• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

/5 Kickstarter

sloane

I recently acquired a 1971 75/5. My wife gets mad when she see me sitting in the driveway drinking a beer and just staring at it because it is so beautiful. Anyway, it does not have a kickstarter. Does anyone have experience/advice on the difficulty/cost of adding one? Thanks.

I don't recall if a non-kickstart model was an option that early on. I know for the later models that did not come standard with the kicker, it was an option to add it. At a minimum, the rear cover would need to be replaced along with adding the kicker lever and internal elements. You might be better off considering purchase of a spare transmission with a kick start and having it overhauled for retrofitting to the bike.

Why do you desire to have a kick starter on the bike?

Personally, I'm not sure the cost/effort would be worth it. There are some benefits I suppose, but that's where one has to weight those costs. It's a point of contention, but generally speaking the /5 kick mechanism was not as robust as that of the /2 that proceeded it. The /5 kick start was considered more of a backup to the electrical start...the /2 had to electric start. At best, the kick start for the /5 was more of an emergency need if the starter failed. But all of the /6-on models that followed it don't seem to need the backup. Plus we've all figured out ways to bump start the bike to get going.

Sorry, I don't have any solid costs, but my gut is that a spare transmission overhauled would be upwards of $750-1000. Maybe yours could be overhauled for half to three quarters of that.

Yes, all /5's came with electric and kick starters. They were all 4 speed tranny's. I'm thinking yours may have been changed out to a later 5 speed tranny '75 or newer.:dunno Just guessin.

Just another guess, maybe the kick lever has been removed. Maybe show a pic of the tranny to ID it. :)

Just another guess, maybe the kick lever has been removed. Maybe show a pic of the tranny to ID it. :)

Even if the lever has been removed, there will still be a shaft sticking out the rear cover of the transmission with a flat area machined on the shaft to accept the locating pin for the kickstart lever. BTW, /5 kickstart trannies were all 4 speeds. There was also a /6 kickstart for at least 74 as standard equipment, but that was a 5 speed. They could be, and often were, interchanged.

Friedle

Back