABS works really good.

If you are open to another brand, then I recommend you go with either a Honda or Yamaha (most reliable bikes made), choose some model comparable to the BMW 800 or 310.

You can buy a brand new Honda CB500X and some accessories with your budget and it will last “for the duration.” It’s the perfect bike for lane splitting and all those delicious NorCal twisties. :nod

Attachments

• D749A70A-AEF2-493D-B0F7-6391559946E0.jpeg
    D749A70A-AEF2-493D-B0F7-6391559946E0.jpeg
    698.5 KB · Views: 129
Back