Thread: When to change the Alternator Belt on 2011 RT

When to change the Alternator Belt on 2011 RT

Just completing my 24000 mile service at 25000 miles on my 2011 R1200RT. Should I be changing out my alternator belt at this time? I cannot find a schedule and do not want a broken belt on my next trip.
    Don
    2011 R1200RT
    Mar Vista, CA

OLD BULL

Factory suggestion.

The BMW maintenance manual says every 36k miles. When I did that the old one looked as good as the new one.

My maintenance DVD says every 40,000 km (24,000 mi) or every six years.

Yeah, my old one looked like the new one at that interval. I suspect the belt is actually good for at least twice that distance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

When to change the Alternator Belt on 2011 RT

Do what many of us did; change the belt.

If the belt you remove looks to be in excellent condition stick it in your saddlebag as a spare!

By the way, if youíve never changed an alternator belt on these bikes before watch some YouTube videos on how itís done and be careful not to pinch your fingers... so Iíve heard.

Lefty
    (Just kidding)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed mine out at 12k only because the bike turned 6 years old (I bought it last year).
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

I was sure wondering about the changing of the belt and when. I bought a used 2009 rt last August and had to relearn to ride and use the throttle, I can't tell you how much fun I've been having after 35 years of not riding, didn't have the time and moving around for work. The sales man told me everything was good on the bike, no far from it. After I looked at everything I was surprised the thing ran. I've been working on cars and bikes since the early 70's and building choppers so I know a bit but BMW's are very different animals. I think I need to get a belt. Just got new tires, Michelin P 4, I feel like I'm riding a Goldwing now the ride is so much smoother since I have my seat problem sorted out for the time being. It seems everyone else has bought the custom made seats, I can't afford them so I took mine apart and redid the hi-density foam, I could not put my feet flat on the ground with the stock seat as it was and I was not riding with out that. I'm the guy who modifies almost everything a lot or a little to suit me, the ride is great now, very smooth. I took the tires off and installed the new tires as far as I could with irons then found a small tire shop to finish putting the rubber on, they only charged me for taking the two used tires, can't beat that, I'm 67 and love doing my own work and yes I've cracked the cases on mc's, sure hope you all understand mechanic talk.

Had mine changed at 12K for the trip to Ak. last summer. The one being replaced looked near new as well. I'll have the belt changed out again at the 36K mile service.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

I agree that they will probably last longer time than the 36k/6 years, age will probably get more of them than miles...

Easy 15 minute job and not that expensive (when purchased from Beemerboneyard with the MOA discount).

Here's a video on how it comes off/on
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    every 24000 miles...i've done my 4 times now... ALL of them looked new when i took them off....one spare on the bike for good measure...
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    I agree that they will probably last longer time than the 36k/6 years, age will probably get more of them than miles...

Easy 15 minute job and not that expensive (when purchased from Beemerboneyard with the MOA discount).

Here's a video on how it comes off/on
    i use a big ass adjustable end wrench (cresent) and remove the tupperware bracket on the left side by the belt cover...WAY easier with that out of the way...
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic